SAU Community

Pod Filter Custom Cover - Ebay

matteh33

As usual with these types of partitions, there is nowhere to get air from unless you have an FMIC with "over the radiator" return pipe.

Also there is no provision for the factory air intake.

For the $$ + postage you could make a better one yourself if you have the time, inclination, tools and patience...

Yeah id say your still liable to be defected. Especially if you install the neon they say comes with it or whatever. Nothing says "look at me/defect me" than a lit up box in your engine bay.

Besides the fact that the air inside that partition is going to heat up mighty quickly considering the perspex is going to do nothing to stop radiated heat.

You're better off going for an insulated opaque box painted black to look as factory as possible.

lazy bastard is right. make one yourself, custom fitted to your setup.

i saw these on ebay yesterday, and my first question was, what are these made of? they dont look like they'd keep heat out. they look like they'd melt if anything.

Putting an extra box on top of a pod filter doesn't turn it into something else.

If you have an aftermarket cooler, and a pod filter (regardless of whether the filter is in a restrictive box) you will still get defected.

lol you could build that yourself for $10 with supplies from bunnings, and you could even save yourself the embarrassment of having a neon light in your engine bay.

At best it'll keep hot air out, but I'd question the heat resistance of the unit, esp near a nice top mount setup etc. Its not gonna stop you from gettin defected.

with the heat of the engine bay perspex will melt and disform.

i have made heaps of heat sheilds to re-route air into the box and still cut engine heat and after a hell of a lot of testing i found what worked best.

using a stainless stell box was best with rubber on the side walls of the box. Also you cannot have a totally sealed box, it must have somewhere , where clean dense air can enter , either usinghte stock intake pipe or re-routing it from the front bumper :wave:

personally this ebay one wouldnt last too long im guessing

i made mine myself, will post pics soon, looks like factory. It's made out of an aluminum panel composite, called alucobond, 1mm aly 3 mm polyurathena a 1 mm aly again. Then all lined with 15mm thermoinsluation foam, and the air picked up from the fornt bar via old hole for cooler. Dropped the engine intake temps dramatically, will post some pics soon.

i made mine myself, will post pics soon, looks like factory. It's made out of an aluminum panel composite, called alucobond, 1mm aly 3 mm polyurathena a 1 mm aly again. Then all lined with 15mm thermoinsluation foam, and the air picked up from the fornt bar via old hole for cooler. Dropped the engine intake temps dramatically, will post some pics soon.

Will be interested to see some pics of your air box!

i have made two custom setups...with a new 3" intake form the front bar, covers etc.

I went back to stock..wacked in a trust high-flow filter and saw the same, if not better, dyno results. The sealed setup + pressure of the seal stock boxes make them hard to beat IMO. There have been numerous external tests which have showed without a sealed unit u are pretty much wasting ur time. After making numerous custom setups for both my cars...I now have stock airboxes...but beter ducting/intakes.

Makes no "whoosh" noise, and 1 less defect for them to get me on in the future

I'll post up some pics tonight for you. The box i have made is sealed, well preatty much.

So how does the stock box appear to give much better midrange torque? I did the enclosure as the car already came with the pod and so forth.

i use the stock airbox 2...

but im just wondering which external tests are these ???

whenever i take the lid of the airbox off i always get another 5kw or so on the dyno (its sucking in hotter air obviously.. which isnt good)

and evan when i cut a big hole in the side of the top of the airbox it gained another 3kw... so im curious how your airbox made a higher figure on the dyno than it would with a pod ????

There have been numerous external tests which have showed without a sealed unit u are pretty much wasting ur time.

• 5 weeks later...