SAU Community

High flowing the stock turbo

Guest | hype^ |

Guest | hype^ |

any1 know how much youd be looking at to high flow the stock turbo ??

also what is the stock turbo?:confused:

Guest MFX_R33

I got my turbo high flowed by Precision turbos at a cost of $1300. My turbo now has metal wheels and plain bearings.

The standard turbo is basically a T3.

Jeff.

the standard unit is made by hitachi

garett quoted me minimum of $1000

benifits are you can run more than 14psi reliably

downside may take longer to spool up and it will no longer be ball bearing

and no they can`t convert it to BB iv been told

Guest MFX_R33
How much extra power would u get from High flowing it... Just curious.. Will it reduce the reliabilty of the turbo.

I have got 205kw @wheels with this turbo at 17psi (this is pushing the efficiency limit of this turbo). The standard turbo has ceramic wheels, which have a tendency to de-laminate at around 14psi causing the turbine wheel to end up in your exhaust.

As far as it spooling up slower, I havn't noticed any difference. It spools very easily with almost no lag (as with the standard).

Jeff.

Originally posted by MYGTST

the standard unit is made by hitachi

garett quoted me minimum of $1000

benifits are you can run more than 14psi reliably

downside may take longer to spool up and it will no longer be ball bearing

and no they can`t convert it to BB iv been told

I'm not sure but do series 1 have BB?

Originally posted by MFX_R33

I have got 205kw @wheels with this turbo at 17psi (this is pushing the efficiency limit of this turbo). The standard turbo has ceramic wheels, which have a tendency to de-laminate at around 14psi causing the turbine wheel to end up in your exhaust.

As far as it spooling up slower, I havn't noticed any difference. It spools very easily with almost no lag (as with the standard).

Jeff.

Did you just get the compressor side hiflowed? It musnt be if u r spooling at 2500

I got both sides hiflowed ($1000) and im hoping for 200kw@12psi.

Starts spooling at 3000 full boost 3500

we'll see next week when i get her tuned on the dyno with the SAFC

Guest MFX_R33

Macka,

No both the compressor and the turbine have been done, but it depends on the Dyno you are using as to what readout you get.

My car makes boost at round 2800.

Jeff.

Guest MFX_R33

My Hilux looks the goods, and has a nice tan leather interior, but it is no SR5 :D. Mine is a Grinner, ex-Repco delivery ute. Full time LPG, 1.8l, 4 spd. It's a slug but it looks ok for a work ute (pics on my site www.mfx.com.au under Team). Anyway I have a Skyline to go quick :D.

Jeff.

Jeff just looked at the pics of you lux and line the line looks mad!!

I really like the look. so different!

and your lux is great for a budget build as well.

how do you find the EMS is it as responsive as the the factory ecu how is it at low speed and rev's .

cheers

meggala

Guest MFX_R33

Thanks all :cool:

Meg. The EMS is good if it is tuned properly. I can't say that it is as good as factory. For top end it is great, you just need someone to spend the time to tune it properly for cold start idle etc. At the moment I still need to get the cold start tweaked, but aside from that it is cool. Other benefits of the EMS over PFC is the fact that you don't need the car to keep all factory or close to factory sensors, like AFM's (I still have mine on there but it isn't doing anything), plenum idle sensors, etc. I looked at a PFC but with the custom plenum and XF throttle body it was too much stuffing around. Also the amount of other options with the EMS is mind blowing.

Macka. I got the Trust bonnet from Bodyform motorsports in Sydney but it was for a GTR and I had to do ALOT of modifying to make it fit. The GTR bonnet, believe it or not, is 20mm longer than the GTSt's. The mounting brackets had to be moved as well as heavily modifying the bracing underneath so the thing would close! It still is no quite right yet as it sits flush top and bottom with the gaurds but it sits high in the middle.

Jeff.

MFX - just saw your hilux - nice interior.

Where did u get it retrimmed?? and how much would it actually have cost if you had to pay. My hilux has recaro interior and im thinking of retrimming them in leather and suede. Got any numbers I can call to find out costs?

thanks

Dave.

p.s - what did you use on the dash? has it been painted, or covered in leather.. or something else?

thanks. mfx's dash looks so nice. I gotta find out how he got it looking so clean...

currently my 4wd has:

single battery

k&n cold air intake where 2nd battery used to be

turbo smart boost controller (12psi)

autometer boost gauge

tinted (got that done yesterday)

and over the next month i am installing a stock r33 intercooler as a topmount where the old airbox used to be..

i am hoping for around 60+ kw at the wheels :cool:! but hey, they are 45kw standard so a 20kw increase would be good.