SAU Community

Handbrake Light Comes On Under A Hard Corner

ademgim

as stated guys, if i hit a corner hard (r32) for the last couple of days my handbrake light comes on on the dash for a couple of secs and then turns off, is there any chance that light is used for some other warning or indication, or is there nothing to worry about.

(maybe its just my car telling me to pull the handbrake up in a corner!!!lol)

Thanks ahead

check the earthing wire on the handbrake lever - these are sometimes hooked up to a turbo timer for a cut off, if there is another wire for this, or damage on the std wire, it can be earthing out on the chassis and turning the light on.

• 2 years later...
Yep as Mike said, check your brake fluid level

yeah mate i had the same problem, u might think theres enough brake fluid, but when u go round a corner the fluid moves away from the sensor and the light comes on. u might wanna get the seals checked cos the brake master cylinder is linked to the hydraulic clutch and if u let it go too long (like i did) then your clutch will stop workin in the middle of a damn roundabout and youll have to push ur car off the road!!

• 3 weeks later...

The cap on my R32 GTR says to use DOT3, not sure what the last owner put in (most likely DOT3), can I mix DOT4 with DOT3? I should I play it safe and only topup with DOT3?

lol when I corner hard in mine the door light comes on fun at night as the interior light comes one :(

But yea check the fluids etc and earthing, u might be leanign against the concole earthing it out ;)

I spent 90 minutes on the track, beforehand the brake cylinder was at max (always been at max before i went to the track for the first time), by the last 15 minutes session i was getting the handbrake light on corners, popped the bonnet sure enough it was between min and max (closer to min). I'm guessing I boiled the fluid, or is it normal to consume brake fluid while on the track?