SAU Community

Nissan Australia Yet To Confirm If The Gt-r Is Coming

have a little faith!!! Fuga, Stagea, Cima and President are not exactly competive comparisons to a GTR sports car. Our luxery market is saturated and basicly controlled by the 2 locals here.

It still doesn't explain why the J31 Maxima is brought in instead of the V35 Skyline though. The relative failure of the LWB locals (Fairlane is dead, Statesman is only surviving due to exports) which would rule out the Cima and President, but it doesn't explain the Skyline.

Australians have an affinity to cars that push, not pull, so you'd think the RWD Skyline would do a far better job of selling than the FWD Maxima. The engine's the same, the exterior is almost the same, the interior is about as luxurious, and they could improve their economies of scale on spare parts and mechanics training since it shares the same underpinnings as the 350Z. With all those plusses, you'd think it was a "no-brainer" that they'd pick up the driver's car over the bum dragger.

Times 2. I recently purchased a max for the old girl and, while it is a damn nice comfy car if it were for me instead of her i doubt i would have bought it due to the pull instead of push. What other options are there tho in this range. The build quality of the locally produced cars is plain crap compared to the maxima and the only other consideration is the euros who unfortunately, price themselves out of the game. It would have been a much easier decision if Nissan would wake up and bring out the rear wheel drive versions as you suggested.

The build quality of the locally produced cars is plain crap compared to the maxima and the only other consideration is the euros who unfortunately, price themselves out of the game. It would have been a much easier decision if Nissan would wake up and bring out the rear wheel drive versions as you suggested.

Thats it right there. I used to think there was a conspiracy at play with the Aussie government and Holden, basically pricing out any competitors to the sub-$40K RWD sedan segment from Japan. But now in hindsight I know thats pretty lame, especially since Toyota (and more or less Mitsubishi but they don't have any RWDs) make cars in Australia and that would mean limiting jobs etc. So whats the problem then? Price. Theres no way Toyota can tool up their AU plant to build the RWD Mark X in a similar spec to compete with Holden/Ford at their price level. The investment would be huge, so it just will not happen. The only way is to import, then it's up to Toyotas overseas plants to spec the car to a price competitive standard, which in itself would either be too expesive for the Holden/Ford market segment with it's native Japanese spec level (almost Lexus spec, which would come in at $45K+), or spec'd so low to keep it in Commodore Omega/Falcon XT price territory that it'd have vynil seats, no aircon, and only available in Taxi-pack white... which of course Toyota would never let happen. Ditto for Nissan Skyline/Fuga...

Times 2. I recently purchased a max for the old girl and, while it is a damn nice comfy car if it were for me instead of her i doubt i would have bought it due to the pull instead of push.

How does it handle? All the reviews I've read compare it unfavourably to a boat, regardless of the series.

I've ridden in the previous generation Camry Altise Sport (same as the Sportivo aside from the seats and bodykit, so second from top of the line) and its got relatively good body control while having an excellent ride. I've driven an entry model 4 banger Camry and I was scared that anyone could buy a new car that handled that badly in this century, but the Sportivo (which is in Maxima price range) would be a car I'd buy....if I were ever willing to be seen dead owning a Camry.

How does it handle? All the reviews I've read compare it unfavourably to a boat, regardless of the series.

I've ridden in the previous generation Camry Altise Sport (same as the Sportivo aside from the seats and bodykit, so second from top of the line) and its got relatively good body control while having an excellent ride. I've driven an entry model 4 banger Camry and I was scared that anyone could buy a new car that handled that badly in this century, but the Sportivo (which is in Maxima price range) would be a car I'd buy....if I were ever willing to be seen dead owning a Camry.

Got body roll.. :D Apart from the lean it handles superbly. It actually goes where you point it and its only under extreme load down low that it torque understeeers. At speed it handles quite neutrally.

Its forte however is in its superb quietness and ride comfort. The 3.5 is an effortless performer at any speed and the economy, whilst a little thirsty around town is very very good at cruising speed.