SAU Community

R33 Fmic Installation Tips

frozenwaffles

Hi guys, just thought i would post up one of the most helpful tips when installing a Just Jap or Hybrid or similar FMIC. One ommision from these kits is the nipple for the boost controller which is actually just amazing. anyway...

Some poeple believe you can take a feed off something else such as the blow off valve or something after the throttle body. this is not correct. GFB state this in bold in their Atomic boost controller install instructions and i have scoured other boost controller instructions and they all take a pressure feed from before the throttle body.

so to have this available i have used the pipe work that you would normally take out for this intercooler upgrade.

there are two stock pipes that run down throught the metal work of the car to the stock intercooler location. one you would norammly keep which runs from the turbo to the intercooler. the other is normally upgraded with the chrome piping comming from the other side of the engine bay.

if you chop this discarded pipe about 2 thrids of the way down, you can use it to replace the stock pipe that is still in place. you will then have a nipple available to feed your boost controller.

i will post picks of what i have done, but i am much happier i have finnally got the pressure feed correct.

peace out people...

any questions just ask...

i just drill a hole in the pipe and tap a thread and screw in a nipple easy simple and quick

Hey mate,

Where do i go and what od i ask for to get everything i need to do this?

Also does it have any problmes leaking boost at high levels?

Cheers

• 8 months later...

Does it matter where the nipple is positioned? (ie, referring to the picture posted, does it have to be on the top silver IC piping or the bottom black IC piping or does it make SFA difference?)

• 2 weeks later...

What the wall thickness of the stock pipes? I dont think the JJ kits Aluminium piping is very thick. It would be nice to have about 2mm of wall thickness to tap into. You can do the pipe just coming out of the turbo (stock pipe) or the one oafter the intercooler.

If you have a pressure drop across your cooler you may get different boost levels depending where you position it.

• 4 months later...

Your nearest competent exhaust shop can supply and fit a nipple in for $10 or less. Exhaust Technology Kings Park in Adelaide does it.

Edited by typevu

ay guys wheres the stocko location for the airbag sensor, atm mines between i/c and radiator, its holding my car up from getting a roadworthy coz my mechanic is unsure about it

alex

• 3 weeks later...

im in the middle of installing my just jap front mount, and i just drilled a hole, made sum threads and screwed in a nipple - easy.

one problem i am having is the front indicator/parking lights dont go all the way bak into there position because the bak hits the front mount. :|

oh and the little pipe that you have to drill and connect the boost hose too looks abit wonked and its pissing me off abit, doesnt look all straight

any help guys?

ps i havent trimmed the fan blades

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
AVC-R states after the throttle???

Dudes,

A boost GAUGE would be connected after the throttle body. IE, the inlet manifold.

A boost CONTROLLER/wastegate would be connected before the throttle body.

A controller needs to open the wastegate to adjust the boost, so when you take your foot off the throttle, the pressure before the throttle body, will rise, because the throttle body will close and the turbo will still be pumping boost. So at this point the pressure after the throttle body will be bugger all (which is what you want your bosst gauge to read), but the boost before the throttle body will keep going up until the wastegate is opened. So you want your boost controller connected before the throttle body so that when the boost tries to go past what you have dialed into the settings, it will open the wastegate for you to prevent overboosting.