SAU Community

First Mod - Advice

Hey Guys,

My R33 will arrive Mid August - Now I am planning my first mod - Wanted to get feedback / input from the forum:

The car comes from Japan with:

Cat back exhaust

Pod

AFC

Turbo Timer

Suspension

Wheels & Tyres

What the first mod I should do to her ?? ie Biggest bang for my $$$

FMIC ??

Cat forward manifold/exhaust ??

CPU ??

Boost Contoller ??

Strut Braces ??

Cold Air I ?

PS - WTF does an AFC do ? I know what it does theoretically , but don't understand the benefit ??

Guest Boxhead

the biggest hp to dollar value will be nos, however, its a bit dogy for your engine...

i was like that too mate, having money.. ready to buy stuff for car..

but my advice, is dont buy mods straight away, get your car on the road, and drive for a while.. before you do anything, so you have money just incase sh*t goes wrong and stuff.. trust me, if you have no cash, it will go wrong hahaha..

Well- Semi legal mod......NOS is not on my list ......

No harm in planning mods now - you never know what will happen in the future -

i had similar mods on mine when i got it (cat back, hks pod and some suspension stuff) - my first mod was a FMIC and bleed valve:

MacMasters%20Beach%20015.jpg

following, i got an oil catch can and strut brace ...

Picture%20001.jpg

then i finished my exhaust (3 1/4 off turbo and 3 1/2 cat back)...

Picture%20008.jpg

this set up made 162 rwkw on 9psi..

hope this helps.

Originally posted by brendanf

Cat forward manifold/exhaust ??

Turbo back or dump pipe.

-----------

I gather you want power/speed out of your first mod.

I'd suggest a FMIC and up the boost. after that a P-FC can unlock a decent amount of kw.

I was wanting to go to 10 and bypass the factory solenoid altogether so its always at 10psi. Can I do this with a bleed valve and a std cooler?? Is it worth it for the power, is there a noticeable difference? (I have a series II also)

Originally posted by Boxcar Racer

the biggest hp to dollar value will be nos, however, its a bit dogy for your engine...

i was like that too mate, having money.. ready to buy stuff for car..

but my advice, is dont buy mods straight away, get your car on the road, and drive for a while.. before you do anything, so you have money just incase sh*t goes wrong and stuff.. trust me, if you have no cash, it will go wrong hahaha..

Someones been watching The Fast and the Furious! :)

FMIC - Front Mount INtercooler

Black33 - You can notice the difference quite considerably.. mines runnign on 9.5psi and its an animal.. when it hits boost in the dry in 2nd I lose traction and all hell breaks loose.. and ive got 255s on the rear :)

My next Mod is definatley a front Mount then run 12psi.. then after that, 3.5" dump from the turbo.. then new turbo.. then 14psi.. then powerfc, then more boost, then new internals.. then... the list goes on!

Yip - all good stuff. My first mod on my totally stock R33 was a boost controller, followed by a K&N and turbo back exhaust (though yours already has a good exhaust thus saving a bit of coin!)

I have also spent a fair bit of money on dyno and workshop time to ensure everything was A-OK and operating at it's peak, eg changing the timing, plug gap, plugs on a dyno.

My next mod (if I don't trade the car on something else) will be a front mount followed by a ECU.

Hope you enjoy your new beast!

GW

ex-static it might be better if you change the order of your mods.

the best way is generally boost controler. fmic,ecu for tuning s-afc or power fc. then fuel pump then turbo then dump pipe.

I'm running 8-10 psi on mine at the moment and I miss the power I had b4 so I'm looking at options.in the bigger turbo dept atm

meggala