SAU Community

to import or not

That's right.

The compliers can't pass a car unless it's bog standard & they can prove that any mods have been removed & destroyed.

So they can't even sell the parts they take off.

Also, it means the customer has to pay for genuine parts to be fitted in place of anything that had been modified.

Its a rather crappy law now. haha i guess you could go over there, take the mods off (or get someone to do so there) and then container the whole lot over here.

Does anyone know when they will be allowed to resume importing and compliancing cars again? It would be interesting to see what happens in the next 12-18 months.... then again, it might not be.

why cant you buy a car through prestige, pick it and take it home. then you can spend as long as you like making it std and take it to say upi for compliance. then leave std for rwc and rego, and put mods back on after. would be good for say a supra: take of 2540s, cooler, bov, pod, mgt, and make std, then put back on. would be worth the hassle cause no aussies would be bidding on modded cars in japan so would be cheap as!

I would agree with Adam... it would take an exceptional car to make me import privately again. Too much b/s, paperwork, sleepless nights, running around.

But then again, I'd after a pretty stock 96/97 r33 GT-R V-Spec or series 2 r34 GT-t sedan... maybe but doubtful.

I know I got lucky this time, so did Frank it seems but next time...

T.

Iam currently in the process of importing a R34, All I can say is the the new scheme is F$%ked up. It will be another 12 weeks before I can drive my car.

Has any1 imported a car under the new scheme yet?

Guest Tempest

That absoulutlly sucks i had no idea that they had to take the mods off ... Cos i dont wanna put them on again or evan have to buy new ones...

To hell with importing i buy locally

what exactly do u have 2 do over there for compliance ?

we have 2 do a SVA test here , Single Veichle Application .

basically , this involves the fitting of

1 ) fog light + illuminated switch + some amour around wires

2 ) spedo must read in MPH

3 ) fuel neck restrictor

then its stuff like emmissions , noise , tyre's must be eu marked now and basically no protrusions oh and we cant have turbo timer's fitted.

i have imported 2 now , yes its a long wait , well 40 days on boat

and have had the black one in my garage , for 6 weeks now , it may be road legal , in another month or so .

importing , is a very stessful thing , well the first time was , basically , apart from pics , " get pics of every thing even inside the boot " you are sending money blind, how ever i think it is worth it

Ours was less strict than yours. We didn't do emissions or noise. We are strict amount minor stuff like flat mirrors, seat belts, dash illumination, intrusion bars, fluid changes.

Most mods they did not care about and I can tell you that the stuff you can't readily check for was generally not done.

But like any business, there are way around inspections... with the right people and the right amount of money.

After May however... I don't want to think about it.

T.