SAU Community

Rb20det Wont Rev Past 2000rpm?!

Hey guys,

The RB20DET in my HR31 won't rev past 2000rpm. If I drive it has to be kept below 2000rpm otherwise it wont accel. When it gets to 2000rpm it coughs and splutters and it almost seems like its a rev limiter. It bounces like a rev limiter. I have swapped the AFM and Ignitor from my A31 Cefiro to no success. I have sprayed all plugs I could reach with contact spray. Anyone have any ideas what this problem could be?

Thanks, Chris.

Swapped a good know AFM from my ceffy onto the HR31. Made no difference. Swapped known good ignitor also from said cefiro and also made no difference. Intake pipe is on tight. CAS plug is on tight. Have had battery disconnected also for 10mins, still no change. Tried putting ecu into dianistic mode now engine wont start at all? ECU?

I bought a 32 a couple of weeks ago, and it had the same problem. Fine below 2 grand, but coughed and spluttered its arse off at anything over that, and got worse the more you put your foot into it. (Although mine didnt bounce like it was on rev limiter, and I could slowly, slowly accelerate). I changed both the AFM and Crank Angle Sensor with no better results.

Turned out to be the fuel pump. I got that changed over and everything was fine.

Might be worth a quick check

• 2 months later...

Just in case anyone else checks this thread for an answer...

My mate limped his R32 RB20det over to my house tonight with a 2000rpm rev limiter.

We found after checking AFM, Throttle position sensor, and cooler piping etc that it was an Air Fuel gauge had been wired in real dodgy!

Disconected the dodgy wire from where someone had spliced it just near the ECU and all is well again!

Cheers