SAU Community

Gti-rs R They Good

O-Y-K-B

Hey buddy,

I have an atessa bluebird which basically has a GTIR running gear, I love it, they have a very good platform for mods, however the gearboxes are not much chop over 200awkw...

If you have any questions just ask...

isnt the handling on these things a little dubious?

I have heard they are death machines as they have a habit of spearing off the road on high speed corners.

that said I would love to get one :P

total weapon

I dunno about that but, a little spirited driving around town and they are GREAT!!!! Mine has whiteline suspension and is lowered and handles like a dream.

I dont know about high speed cornering etc as i have never tracked it..

I loved my GTI-R they are temperamental but no more than a GTR. They are OLD so like any old performance car anything that has not been replaced or rebuilt could die if pushed but having said that the engine is awesome, way over engineered (like a GTR). The engine is almost completely different to any other sr20det, solid lifters, quad throttles, different cams. I’m pretty sure even the rods and crank are beefier. The gearbox is strong but requires a bit of mechanical sympathy, there is a theory that most breakages are because the hardening wears of the teeth of the gears? Uprated gearsets are a $5k exercise. Handling out of the box is crap but can easily be corrected, around town they are unreal. They are stable at high speeds but noisy as and the doors try to peel them selves off at really high speeds. The looks are a bit love it or hate it but a good set of 16’s or 17’s are a must and chrome is a no no (but each to their own). Brakes are no good for track work but good rotors and pads are fine for the street. Filter, exhaust, heat range 7 platinum plugs and 1.1bar of boost saw 194kw atw at AVO which was enough for plenty of fun.

You must get a good one or you are looking at a world of pain. They aren’t cheap but very worth while, I still wish I had never sold mine.

WTF are you trying to say? Do they not teach English at school now?

grammar_time.thumb.jpg

Just want to know Gti-r any good and are they worth the money, i would prefer to hear from those who are currently own or previously own.

I think that's what he's saying.

Ok guys i was a previous owner of a 90 model gtir....I regret selling the car...even though i had done 2 clutches and 2 gearboxes.Eventually i purchased a 500hp synchro gearset out off par engineering in sydney and all the gearbox problems dissapeared..The car made 180 kwat4w and ran 12.9@165kwat4w before extra mods.Small car feels like your flying when you put your foot down.......ahhhhhhhh i miss my gtir...Today im in a 95 model gtr and married so i respect the drive where i loved being single and throwing that gtir around like a toy..

PRICK to work on!!!! I guarantee if anything that goes wrong is a bitch to fix....wait theres no word to describe how bad they are really....

Try to even get a visual on the starter motor let alone get it out! The engineering behind the car is ridiculous, but also a fantastic work of art i think. And pretty good to drive, although i think it has a really weird kinda upright seating position, but ok once u get used to it.

Easily understeers too, needs alot of money spent on suspension to get it nice.

Try to buy a good condition one and will save you headaches. Gearbox noise will shit you up the wall if it has any, which is most likely.

GL! Baby GTRs FTW!!!

ease up adz i was half pissed wen i started the topic plus i dropped out of school, thanks heaps for the info guys, like i said not gettin another car for at least 6 months, but good to no wat cars r like

Just want to know Gti-r any good and are they worth the money, i would prefer to hear from those who are currently own or previously own.

I think that's what he's saying.

I just want to know if Gti-r's are any good and if they are worth the money, I would prefer to hear from those who currently own or have previously owned one.

I think this is what both of you are trying to say :sick:

Edited by akeenan

I had a 90 GTiR prior to the r32 GTR, and the GTiR's r really nice/fast cars. Yep, understeer like a barstard with stock suspension. Gearbox's dont like abuse (mine held together just fine from 80K to 110k - written off - with near stock power (exhaust/pod). Damn expensive to fix when compared to purchase price. People have achieved 200Kw @ wheels with stock turbo (FC and other mods) but you would probably need a new turbo or a really fresh car to achieve this. I had an exhaust knocked up with no dramas. 3" stainless. I do miss that car!

Cheers, Sandy

ease up adz i was half pissed wen i started the topic plus i dropped out of school, thanks heaps for the info guys, like i said not gettin another car for at least 6 months, but good to no wat cars r like

Someone needs to keep you kids in line now Uncle Golgo is busy. Hey I failed English once but I still know you spell "when" with an "H". I was just taking the p|ss mate :sick: