SAU Community

Test Drove A Mazda3 Mps

Smurf

Hey all,

Test drove a Mazda3 MPS yesterday. The sales rep cam along so I thought I wouldn't get the chance to give the car a real test.

Per previous tests the sales person drove it out of the show room and up the road. Next minute I know he has absolutely floored it and man it goes.

We hit 110 kmh in no time. I was worried as we approached a crest at around 90 and still accelerating. Such thrust from low in the rev range. Can hardly believe it is torque limted in first and second. Turbo engines have come along way with direct injection etc. It's amazing how easy it is to get from 60 km/h. I thought I was doing around 40 when it was showing 60.

I think on boost my car would go close to keeping up however would be belted below 4000 rpm.

My driving by comparison was very conservative. Was difficult to get off the line smoothly with a very quick take up. Didn't get to experience the dynamics give that we were in a built up area with very few non 90 degree bends.

From what I have seen I am very impressed and would probably consider a second hand one in a couple of years (as a second car).

Cheers

P.S. Save the "You are comparing two cars that are 12 years apart" responses. I realise this, I'm just making observations.

It performed very well in Motor magazine's bang for buck competition, beating many cars worth more than double it's price in straight line acceleration and lap times at Oran Park.

All the journo's loved it - bang for buck. You get alot for little outlay.

It's not for me as its FWD - the work of satan. But each to their own.

Be interesting once the aftermarket tuners get hold of them and tickle some more power out of it.

Edited by nismoman

its a lot of power to put to the front wheels , computer limiting or not

and modding it will just make it worse

hopefully a next speced up 4wd varient perhaps..... ?

I asked about a 4wd variant. They guy said probably not because they are concentrating on beating golf gti etc. It could be a ploy for me to buy the current version. Then again, he would probably know as soon as we would.

In relation to putting the power through the front wheels, it didn't seem to limit take off and that was swift. Personally rwd is better though they did a good job with the mps.

the vw golf has gone awd

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_...vw-golf-r32.htm

he car's power is transmitted to all four wheels by way of Volkswagen's 4MOTION all-wheel drive system, which negates traction problems in the wet and the company insists that there is no hint of torque steer that can often hamper front-wheel drive hot hatches. Volkswagen says that, technically speaking, the most important 4MOTION element is the latest generation of the wet (oil bath) plate clutch, because compared with a purely mechanical Torsen differential, the Haldex coupling has the decisive advantage that it can be controlled electronically. Some drivers prefer the purely mechanical Torsen setup seen in vehicles like the Audi S4, the Editor being one of them, while others are keen on electronically controlled systems like the one employed on the newGolf R32.

the vw golf has gone awd

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_...vw-golf-r32.htm

he car's power is transmitted to all four wheels by way of Volkswagen's 4MOTION all-wheel drive system, which negates traction problems in the wet and the company insists that there is no hint of torque steer that can often hamper front-wheel drive hot hatches. Volkswagen says that, technically speaking, the most important 4MOTION element is the latest generation of the wet (oil bath) plate clutch, because compared with a purely mechanical Torsen differential, the Haldex coupling has the decisive advantage that it can be controlled electronically. Some drivers prefer the purely mechanical Torsen setup seen in vehicles like the Audi S4, the Editor being one of them, while others are keen on electronically controlled systems like the one employed on the newGolf R32.

volkswagon has made a 4wd version for quite some time, its nothing new. they have such an aggressive look tho :( FYI it has the audi tt engine in it

Edited by yoshimitsu9

Some drivers prefer the purely mechanical Torsen setup seen in vehicles like the Audi S4, the Editor being one of them, while others are keen on electronically controlled systems like the one employed on the newGolf R32.

Could it be because the editor isn't a pussy?

The 4MOTION system runs at 90% front torque split most of the time, and only goes to a 50:50 split when reacting to electronic sensors?

So the polar opposite of a GT-R. Instead of behaving like a RWD car until it needs AWD grip anb balance, it behaves like a FWD car until that point. Where do I sign up....?

A mate has a mps3 - awesome car!

We were pretty much neck and neck on a launch, rolling run he drilled me (ive only got a cat back and pod - std boost)

They run 15psi from factory - if you want more boost you will need a bigger turbo

The MPS6 i am looking into as my next car - we have a sp23 at home and while its not the fastest car around its a very nice, smooth and comfortable drive.

From what i have read on the mps6, they like to oversteer and stock they put out around 150kw atw - not too shabby!

little front wheel drive cars can be fun. the missus has a n15 SSS pulsar (used to be mine) with 112hp (84kw) at the wheels. all it has is the stock natro sr20 with a k&n panel filter, extractors and 2" cat back. it torque steers like all buggery due to the uneven drive shafts, but goes well. its fun to have drags from the lights with v6 commodores and beat them (only just though). it handles really well (other than the torque steer, which just keeps you on your toes). i keep telling her we should turbo it but she won't let me. the power of a silvia in a car that weighs about 10% less would be good fun.

i'd love a mazda3 mps, or a ford xr5 (which i reakon looks super horn in red). sure they are fwd, but they'd still be great fun to drive. remember that the evo's are a fwd biased 4wd. fwd cars just take more skill to drive fast.

little front wheel drive cars can be fun. the missus has a n15 SSS pulsar (used to be mine) with 112hp (84kw) at the wheels. all it has is the stock natro sr20 with a k&n panel filter, extractors and 2" cat back. it torque steers like all buggery due to the uneven drive shafts, but goes well. its fun to have drags from the lights with v6 commodores and beat them (only just though). it handles really well (other than the torque steer, which just keeps you on your toes). i keep telling her we should turbo it but she won't let me. the power of a silvia in a car that weighs about 10% less would be good fun.

Dumhed's S13 (with a worked NA SR20DE) makes 120rwkW, which is as much power as a stock Australian delivered S15.

Forget the turbo. Just cam it and get management (and a LSD maybe). :stupid:

no fwd bias in the evos - 50/50 split

The MR’s AWD system is essentially an adaptation of a front-driver with a center differential that mechanically splits torque 50/50 front/rear and a hydraulically actuated limited-slip device that can progressively lock the front and rear axles together. Like the Subaru, how much lockup is determined by steering angle, throttle position, wheel speed, and front-to-back or side-to-side g-loads. Each of the Mitsu’s three selectable modes (Tarmac, Gravel, or Snow) has widely different priorities and algorithms that even effect the electronic throttle application. We found the Tarmac mode best suited to Willow’s track, although a less grippy surface might’ve made the Gravel mode a better choice.

Like the Subaru, how much lockup is determined by steering angle, throttle position, wheel speed, and front-to-back or side-to-side g-loads

the early wrx's are very good on a skid pan as you can hold them sideways. the early evo's and galants are a fwd biased. i have driven a wrx and a galant on the skidpan and the wrx will drift really well, but the galant will slide then the front will pull you back straight. no fun at all.

i dont know about early evos

but everything from the vi up with the active center differential and active yaw control systems has the setup listed above , 50/50 center diff with active torque proporsioning

are we talking actual torque splitting or handling feel when were talking bias ?

cause any front engined , front heavy awd car with a 50/50 split will have a handling bias towards the front

early wrx are renowned for their fwd like understeer

Edited by arkon

I think they would be a great car in stock form.

I think personally I would leave it that way, enjoy what the factory delivered and not have to worry about drivability and reliability.

I really want to drive one, only because I imagine they would be a more refined version of my previous car, a modded telstar tx5 turbo, which just so happened to have a load of torque through the front wheels, an LSD which didnt help the torque steer much and very similar peformance times to the mazda.

Seems both have it all low down too, and not much up top.

early wrx are renowned for their fwd like understeer

Early WRX's also didn't run LSDs, and the rear suspension was too soft so it would lift the nose under power. You can get anti-lift kits to cure the latter, and most of them run mechanical LSDs.

Its not just the torque split, although I'd agree that a 50:50 torque split with a front engined car is going to inherently understeer without suspension setup trickery.

according to topgear

the vuakhall astra VXR (holden astra VXR) is shittte as it torque steers like a bitch and, frankly has tooo much power

the focus ST (Focus XR5 Turbo) is one of the hottest hatches around and is just perfect apparently (with a bigger turb, intercooler, up boost and some other small tricky dicky stuff 250kw is acheivable - dont forget, 5cyls, and volvo engines are strong)

the mazda3 mps comes with 190kw and 380nm of torque - thats the same as the base Ford 4L 6cyl!!!