SAU Community

Oil? (i know i know, do a search)

Jimbo2000

Guest RedLineGTR

from what i have heard and personally use...also whats in your budget...i use shell helix 5-40 full syth like $45-50 for 5 litres. Also Motul in nice and you can go for redline, royal purple, if ya got the cash, but for a skyline oil changes every 5000k its abit expensive. I know a couple of people who use mobil 1, some people say it runs black really quickly after like 500km. You could also try Castrol they only make oils as compaired to some other companys.

Guest RedLineGTR
Originally posted by hippy

another question .. what is the cheapest high quality oil??  hmmm ... ??? ;)

Oils that a good for skylines do not go any cheaper than $50 for turbos...and i would not say thats cheap for a normal car non turbo lets say like a ford or something oils cost about $30 bucks or abit more depends on quality. About $50 is a good start.

Guest RedLineGTR

the thing is getting a too thin oil may aid in preformance but will not protect the engine as much...

it's either preformance = enigne wear

or it Less Preformance = less wear

Some shit like that...lolz

Just because Mobil 1 goes black doesnt mean its not working. Viscosity is extremely important and probably more important than the brand of oil you choose. Engines are designed around having a particular thickness of oil running in their oil galleries, lifters etc. A thicker oil may not guarantee more protection because it cant move as quickly or get into the small areas in the same manner a thinner oil would.

Personally I use Mobil 1 Trisynthetic 10W/30 and i find it to be fantastic, even at $18 a litre. However the Motul do make a very good product.

Red17

Guest RedLineGTR

yep i'm aware that that it dosent mean that mobil 1 isnt working. Also about the Viscosity of the oil is important...Personal experience i tryed Castrol formulaR like $80 5 litres 10-60w seemed abit high but wanted to see if it made a diff. Changed the oil the oil pressure on the stock guage was really high, ( i know it it inaccurate some times but i was verry different compaired to usual) changed to my shell oil was abit better after that but wasent like how i wanted it. Flushed the engine out with a nulon product for oil. This is not recommended for older car. Wokred a treat and refilled with shell. Now the car is perfect normal pressure. Shell Helix ULtra 5-40. Filters were changed during each oil change.

The first number is the most important. You want it to be no higher than 10, so that the oil circulates quickly on startup. Fortunately almost all good synthetic oils are from 0W to 10W so you shouldn't have a problem there.

I am currently using Castrol Formula R 10W-60, and I think the second viscosity number is too high. My oil pressure is good (a little over halfway when warm), but I think the viscosity is overkill and is only hurting my power and economy. Therefore on my next change I am going to use 5W-30 and see how that goes.

The Castrol 10W-60 is still good stuff, and you might need to use it if your engine is a bit worn and burning/leaking a bit of oil. I'm not using any at all which is why I'm going to switch to the 5W-30, but as my engine wears out over time I will switch back to it. Hopefully not for another 100 000km or more :P

Oh, and definitely don't use mineral oil. Use a full synthetic (preferable) or a semi synth at the very least. Mineral oils break down too quickly. Change the oil every 5000km or sooner and you should be ok with a semi synth. My preference is still with a full synth though (still with 5000km oil dumps).

I've used both Mobil 1 0/40 and Motul 300V 15/50

Personally i find the Motul better - it has stayed clean the whole time (i am due for an oil change now), has not used a drop and still feels fantastic. Mobil 1 is excellent too, but i found it discoloured a little quicker (discoloration = wear?) and seemed to 'go off' or feel slacker quicker. But like someone said above, a change every 5000k and either one of these oils look abit expensive - for the Motul i got 4L for 70 bucks!

Oil staying clean means that it is not doing its job properly. You want your oil to go dark fairly quickly because that means it is absorbing all the crap that your engine produces. If it's not in your oil it's grinding away at the internals of your engine!

I look at the very thin edges of the oil on the dipstick to tell if other cars' oils have become saturated with contaminants or not. On my cars it's always got a slight golden hue on the edge. Some cars overdue for a change are black right to the edge. While you still have a bit of gold in it that means it's still got enough cleaning properties in it.