SAU Community

Engineering? Yes Or No?

SKY360

Got a quick question for you boys and girls was wondering if you could help out, now I have built my car over a few years with different stages of tuning, now its making over 300 at the wheels, as you can imagine its a pretty full on engine.

Now I remember growing up my cousins and mates all had full on street/drag cars, now I remember them getting pulled over by cops including highway patrol and getting harassed by cops all the time, just as about they are to be defected my cousins produce and engineers certificate and miraculously the cops would leave them alone.

Now my first question is, does the engineers certificate hold as much value as it once used to, and my second question is at this late stage of tuning that im in can I get my car engineered and if so where in Sydney.

Any help you can assist me with guys is a bonus.

Thanks.

Engineering certificates are still valuable... but you need to lodge them with the RTA to be valid or something. (Blueslip + engineering certifcate)

Not sure on who in Sydney... but we use Kevin Humphries up the coast (Wyong). The RTA website has a list of approved engineers.... one should be in your area. Be prepared to pass emissions though if you want to engineer a turbo back exhaust, aftermarket ecu etc.

Anything not on the engineers report can still be defected ! My mate has a sunny with a CA18DET in it. Car is completely engineered and the two times I have seen them go over it ..... it has taken them over an hour as they try and find things not on the certificates and also validate that everything listed is still identical.

Police can defect you if they want, but all you have to do is go away and make sure your car applies to the RTA's standards... not the policemans...

If it has been engineered, chances are, they wont be able to do anything... but they like to spend a lot of f**king time checking everything over...

ive got someone in Brookvale who can do it for you...

yeah I witnessed this Sunny get pulled over and saw the copper running around his car with the certificate in his hands.. the end result was the boys in blue walking away with there tail between there legs. it was gold.

I have put heaps of effort getting my car engineered and its not even done yet. BUT i have passed the emissions test and the noise DB test and all i have to do now is plate the big hole in the engine bay that the 4" pipe goes through to the AFM and take it to the engineer to get him to write up the certificate.

Click on the link in my sig for info on emissions testing

My car has got 317kw a the rear wheels which is around 430hp at the wheels and will be fully legal soon. So it can be done and i cant wait till its!

Mine should be done by mid next week.

What do you have to do with the certificate and the RTA ? do you have to go to the pits ? whats this about a blue slip ? sounds silly to me

Mine should be done by mid next week.

What do you have to do with the certificate and the RTA ? do you have to go to the pits ? whats this about a blue slip ? sounds silly to me

You need to get a blueslip from any authorised AUVIS ... doesn't need to be RTA.. then take that with your engineering certificates to the RTA. They then take a copy for their records and also lodge it against your vehicle details on the computer. Then whenever HWP etc do a rego check it flashes up *engineering certificates suppllied* or something similar. You must retain originals in your car at all times.

I actually asked one of the HWP guys my dad rides motorbikes with on weekends as I didn't believe you had to either (never used to years ago) and I was told that you have to . Chicky at the RTA confirmed also.

i rang the engineer and its all good for next week - il brace this hole this weekend and take it to him to get the certificate.

He said i just need to go to a blue slip station to get the details of the engineers certificate entered in you dont actually need to get the car to pass a blue slip :D

cant wait!

i rang the engineer and its all good for next week - il brace this hole this weekend and take it to him to get the certificate.

He said i just need to go to a blue slip station to get the details of the engineers certificate entered in you dont actually need to get the car to pass a blue slip :)

cant wait!

Just make sure when you get it done that every mod is engineered. My friends 1200 ute had a CA18 in it and was engineered for all the mods except back brakes were listed as stock drums but were upgraded to discs and they got him for that. This was a defect station however so RTA engineers were going over the car. The cops claimed that it was mainly to get rust buckets off the streets but we only saw ricers and imports get brought in. They should just go out and say it they are manufacturer racist towards the japanese. j/k

i had a cop actually tear my mates engineers certificate THEN hand out the defect notice (that was back when engineers certificates were unheard of). my mate took them to court and obviously won. now they will usually just look at it and go.

Now my first question is, does the engineers certificate hold as much value as it once used to, and my second question is at this late stage of tuning that im in can I get my car engineered and if so where in Sydney.

Any help you can assist me with guys is a bonus.

Thanks.

The cert is just an indication that at some stage the car was legal; meaning that yes, they can still defect the car

(something might have changed between issue of cert and 'now').

It's not a get out of jail free card.

Generally if you pass what I like to call the 'd1ckhead' test (that is, the police officer assesses whether they think you are a d1ckhead)

you won't have a problem. If you _don't_ have a cert, you are much more likely not to pass.

The RTA has a list of Engineering Signatories (check their website) and any of them will be able to tell you whether your car's legal or not.

If it's not they will be able to tell you what you need to do to make it legal.

He/she will then be happy to take approx $550 off your hands to write you an Engineer's Report that you must then register with the RTA

and keep a copy in your car.

Regards,

Saliya

hmmmm great info guys, looks like if I want the cops to stop hassling me im going to go through a rough long road to get my car engineered, but im sure at the end of it, it will be worth it!

question....how much is the general price is an engineers cert.?

also, can you get a engineers cert. for ur current mods and then when u get more mods can u add them onto the engineers cert. and pay a little bit more? for example pod, atom bov, FMIC and pay $500 now

THEN..after a while

larger turbo, injectors etc....and pay like $100 to get engineered?

or am i thinking of this the wrong way coz everyones been telling me different stories...just need to clarify

question....how much is the general price is an engineers cert.?

Depends on the engineer. Rough guesstimate is about $550 inc GST.

Do the ring-around :ermm:

also, can you get a engineers cert. for ur current mods and then when u get more mods can u add them onto the engineers cert. and pay a little bit more? for example pod, atom bov, FMIC and pay $500 now

In NSW, I don't think you'll get an atmo BOV engineered at all. I don't know about other states.

THEN..after a while

larger turbo, injectors etc....and pay like $100 to get engineered?

or am i thinking of this the wrong way coz everyones been telling me different stories...just need to clarify

Depends on the engineer. The one I used for my car said he'd be happy to inspect/add my other items

to my Report for free when I got them done (I already had the items, but they were not fitted). So 'yes' you

can do it like this (some mods now, some later, later at a lower cost).

I would guess that most would do the same; or for a minimal fee. This is assuming that you go back to

your original Signatory to get your new mods certified. If you go to a new one, expect to pay full price again.

If you make changes a long time later, expect to pay full price again.

Don't expect them to just do it though - _before_ you get your original Report, tell them what you plan to do,

and ask them about updating/changing the Report after it's been issued and whether there's any cost.

Lay out everything and ask them what they can do for you...

Regards,

Saliya

we charge $770 for all mods to your car for engineers report plus $55 for the blue slip.

extra mods added after thre report issued are approx $100 to do.

$100 per mod or every time u want to add to ur certificate

engineers certificate is WORTH IT.

I've only been randomly pulled over once by an undercover, I assume for a defect check. Ran my plates in the system, must have come up that im engineered or what ever, gave me a breath test and let me go. Then again, it could have just been that he really wanted to breath test me :) . Since i've had the car, and with its level of modifications (and the noise emitted :( ) i seriously expected to be pulled over many many many more times than i have. As soon as the car got here and went for rego i got it engineered.

But it's worth every penny.

Once it's all done, go to the RTA, get it all lodged with them, they give you rego papers with a note down the bottom saying "Engineered as per engineers certificate number blah blah blah" or some crap.

All in all, it saves you the potential hassle of getting a defect cleared up, and it makes sure everything is done propperly and safely.

P.S Got my engineering done through Stretch/Greg @ autosport engineering

Edited by Jago