SAU Community

Damn Taxes!

GTR_STEALTH

I should get a good one this year... having finished uni last year and now working for a decent wage only for the last 6 months.

I always do mine myself as it is pretty simple if you dont run your own business or have complicated investments etc. Just do it on etax and go through every page carefully and read all the documentation.

Private health insurance, I have had it my whole life and couldnt think of why someone who can afford a skyline wouldnt have it??

Mine is $65 a month, and have used it a few times, used to have contact lenses/glasses etc so got rebates all the time. Had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, good luck getting that done if you dont have private insurance and its not urgent. Also had a cyst removed from my ear (which was deemed non-essential surgery) that would never had been done in the public system.

but in the end its up to you, i guess its the same as having car insurance, but you are risking your health, not just your car.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol i just checked my wifes group cert and i doubt shes going to be getting much back... she earns a little less then me... not a huge amount less... and she only paid 2500 in tax for the whole year! hahahaha go salary sacrifice :whistling:

hmmmm... she normally gets over 1k back too... wonder how that works

Im about the same as you, just a tad short cause i earn a bit less :D

Although i did get private cover, its worth it Adz for the cost offset if anything.

Gets ya another few hundred $$$ back, better my pocket than the taxman!

Oh, and accountants - SEE ROSSCO

WTF to you and Adz both??!!

How the hell do you get that kinda brass back?

I get nothing like it back, earn good $. I don't pressure the accountant too hard as at the end of the day, it's me that must facce the tax man's music if audited.

Private health insurance, I have had it my whole life and couldnt think of why someone who can afford a skyline wouldnt have it??

Mine is $65 a month, and have used it a few times, used to have contact lenses/glasses etc so got rebates all the time. Had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, good luck getting that done if you dont have private insurance and its not urgent. Also had a cyst removed from my ear (which was deemed non-essential surgery) that would never had been done in the public system.

I dont need contacts or lenses

I have perfect teeth, and never had fillings, etc

There is no family history of cancer, illnesses, etc etc etc

About two years ago i had broken my ankle and went through the public hospital. I was admitted straight away and required surgery involving a metal plate bolted to my bones. I was in hospital for a total of 3 days in my own room. I had the option of a TV for approx $7 p/w. I was in plater for a total of 6 weeks and underwent about 6 weeks physiotherapy without receiving a single bill.

Now,

If i was on private health insurance, what difference would that have made to my level of treatment????

I spoke with an adviser from HBA that came out to my work the other week and even she could not answer that question with a straight forward answer. All i could make out from her answer was something about paying an excess and a surgeon of my choice??? ....yer coz i hang out with all the surgeons down at the pub and know the difference between them :)

I strongly believe we do not give enough credit to the quality of our public system. As we can see in my case there really was not much more i could ask for. And take a look at the victims of the recent CBD shootings....would you not say they did a fantastic job in saving the life of a non-resident, who does not pay taxes here (not that i know of) let alone have private health insurance?

If the doctors deem a problem you have as "non-essential" like a cyst for example then obviously that means that its not going to kill you doesn't it? So if its not going to kill you, whats the urgency? And if you keep your teeth and gums healthy with regular, proper brushing from an early age then wouldn't you have to agree that prevention is better than the cure? I do agree with the $120 ambulance cover fee as that is not fully covered by Medicare.

Dont get me wrong, im not having a go at anyone here. Im just really struggling to find a strong argument for having such insurance when the public system caters for all needs anyways. I do also believe that there are people out there with special needs that require that additional care in which case i can then see the benefit in it.

....if someone can give me some really strong, scale-tipping, undeniable facts to actually have private health then im all ears and am more than willing to change my view. Heck, its why i posted the question up :D

Edited by GTR_STEALTH

Most people's tax is pretty simple - can do it yourself with etax if you understand basic tax rules.... only when you start getting complex stuff, own business, CGT, big deductions you need to go to an accountaint... i did it one year, they charged me 300$ and got me the same return i would of got if i did it myself.. so i just still do it myself every year...

zorb may have a HECS/HELP debt you haven't included Kris....

If you earn over 50k/y definatly worth having private health - you can either pay $500 to the government for nothing or you can pay $500 for private health and you may get something out of it - i use it for extras etc.... no reason NOT to if you earn over 50k/y.

Zorb does have hecs/help debt Im not sure but a visit to the accountant sounds the best being out of pocket nearly 2k deosnt really have me feeling the best..especially when tax money was going tot he respray and bodykit on the r33 :D and to think I used to love tax time.

And take a look at the victims of the recent CBD shootings....would you not say they did a fantastic job in saving the life of a non-resident, who does not pay taxes here (not that i know of) let alone have private health insurance?

Um I dare say that he would have had travel insurance and therefore would have been treated as a private patient?

But if you dont want to take private health insurance out, its up to you. Thank god we dont have a system like America! My friend paid US$2400 when he broke his arm for x-rays and cast, up-front before they would treat him.

I agree that if you are healthy and young maybe its not essential, but I like the peace of mind it gives me. Same as car insurance.

Rhett

I dont need contacts or lenses

I have perfect teeth, and never had fillings, etc

There is no family history of cancer, illnesses, etc etc etc

About two years ago i had broken my ankle and went through the public hospital. I was admitted straight away and required surgery involving a metal plate bolted to my bones. I was in hospital for a total of 3 days in my own room. I had the option of a TV for approx $7 p/w. I was in plater for a total of 6 weeks and underwent about 6 weeks physiotherapy without receiving a single bill.

Now,

If i was on private health insurance, what difference would that have made to my level of treatment????

I spoke with an adviser from HBA that came out to my work the other week and even she could not answer that question with a straight forward answer. All i could make out from her answer was something about paying an excess and a surgeon of my choice??? ....yer coz i hang out with all the surgeons down at the pub and know the difference between them :)

I strongly believe we do not give enough credit to the quality of our public system. As we can see in my case there really was not much more i could ask for. And take a look at the victims of the recent CBD shootings....would you not say they did a fantastic job in saving the life of a non-resident, who does not pay taxes here (not that i know of) let alone have private health insurance?

If the doctors deem a problem you have as "non-essential" like a cyst for example then obviously that means that its not going to kill you doesn't it? So if its not going to kill you, whats the urgency? And if you keep your teeth and gums healthy with regular, proper brushing from an early age then wouldn't you have to agree that prevention is better than the cure? I do agree with the $120 ambulance cover fee as that is not fully covered by Medicare.

Dont get me wrong, im not having a go at anyone here. Im just really struggling to find a strong argument for having such insurance when the public system caters for all needs anyways. I do also believe that there are people out there with special needs that require that additional care in which case i can then see the benefit in it.

....if someone can give me some really strong, scale-tipping, undeniable facts to actually have private health then im all ears and am more than willing to change my view. Heck, its why i posted the question up :)

spoken well by somone who have never been inside a private hospital. it may be hard to see the value as you've only experienced the public system, but sure a cyst on your ear may not be life threatening, but what if it's painful? or unsightly? wouldn't you want it operated on as soon as possible? I have a little experience of both and can tell you without doubt the pitance you pay for private health cover is worth every cent.

Our clients get between $200 and $2,000 on average. One guy got a huge $15,000 return, but thats cos he had a lot of business. It varies really. Even though i work as a tax accountant, i do my own taxes - will be using e-tax this year.

Some clients have the easiest tax returns, yet bring it to us to do it - if I was running the business, Id charge them $50 for the 10 min job instead of $140. Judging by your previous tax returns, you can estimate how much you will get back, if its going to be a lot, then might as well pay for an accountant to take care of it.

i worked last year in tax as well, get some of the easiest tax returns. i get jelous sometimes tho with the rich mofos

spoken well by somone who have never been inside a private hospital. it may be hard to see the value as you've only experienced the public system, but sure a cyst on your ear may not be life threatening, but what if it's painful? or unsightly? wouldn't you want it operated on as soon as possible? I have a little experience of both and can tell you without doubt the pitance you pay for private health cover is worth every cent.

so true

WTF to you and Adz both??!!

How the hell do you get that kinda brass back?

I get nothing like it back, earn good $. I don't pressure the accountant too hard as at the end of the day, it's me that must facce the tax man's music if audited.

Talk to Ross (purple32). He is a top accountant mate, and also was the SAU-Vic club auditor before taking in Treasurer.

My returns went from around 3.8k to nearly 4.6k in a year.

Its mainly to do with knowledge. What you can/cant claim etc.

The local suburban accountant that just does personal tax returns ive found generally to not know about ALL the laws and applications of them that could mean a fair difference, and in my case thats a good 800-1000 that i was better off :)

Nothing illegal about it. My 'burb' accountant didnt know what rate i could claim certain things at (travel/meal etc etc) so i was loosing out on the allowances i was fully entitled to use.

Agreed.

I think ive gotta have tonsils out later this year. First question i was asked was do i have private.

Otherwise i will be waiting for 6-12+ months for it to be sorted.

Where go private, it'll cost me maybe a couple hundred once insurance pays most of it.

I'll be basically put in when i want. Have the surgeon i want. Pain killers i want (within reason) etc etc.

I tell you now its better for me i wear the couple hundred than live with the pain and loss of energy etc.

Once you earn as much as me its just cheaper to get private health insurance than not to....

Yer tahts a key factor aswell.

I think im a good $300 better off so it would be stupid for me not to take private really

Spot on ash, over 7k alone in hardware plus depreciation, claims for home office too. It's who you know not what you know :D It's well worth getting your tax done right.

Ash - will talk to you about this private health care stuff, thought it was only useful when I was over 30 for tax reasons :S

sure a cyst on your ear may not be life threatening, but what if it's painful? or unsightly? wouldn't you want it operated on as soon as possible?

I've found this is probably as strong a point arguing for private health insurance as it gets.

soon as you crack 50k you start making savings with Private cover :)

I made 80K last financial.

1% of 80K would be $800 p/a, or $66.6 p/month which is about the same as what most ppl pay for their insurance now.

So one may say, "Well if its about the same then you might as well have it" .....but then what about the Gap that you have to pay whenever you do have to use health insurance??? Taking this into consideration wouldn't you say it ends up costing more actually?

....LoL, im a stubborn prick aren't I ? :D

Well The STiG is here on a Sat night of all nights actually doing his taxes.

What a PITA. Just going through the receipts now so I can hand off to the accountant.

Should be all done by around sunrise......

Would be nice if I get a nice return but who knows....... its a mystery.

Ada///M.

PS Yes I have private health cover with Medibank Private and pay $60PM with a few extras.

I have always done my own tax, its easy with e tax, I got all excited and thought I was going to get a grand back but then I realised I have the medicare levy to pay as well which cancels out my grand and I pay private health insurance to boot.

Seems like working families or unemployed layabouts reap more benefits rather than a single earning wage slave like me.

I used to love getting a tax return until I actually sat down and thought about it.

I got 2.5k last year but that was orginally my money and simply meant I had been overtaxed.

The government is just giving back what it owes me.

If I just get taxed the right amount - that 2.5k can be invested for an extra $150 odd of interest as well.

I save fairly well so I would rather pay after I lodge the correct tax return.

Also who pays $120 for ambulance cover? Ambulance victoria rip you off just get it from medibank private.

I just did a quote in 2 seconds:

AMBULANCE ONLY

Summary Single, Federal Government 30% Rebate deducted

Payment Period Half-yearly $13.65 Yearly $27.30

hmmmm... havent put mine in yet... just went to a new taxman. To give you an idea... my mate is with this guy and pays around 22k in tax a year... he gets back 18k a year :action-smiley-069:

hoping mine is something similar... altho it probably wont be until next year.

Damn! He must be claiming all sorts of things to end up only paying 4K a year in tax, otherwise the government wouldnt always have billions of surplus every year. He must be writing expenses off to businesses and houses etc??

I payed around 18K of tax last financial year with a 15K a year untaxed car allowance. I will be luck to get back even a 1/4 I recon.

I used to love getting a tax return until I actually sat down and thought about it.

I got 2.5k last year but that was orginally my money and simply meant I had been overtaxed.

The government is just giving back what it owes me.

If I just get taxed the right amount - that 2.5k can be invested for an extra $150 odd of interest as well.

I save fairly well so I would rather pay after I lodge the correct tax return.

Also who pays $120 for ambulance cover? Ambulance victoria rip you off just get it from medibank private.

I just did a quote in 2 seconds:

AMBULANCE ONLY

Summary Single, Federal Government 30% Rebate deducted

Payment Period Half-yearly $13.65 Yearly $27.30

Ah i would be careful comparing private ambulance cover with Ambulance Vic membership.

I think you will find they dont cover the same things. ie. Ambulance Vic covers everything, private only covers ambulance trips between hospitals etc.