SAU Community

Upgrade Rad & Thermos

Ryan.R34

Radiator looks good, where did you get it from?

Oh, and from everything I have read, the factory clutch fan will do a better job than those Davies Craig ones, especially if they are unshrouded like that.

Hmmm, okay that's good info.. I took her for a spin today and didn't notice a change in temp, but now you have said that I may have to fab up something. I will give her a hard drive tomorrow and see what happens.

The Rad came from Autobarn, for an R33 and she plonked in no problem into the rubber seats down the bottom. The top brackets I will have to move inwards, no biggy.

Radiator and fans $520 and about 3 hours to install, wire and pretty up ... between beers.

A little strange feel now with the revs climbing faster without the weight of the old fan, I freaked out how heavy the old suckers are when I took it off.

stock replacement radiator or aluminium one?

Aloominoom, they get friggin hot I tell ya, they must not be a good conducter of heat i reckon, but better than the stock one all the same. Was sick of looking at the old fan and was a bit suss about it after having to shape it down when I installed the FMIC.

so she runs cooler.. and u can set the temp.? it actually runs better yes no?

From the little drive I had today I didn't see a difference in temp, but at the same time i didnt hammer it either, I will take her for a drive tomoz . Improved on the revs and feels a little different between gears as the engine is spinning more freely now. I will be moving the top brackets tomoz and give her a good work out.

Yep can control the temp, dial in from 40 - 100 degree

Got rid of the old clunker fan, wacked in some thermos and new radiator today.

Video Link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=__8k4kioic8

Wiring Diagram / Schematic

To wire up 2 x Thermos and Thermo Control Switch

http://daviescraig.com.au/documents/Therma...nstructions.pdf

dont use thoes gay davis craig copper probe temp switch there useless and too f**kin dear

i do rb conversions in to silvias and i have sourced a direct electronic thermo switch that bolts in to the factory overtemp switch spot in the radiator cost me $33 and is off a 80.c and on a 85.c

ill post up a pic of the switch later 2night

dont use thoes gay davis craig copper probe temp switch there useless and too f**kin dear

i do rb conversions in to silvias and i have sourced a direct electronic thermo switch that bolts in to the factory overtemp switch spot in the radiator cost me $33 and is off a 80.c and on a 85.c

ill post up a pic of the switch later 2night

Excellent mate because the switch has been pissing me off today

Excellent mate because the switch has been pissing me off today

here u go as promisted

its a tridon brand part no TFS141

its used in most mitiubishis model from 1992-2004 (ie lancer ,3000gt,manga,mirage)

and it even comes with a o ring

herea a pic up against the factory 1 (yes the tridon 1 is the nice shiney 1)

post-20188-1172740240.jpg

here u go as promisted

its a tridon brand part no TFS141

its used in most mitiubishis model from 1992-2004 (ie lancer ,3000gt,manga,mirage)

and it even comes with a o ring

herea a pic up against the factory 1 (yes the tridon 1 is the nice shiney 1)

post-20188-1172740240.jpg

Awesome thanks bud will look into it :)

• 3 months later...
Hmmm, okay that's good info.. I took her for a spin today and didn't notice a change in temp, but now you have said that I may have to fab up something. I will give her a hard drive tomorrow and see what happens.

The Rad came from Autobarn, for an R33 and she plonked in no problem into the rubber seats down the bottom. The top brackets I will have to move inwards, no biggy.

Radiator and fans $520 and about 3 hours to install, wire and pretty up ... between beers.

A little strange feel now with the revs climbing faster without the weight of the old fan, I freaked out how heavy the old suckers are when I took it off.

Did you notice it getting hotter?

I use to have a thermo on my old S2 RX7, driving normaly it was fine but once you started to do some hard driving the temp went way up, a mate had the same problem in his RX7 but made up a shroud and that made a big difference, still wasnt as good as the old clutch fan tho.

Hi mate,

nice job, I'm in the middle of doing the same. I only bought my 34 a coupla weeks ago and one the way home from picking it up the "standard" clutch fan shredded the radiator?? So the seller fixed me up with a non-turbo rad until he could get me a gtt rad and changed the fan back to the one that was originally on it (this fan had been cut down with a knife).

Anyway this new set-up lasted one 5km drive until the fan chewed it up, I swear they were on backwards but i've seen 3 of them all the same way so dunno? So when he got me the new (very 2nd hand though) rad I went out and got twin 12" thermos (calibre) and davies switch and they kept the temp awesome for about a week, then next drama it looks like after a bit of mountain driving that the bolts from the thermos have bounced a bit and nicked the rads tubes, but the rad was in pretty old condition so it was expected. The temp switch needs to be high-temp siliconed in and use screw-type hose clamps and she gets a perfect seal, but boot_its direct switch looks heaps better and easier!

So now i'm trying to get a new alloy rad, but most don't seem to have the auto-trans cooling internal? did the one from autobarn have this? also looks like the 16" wouldn't fit, sux cause there 120% cooler than twin 12s but it won't fit on a standard rad either. been looking at the JJR cooling pro from just jap, anyone using this rad outthere know what they're like and if they can fit a 16" davies craig?

Cheers

Dyl.

• 6 months later...

I noticed this bloke never replied back about whether his set-up ran cooler after a bit of a good bash...

Makes me 2nd guess on whether this mod is worthwhile or not.. Has anyone thats done this got any good reports yet ? It's been 6 months and still no yay or nay on how well it went. :blink:

I just upgraded to a Koyo Aluminum 2 Row Rad, Nismo Rad Cap, Nismo lower temp thermostat, new OEM waterpump and Flex-a-lite 220 fans with thermo switch. They work amazing. Looks hot, removed my overheating issues. The aluminum rads are lighter than the stock ones, there's also copper koyo rads available but they are way heavier, almost triple the weight. As for cooling efficiency, I've heard that the alum and copper ones are basically the same, but slightly better for the copper ones. The copper conducts heat better. It's also like $200-300 cheaper.

where did you get the flex-a-lite 220 fans from?

I just upgraded to a Koyo Aluminum 2 Row Rad, Nismo Rad Cap, Nismo lower temp thermostat, new OEM waterpump and Flex-a-lite 220 fans with thermo switch. They work amazing. Looks hot, removed my overheating issues. The aluminum rads are lighter than the stock ones, there's also copper koyo rads available but they are way heavier, almost triple the weight. As for cooling efficiency, I've heard that the alum and copper ones are basically the same, but slightly better for the copper ones. The copper conducts heat better. It's also like $200-300 cheaper.

where did you get the flex-a-lite 220 fans from?

Hardimans are the importer, autobarn and repco are the retail outlets.

i use the same fans on our cars and recommend the over evrything else, the davies craig and ice fans dont cut it when the going gets tough.

Drift Performance products also do a killer digital fan controller for $169 bucks andis probaly the best thing ive bought for ages. i posted pics a while back.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/25...ti-t200088.html

• 2 years later...

Old topic I know...but since my cooling system if filthy as hell I decided to replace some of the old gear for:

New radiator silcone hoses

ASI 42mm aluminium radiator

Low temp thermostat (62C)

also keeping the stock clutch fan for now,

is this a good improvement for my car?