SAU Community

Making Your Stagea A Fuel Miser

groonsnout

I really don't think a lead foot is all there is to it, i mean, the missus drives the car 90% of the time and i know for a fact (as stated before) that she'll hardly ever hit boost. Sure allowing for wear and tear of the engine it'd never be the factory claimed figures, but 4-5L/100kms off is a pretty big step. There must be something to it... and the figures stated are stock too! Only chance of me hitting < 11L/100kms is pure highway driving.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from the offical Nissan Brochure June 2000 (series II)

25t RS V

10•15 mode 9.2 km/L

60km/h 16.5 km/L

25t RS FOUR V

10•15 mode 8.8 km/L

60km/h 15.1 km/L

25t RS FOUR S

10•15 mode 9.4 km/L

60km/h 15.4 km/L

For 10•15 Mode explained, follow this link: http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/jp_10-15mode.html

Taken from the offical Nissan Brochure June 2000 (series II)

25t RS FOUR V

10•15 mode 8.8 km/L

60km/h 15.1 km/L

Awesome, thanks for that. Looks like 15L/100km which equates to 6.7km/L is definitely not right then. In complete stock form I'd love to know why.

Remember, this would be when the car is brand new and in extremely controlled conditions. and they probably did it 11ty times and used the best result.

I can tell you I have a stock (except Nismo panel filter) SII RS FOUR V Prime Edition with sunroofs (the heaviest of them all) and I get worse economy than you. BUT I use it in stop start CBD traffic nearly all the time. It's just one of the things we have to accept, they give shite fuel economy.

ok guys and gals.. have not seen this thread for a while as I dont have interwebzz at home

so .. it would seem that we are getting about average ( from factory specs ) around the city then!

so .. as dale points out .. maybe we are all chasing an impossible dream !

oh the other thing I dont understand is what does "10•15 mode 8.8 km/L" mean ?

For 10•15 Mode explained, follow this link: http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/jp_10-15mode.html

nooo not good news, thinking of buying a second block of land and ash said the car has to go if not fuel economical.. its a sad day for stageas knowing they will never be economical. heres to hoping i get a freak stag thts economical.

nooo not good news, thinking of buying a second block of land and ash said the car has to go if not fuel economical.. its a sad day for stageas knowing they will never be economical. heres to hoping i get a freak stag thts economical.

couple of things to point out here guys.1 did u buy a stagea thinking it would be like a pirus or a dihatsu charade ?? its a 1600 od kilo wagon. 2 performance wagon means its not going to achieve unbelievable economy. 3 after my nissan patrol at around 19 litres per hundred klm i recon the stag is doin ok try a safc or the likes i do have one but its not wired in or tuned as yet and at the rate mine is going im not in a hurry to do it .mine in stock form gets 11 litres per hunderd with a heavy foot on a run thru the hills and i cant complain about that.

Jerome- thanks for that.. gives me a good understanding of how they test it etc..

Mike- your car sounds like its getting better than average fuel economy ..

I mean .. sure .. we probably got sucked into the whole " performance wagon " thing.. I just didnt think it would be THAT bad.

and yeah.. aftermarket ecu or SITC+SAFC sound like the best results

couple of things to point out here guys.1 did u buy a stagea thinking it would be like a pirus or a dihatsu charade ?? its a 1600 od kilo wagon. 2 performance wagon means its not going to achieve unbelievable economy. 3 after my nissan patrol at around 19 litres per hundred klm i recon the stag is doin ok try a safc or the likes i do have one but its not wired in or tuned as yet and at the rate mine is going im not in a hurry to do it .mine in stock form gets 11 litres per hunderd with a heavy foot on a run thru the hills and i cant complain about that.

Well... not looking at 6-7L/100kms or anything. But would be much happier with 12-13L/100kms taking into account the age of the car etc. Not 15-16L/100kms. 2-3L extra every 100kms, do the maths, it adds up $$wise.

I'll take that SAFC off your hands then :)

Thing is, fair enough if you have a lead foot it hits you, but when you baby it around 90% of the time and still get 15-16L/100kms that's something else.

I am happy with 16/17L per 100. It is cheap entertainment.

Say you do 20,000ks per year. Up here average cost $1.30/L. If you get 12L/100 its about $3120 per year. At 16L/100 its $1040 extra.

Thats about $20 a week extra. Thats a packet of CANCER sticks. Or a couple of six packs a week.

How much would you have to spend on mods to get your consumption down to 12/L?

I've said before, dont complain, get a Commondoor and gas it.

Enjoy what we have got because we might all have to drive a Hybrid very soon.

WELL SAID But gas could be a good choice some guy`s in perth running GAS injection with NO POWER LOSS in rx 7 turbo`s would be interesting call.seen them on dyno at rotomotion.i do about 25,000 a year so will make a call.gas con`s gov give $3000 for converison in wa ????.i not to worried a bout kpg just ENJOY the drive.will let you know.chuckie.

Just on a side issue, but related, I am currently experiencing coil pack problems (according to the readout when they plug into the ecu) and I am getting about 300km off 53-55 litres a tank, with about 60% city driving. The car plays up and the engine warning light comes on occasionly. It is also running a little rough under accelleration and lacking a little bit of balls.

Please dont laugh at my reference to Hobart being an actual city.

I have achieved over 450km to a tank before (its a totally stock series 2) and I hope that the coil pack issue is the most likely cause of the fuel issues.

I want to pose a question, are those people getting decent fuel figures running after-market coil-packs?? Are those getting crap figures running standard Nissan issue coil packs??

If the standard coil packs playing up cause this much of a problem with fuel, it might be something worth investigating??

Plus It might help me decide what to replace the coil packs with....

as 66yostagea pointed out .. if thats the best we can get then its not too bad considering the car is pretty heavy .. but comfy to drive.

the coilpack question is a valid one though! would be interesting to see.

the other waay left feild idea I had was - ( I did say waay out! )

I wonder if the people who get better economy drive around with their windows closed MOST of the time.

I for one like fresh air and lots of it .. so windows down most of the time ! pretty far fetched but could be an idea. Aah.. I am just going to hack away at it slowly and keep you guys informed if I make any ground breaking improvements.. to be honest I think I wont!

but keep the ideas flowing !

Just on a side issue, but related, I am currently experiencing coil pack problems (according to the readout when they plug into the ecu) and I am getting about 300km off 53-55 litres a tank, with about 60% city driving. The car plays up and the engine warning light comes on occasionly. It is also running a little rough under accelleration and lacking a little bit of balls.

Please dont laugh at my reference to Hobart being an actual city.

I have achieved over 450km to a tank before (its a totally stock series 2) and I hope that the coil pack issue is the most likely cause of the fuel issues.

I want to pose a question, are those people getting decent fuel figures running after-market coil-packs?? Are those getting crap figures running standard Nissan issue coil packs??

If the standard coil packs playing up cause this much of a problem with fuel, it might be something worth investigating??

Plus It might help me decide what to replace the coil packs with....

I am happy with 16/17L per 100. It is cheap entertainment.

Say you do 20,000ks per year. Up here average cost $1.30/L. If you get 12L/100 its about $3120 per year. At 16L/100 its $1040 extra.

Thats about $20 a week extra. Thats a packet of CANCER sticks. Or a couple of six packs a week.

How much would you have to spend on mods to get your consumption down to 12/L?

I've said before, dont complain, get a Commondoor and gas it.

Enjoy what we have got because we might all have to drive a Hybrid very soon.

Fair comment, but if your car is suppose to run 11-12L/100kms and you're burning away $1000ish every year, wouldn't you be the slightest curious why it's doing that? Think of the mods you could do if you had the $$ saved!

valid point there.. I guess its up to the individual to either take action or accept it.

Fair comment, but if your car is suppose to run 11-12L/100kms and you're burning away $1000ish every year, wouldn't you be the slightest curious why it's doing that? Think of the mods you could do if you had the $$ saved!

A six speed box might help...

I got a huge shock (ok, I drive a GTT, but that isn't the point). Driving from my farm (400km trip) to Perth, I found I was doing 3,000 rpm in 5th at 120kph, considering I drove my mate's ED Falcoon the trip before at was doing a cosy 1,700rpm at the same speed.... So there I think may lie an important factor for an inherent lack of fuel economy, because of the high 'cruise' revs. These things desperately need a sixth cog... :P

yeah.. but dont forget the majority of stageas are autos..so thats not really an option

having said that .. the autos do drop into a pretty tall gear for cruising around

A six speed box might help...

I got a huge shock (ok, I drive a GTT, but that isn't the point). Driving from my farm (400km trip) to Perth, I found I was doing 3,000 rpm in 5th at 120kph, considering I drove my mate's ED Falcoon the trip before at was doing a cosy 1,700rpm at the same speed.... So there I think may lie an important factor for an inherent lack of fuel economy, because of the high 'cruise' revs. These things desperately need a sixth cog... :P