SAU Community

"shaved Injectors" ?

Whilst getting square eyes I stumbled on a string at Probe Talk about modified side feed Nissan SR20 injectors for the Probe V6 .

They claim that these Nissan side feed injectors have a cap with four small holes spot welded at the business end , if this cap is removed you find a single pintle valve that gives a nice pattern and a garden variety NA SR 20 injector of 270cc suddenly becomes 550cc . Some jem from George Dubbyaville worked out that the mod gives 2.15 times the std flow rate which is a bit interesting eh ? I could be wrong but the 370cc version gave I think up round 740cc . The KA24DE (DOHC 16 from US spec S14) must have 440cc squirters and ended up in the 800's somewhere .

Do a search on shaved injectors but have plenty of time to read the posts .

Is this stuff well known about or just new to me ?

Cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

disco: a while back i bought some direct replacement 550cc injectors from the forums here, when they arrived i noticed that they were EXACTLY the same externally as the set of RB25DE 270cc injectors that i have here. i mean same colour, same markings, same numbers and everything. i was initially annoyed because i thought i'd been ripped off, but upon looking closer i found only one difference between the two injectors - the tips.

the bigger flowing injectors have a single large pintle, whereas the N/A injectors have the four tiny holes as you described.

i assumed that the guts of the injectors had been removed, and fitted with a single larger pintle. it does look to me now that you can remove the very end of the N/A injectors somehow - i will rip one apart tomorrow and see what i can find. it is very possible that this is what has happened, the 4-hole cap has been removed, but i'm not 100% sure yet.

i'll let you know tomorrow if i remember to pull this injector apart.

this has grabbed my attention, if stocky can get some pics of the injector before and after it would be great as i don't have any spare side feeds here atm.

as for spray pattern, we would only be guessing as to how poor it may or may not be, alot of factory injectors that are single pintle have less then optimal spray patterns anyway, it would need to be tested i guess.

Heheh if thats the case, you just saved my self $900 for 555cc Nismo's!

How accurate is this for the RB25DET injectors?

Cheers

Edited by QRI05E

More searching to be done . I remember one convert saying that they were getting good spray patterns and factory std idle so looking good thus far .

Acid test will be testing along side a factory high flow injector ie Nippon Denso 555/740cc injector .

My FJ20ET had single pintle Bosch 403 550cc injectors fitted and I think some top feed RX7 turbo injectors are a similar thing but high current low resistance .

Would really like to see if end caps with set hole sizes can be obtained to retain the multi hole spray pattern .

Cheers A .

So far good reads at :

1) Probe Talk - "How to get 550-600cc injectors for $100 - for our stock rails"

2) NASIOC - "740cc injectors for free"

Some people in the US are claiming that Nissan side feed injectors are all the same but with caps of different sized holes to graduate maximum flow . Makes sense if the only difference is the plastic dye and end cap .

They seem to be using Pink Red and Blue/Grey colour coded injectors and with the cap off claim 440 550 and 880cc flow rate at I think around 43 Psi .

There is some kind of injector from a "KL" whatever that is that even has a plastic cover cap that aims the stream at each inlet valve but need more time to look into that one .

What Arnie said , cheers A .

post-9594-1167696182.jpg

post-9594-1167696233.jpg

post-9594-1167696254.jpg

post-9594-1167696293.jpg

post-9594-1167696313.jpg

guys i just went and cut apart one of my N/A injectors here in the garage, took some photos but you can't really see anything properly so i'll just tell you what i found.

the single pintle injector on the right is my 550cc injector, the one on the left is a factory RB25DE injector. they look the same and have the same casings etc, the only difference appears to be the little end cap which has the four tiny holes as per photos above. post-14902-1167697148.jpg

the cap is very thin steel but is spot welded to the tip of the injector in a very neat (and very strong) manner. i couldn't remove it easily, so i had to cut it off with a hacksaw until i could remove the whole piece in sections. unfortunately this resulted in the end of the injector being rooted as well, as the depth required to hacksaw to remove the cap was too great. it's hard to explain in words, i wish my close-up photos had tuned out but they didn't.

it appears as if the single large pintle in the injector seats on the back of the cap. this would make sense because if it didn't, then there would be a small section of liquid fuel sitting between the two which would ruin the pressure differential and thus spray pattern. if the pintle seals against the cap with the 4 holes, then as it unseats off the back and the rear of the cap is exposed to full fuel rail pressure, the 4 holes would act to atomise the fuel fairly well. they are pretty tiny after all. what would be interesting would be to compare an RB25DE injector with an RB25DET injector, and see if the 4 holes in the end cap are larger. this may be the only difference, i'm not sure?

anyway i hacked the rest of the thing apart just for kicks, it's all pressed together so i'm not sure how you would disassemble an injector if you ever felt the need.

what i think has been done with mine is that the end cap has been removed with great precision, and then the tip of the injector pintle has been re-seated on the casing (again, hard to explain, easy to see). this might then allow the thing to have a decent spray pattern with the cap removed.

i'll have the things flow tested in a couple of months i hope, so i will see what the results are like then.

cheers

Very intresting... this may save some people a LOT of money... anywhere i sydney that can "highflow" the stock RB25DET injectors?

I contacted Power Flow in wetherill park and he quoted $800 for a full set of 550cc "highflowed" RB25 injectors... which i would rather get the Nismo's

Cheers

contact DeatschWerks [[email protected]] they can do a set of highflows for around 600 delivered and pay $25.00 US per injector core if you return your old ones to them, works out $178.00 AUD return in the end and so far no problems yet very reliable as well and works out the cheapest method that is for a set of 550 highlows with average around 542 minimum to 547 max CC flow id recommend them,

Cheers Adam

There turn around varies as with fedex couriers, for instance may take upto two weeks which is normal for fedex from the states to here postage, as with return for your money well, it took 4 week via airpost australia for my injectors to arrive and also for my payment to arrive to me via paypal which again i would consider normal aswell, but dont limit yourself they are available in all sizes from them.

Hope that helps

Cheers Adam

Again i must say that they do come with accurate flow sheets with all data refering to each injector which is another garantee of accuracy and dedication to there job.

Edited by Devils_Advocate21

Unfortunatly i dont have a Paypal account to order from DeatschWerks and for $300 extra i can get a set of Nismo 555cc delivered and sell my injectors for $200...

Cheers

well like i said earlier i linished a stock sr20 injector taking the cap off witht he 4 small holes revealing the large pintle.

I went to my friends work today and flowned them, with it linished flows around 780 cc with was at 50 psi

post-29334-1167710907.jpg

Edited by GTR1993

Had a little go at this today with my day off work. Used rb25de injectors. Thanks very much for sharing this too disco really good info.

I have 2x sets of rb25de injectors so I had a muck up go on my shit ones's and will do my existing ones better tomorrow. Here are some pics:

Dremel action:

Before:

p1000052sk0.th.jpg

After:

p1000047sl4.th.jpg

p1000045pv2.th.jpg