SAU Community

Import Issues

MISTER E

I'm at the moment looking at S2 though an importer and I have been told that Japanese mechanics are very expensive is this true???

here are some pics. i love the wheels, bodykit (even though the boss/GF calls it tupperware) and exhaust.

what questions should i put too the importer. He reckons $13800 landed and complied and its done 104,000K's

post-39084-1183977424_thumb.jpgpost-39084-1183977410_thumb.jpgpost-39084-1183977395_thumb.jpgpost-39084-1183977379_thumb.jpgpost-39084-1183981271_thumb.jpgpost-39084-1183981288_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by MISTER E

Not really a whole lot you can do but cross your fingers.

It's interesting to see that the engine has the NEO cover removed.

It also has a non standard pod filter and earthing kit.

Like I said, cross your fingers and have a few grand set aside for work and insurance once it arrives.

Hmmm looks a bit sus without the Neo cover thats for sure, and im always a little bit iify on a car coming from japan with engine mods done to it.

But i must say from the exterior it looks friggen Horn, Work meisters have always been one of my favourite wheels

Has lowered suspension, you can see the gold struit tops in the engine bay, must likely some brand of coilovers (edit - just saw the coilover photo after I posted)

Also has a alarm, can see the siren just in front of the brake booster

All mods will need to be removed for compliance and stardard parts fitted. just check with compliance shop for cost of parts removal and re install and that have the stock parts you can borrow.

certainly looks the goods, but as i have never had the cover off my neo i was wondering if they did in fact look the same as that underneath it cos i don reckon mine does from memory, and also isn't it labelled as being neo on the compliance plate? anyone care to enlighten me as i will not get a look at my car for bout another 5 days due to being on shiftwork roster and she who must be obeyed is driving it at the mo.

cheers oxford

Maybe it is actually a series 1?

I'll be able to check the chassis code for build date when I get home.

Although I don't think my S1 has that silver box above the cam cover on the intake pipe.

It is indeed a series 2 engine. I had the same questions about my S2 when I bought it, although it did have the NEO cover.

Main differences are the larger throttle body and different looking cam gear on the front. There are likely other visible differences here but those are the main two I'm aware of. The compliancer of my car had listed the engine as 173kw so it made me concerned that I'd been ripped off, but its easy to tell the difference once you know what to look for.

In any case, the only other possibility is that someone in japan may have swapped the s2 engine for a s1 engine, as the rest of the car is obviously a s2 :D

definately a NEO,

has the longer throttle body (for traction control) slightly different timing belt cover, plastic cover on the CAS, and different rocker cover breathers are the things i can spot..

That looks the goods exterior wise. Can't tell you anything about the engine, at least you can be pretty sure the K's are legit. Maybe see if the timing belt has been done? (100k service) Otherwise i believe it's quite expensive.

I imported my car and found out very quickly that a quoted price and what u end up paying r 2 different things. Having said that the prices in Japan were a standard cost and most of the bloody costs came from australian customs and tax etc. y does it need to go to a japanese mechanic exactly? My only costs in Japan were the cost of the car, de-registering the car and de-gassing the aircon, transport from the car yard outside of Osaka to the Port etc then it was on the boat pretty much.

Liam

I imported my car and found out very quickly that a quoted price and what u end up paying r 2 different things. Having said that the prices in Japan were a standard cost and most of the bloody costs came from australian customs and tax etc. y does it need to go to a japanese mechanic exactly? My only costs in Japan were the cost of the car, de-registering the car and de-gassing the aircon, transport from the car yard outside of Osaka to the Port etc then it was on the boat pretty much.

Liam

depends on who you import through, i'm in the process of bringing in my second import, and both have cost me pretty much as quoted (so far...)

car does look good, white rims on a white car is hot, but white work rims on a white car is VERY hot!

Ibought thru a dealer and quoted price was spot on and got two Soarer wheels and tyres for free.

Don't let mechanics rip you off for doing a timing belt. I did an S13 using Sydney Kid's DIY for adjustable cam. Rb25 is the same only bigger. When it came to do my belts I got a local mobile mechanic to do it. Took 21/2 hrs. $150, I supplied the belts. Same guy did COMPLETE oil change, Labour only, $50. Front pads, labour only, $20. I was flabbergasted, I gave him $30 and a six pack.

Mt. Tamborine is the Stagea capital of Oz.

I do my own importing, you wont need to pay for degassing as it is a newer car (different gas). If its not at auction and doesnt have a condition report it can be dodge, you need someone to look at it if its from a yard or something. Have you been given any details at all? Ideally the modifications should be listed along with details of interior/exterior condition, this is often not the case with cars not sold at auction and its hard to get someone to look at it, unlike an auction where its convenient to have someone look after you have seen the initial sheet write up.

You can never tell from a photo.