SAU Community

clutch done

Guest lixid

Guest lixid

how to find out if the clutch is in bad shape?

now i can smell something burnt. whenever i go hard.

:confused: is it from my tyres, brake or my Clutch.

if it's my clutch, and i keep running it, can other parts be damaged??

and name a few brand of clutch that you guy got.

I don't know much about clutches, but i'll reply anyway. You say you smell burning whenever you go hard? Well it could be your brakes, if you're braking heavily or alot when you're going hard. If your clutch is not working good, as far as i know it will slip alot, and that's how you can tell if you need a new one. Exidy clutches are supposed to be a good brand also.

That's all i know :D

Ryan

The clutch will slip in higher gears (lower too - but not as obviously i think) .. like you'll put your foot down and the car will rev and you wont gain speed... you'll notice it.

If you continue to let it slip for a long time, you can damage the flywheel, but thats about it (i think) eventually the car will be undrivable..

mine went not long ago and i have a 5 puck brass button clutch in there now - absolutly fantastic!

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by PranK

The clutch will slip in higher gears  (lower too - but not as obviously i think) .. like you'll put your foot down and the car will rev and you wont gain speed... you'll notice it.

If you continue to let it slip for a long time, you can damage the flywheel, but thats about it (i think) eventually the car will be undrivable..

mine went not long ago and i have a 5 puck brass button clutch in there now - absolutly fantastic!

Christian

I think theres a chance that you flywheel can shatter too. I drove

my to the point where it just wouldn't move anymore, not that

I'd recommended such an action. :) Smelling your clutch through

the air vents is a definate sign.

When you go hard, it will be a case of the clutch slipping and getting that smell, it stinks! and has a very distinctive smell to it.

Im getting a new one tommorrow, I cant wait :) I'm getting the Exeidy Dakien Full Faced Organic CLutch.. should be awesome.

full face organic just means that it is like the stock clutch plate, i.e full face and made from organic material. You should specify a higher pressure plate like 2400lbs or such and maybe even steel backing on the clutch plate. As for driving the car with a slipping clutch, I did it and was shocked when we pulled it out. The actual clutch/friction plate was fine and had heaps of meat left but the pressure plate and flywheel where toast. It is not a good idea to ride a button clutch. :(:P

Alot of people have said it's a good clutch. Mine's basically a

custom one. Everytihng is Exeidy Dakien Full Faced Organic

except for the compound used. Pressure plates a bit heavier

too. It's supposed to be slightly stronger. I think it's a bit too

strong now cause I think the next thing to go on my car is my diff,

bit harsh on the takeoff. So I think it would be perfect for the 33.

Just remmeber to bed it in properly or you will regret it later.

Here is my clutch story -

Had a std clutch in R33 which I killed in about 3000 kays.

Then put in a single plate nismo one which lasted about the same.

Then I had to replace the gearbox & fitted a twin plate OS Giken.

I had trouble at the drags with this one slipping at the top end, so

we fitted a triple plate OS Giken clutch.

Then I blew up the gearbox (a Trust 6 speed!) doing burnouts in 2nd gear.The clutch still looked okay at this stage but one of the plates was starting to go blue more than the others.

When I blew up the engine at the 4.6.&Rotary Nationals in Adelaide in Feb, we replaced the engine with a OS Giken 3 litre.

The crank in this engine has 8 bolt holes for the flywheel(not 6)

so I had to change the clutch again!! Now I have a Quad plate,

Chrome moly, 8 bolt OS Giken clutch. I'm sure this one will last.

Moral of the story - Get the right clutch for your application first up

PS. At Drag Combat in May I completely smashed the std rear driveshafts in 2 places and have since replaced them with HKS

shafts. When the gearbox came out for a checkover the clutches

in the transfer case were fried 'cause I backed off the startline using Fwd only.

I now have a fresh transfer case, a fresh gearbox, HKS shafts front & rear, & a hydraulic torque split controller so all 4 tyres

better look out now!

Originally posted by Zahos

Hey ex-static

If u dont mind me asking, where are you getting the clutch done, and approx how much $$ is it going to set you back?

Zahos

I got it done at Ice Performance in Cheltenham, its an excellent clutch, very light, and very grippy! I highly recomend it.

-ex