SAU Community

Brake Upgrade Advice Needed

Hi Guys,

I was given a complete brake setup from a R32 GTR yesterday (as he had upgraded) and he said it would be a good upgrade for my S1 R33. By the looks of it I can tell that the disks are obviously drilled compared to mine which are not but what are the other advantages? Should I also swap over the calipers? It all looks to be in good condition so pretty keen to see how it goes.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by harvesteros

Mate to my knowledge, all turboed R33's have R32 GTR brakes on the front, same calipers and rotors. And i think rears too. If the rotors are drilled then maybe they're the optioned brake packaged Brembos, in that case it would be an upgrade. If they are i'm not too sure of fitment but i think they're a bolt on swap.

If you intend to use the car on the track, i personally would not use drilled rotors, as they are prone to cracking when they get really hot.

Early model 32gtr calipers are the same as 33gtst. The later model 32gtr had Brembos, which are much better. So if the calipers have BREMBO, across the face, then fit them.

Slotted rotors are the best option

Cheers guys. I just had a look at my car and yes it appears that the calipers are the same, they are "SUMITOMO". I am not intending on using the car on the track, just road work so perhaps swapping to the drilled rotors would be a good option, what do you think? I have included a pic of the rotors (front and back), is it stock R32 gtr stuff?? Worth swapping it for my disks?

gallery_35735_1650_18581.jpg

Cheers again for all the advice

mate your 33 brakes are probably better

same size calipers

same diameter discs

gtr discs are 4mm thicker new (but i bet these arent new)

gtr discs are cross drilled and can crack

gtr calipers will be older and need a rebuild sooner

if you want an upgrade do it in this order:

new motul rbf600 brake fluid flushed through

new dba/rda discs

remove your brake backing plates

new brakes lines (braided or rubber as long as they are new)

master cylinder stopper

rebuild your calipers with new seals

or most importantly get better tyres if your brakes are fading

• 9 months later...