SAU Community

Consult Problems

I got my self a consult cable last week and can't seam to get it to work.

I was using it on a USB -> Serial converter and have since tried it from a com port on my desktop.

There seams to be no communication back from the ECU. I have used a serial communication program and tried sending the hex string 0xFF 0xFF 0xEF(or was it 0xFE) and i don't recieve a responce.

Any ideas on why its not working?

The consult cable is getting power(LED lights up) its got a Nissan ECU in it no idea it its been modified(Altho it should still work if modified).

I may just try wiring it direectly into the ecu wiring.

I got the cable of Mearcat so im 100% sure the cable is fine

consult cable (ie consult interface, not the connector in car) doesnt need check - its only used for manual diagnostic features (ie shorting it with ign to get MIL bulb flashing or something).

check wiring with a multimeter to check continuity (ie that its only a few ohms from ecu to consult port) to make sure wiring isnt cut or disconnected anywhere.

For what it's worth, I used to have connectivity issues between ECU->laptop due to the order things ran.

I had to start ECUTalk, connect consult cable, have ECUTalk search for COM connections - then it'd find it no problem. Damn, maybe it was the other way around. It has been too long.

Anyway dude, if you haven't already, it might be worth a shot to change when you're connecting the cable. Mine would still light up but never detect the ECU.

Mark

generally the only order thing should matter is if u have usb/serial it needs to be connected before some consult programs are opened so they can detect the port. ECUTalk doesnt detect ports anymore as some port detect will lock up certain pocket pc's - you just manually select the port u want to open.

Cheers Peter.

Crans what software are you using?

I highly recommend Peter's ECUTalk. It is a kickass program that he provides for free. That said, if you try it and like it, you can beam over a donation via his website. /plug

the usb -> Serial converter isn't a problem as ive also tried using it with a desktop with onboard serial port

WRONG! A desktop is NOT a LAPTOP! :D (obviously!)

Laptop/Notebooks work in completely different ways in regards to software/electronics controlling Serial Ports etc generally!

Do NOT use the SER/USB converter if you want it to work.

If your laptop has no Serial port get an old one that does and try before blaming the Consult system.

SOrry i didnt make my self clear(Re reading it my self confused me)

I have a desktop computer that if being built as an in car computer.

It has on board com ports(Serial ports) I have tried the connector on the desktop with out using the usb to serial converter.

Im now using ecu talk and still no luck. gonna have to buy my self a multimeter to check everything

Took my car to nissan today and there consult worked with out too much trouble.

So i guess my cable is rooted.

Any one in north perth with a cable wanna do swapsy for 5 mins to see where the problem is

• 2 months later...

referning to this image http://www.ecutalk.com/images/consult_car.jpg

the consult port on our 2000 stagea looks very very similar .. but intead of the grouping of 4 pins on one side ( clock , ground . rx .tx etc ) the pins on teh stagea plug are a bit different.

can someone shed some light as to if my consult cable I used on my N14 pulsar can be modified to fit / interact with the stagea consult?

I think the cable I have is for ODB I .. does the stagea have ODB II?

oh and if anyone replies to this post can you PM me .. as I am fairly new on this forum and get a bit lost as to what threads I have replied to :P

many thanks