SAU Community

R33 Air Con Fan

I have just noticed that the electric fan on the air con condenser (on the front of the car) never runs. I am guessing it should run whenever the air-con compressor is clutched in. I have checked the relays and fuses under the bonnet, and all the fuses in the dash and boot. Power is available at the main relay but its not switching.

Has anyone had this before? And can someone confirm that the fan should run whenever the air-con compressor is clutched in?

Thanks

D

Dude, I've never seen this fan run on my 'line either. I guess it might be temperature triggered. You may need to run the aircon for a while before it comes on. This reminds me, I need to regas my aircon before the next summer comes....

On the 32, its triggered by the thermo switch in the bottom of the radiator. Guess its the same in the 33.

The standard engine fan has sufficient draw to keep the radiator cool below the switch point for the thermo fan (particulary at very low loads, like at idle), and to keep the A/C radiator cool enough. However, if you ever upgrade the gas in your A/C, get the fan re-wired to come on when the A/C is switched on. Also, if you install a thermo engine fan, get the A/C fan re-wired.

Be careful getting it to thermatically switch as well. My autoelec originally did that, and when the fan switched on from the thermo switch, it also switched the A/C on - but the ECU didn't know, so the engine would stall under the load.

Just rewire so that it comes on when the A/C clutch engages, and leave it at that. As I said, the standard engine fan can draw more than enough air to keep everything cool. I was driving in Adelaide once - 40 deg, black car, A/C running full blast, and the temp gauge never budged.