SAU Community

V35 Modifications

Hey guys, new to this section as the old man is just about to get a 2003 V35 350GT :D Boys being boys we want to extract as much power out of it as possible (within reason of course; ie no forced induction) Considering it already has a Nismo exhaust fitted, what are some other worthwhile mods to do to the car?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, new to this section as the old man is just about to get a 2003 V35 350GT :D Boys being boys we want to extract as much power out of it as possible (within reason of course; ie no forced induction) Considering it already has a Nismo exhaust fitted, what are some other worthwhile mods to do to the car?

maybe some aftermarket euc or pulley kits? there is not much performance gained for n.a only if you go on turbo.

but I also want to know any others mods which we can do for our V35?

Edited by spikey

on g35driver, the only really worthwile mods they have described are exhaust and ECU

they try crap like intake manifold spacers etc but most are lucky to see 1-2rwkw extra with those

i have heard a few people with unichips on Z33's and have spoken very highly of them, so that might be a worthwile venture

Extractors high flow cats to match the rest of the exhaust, let it breath easy... those 500odd dollar ebay cams have caught my attention though i am very scepticale sp* , would like to see some long term results first.. if not ill get the head machinest to work some magic on it down the track when i free up some more cash.

Once ive fitted the extractors im going to start looking at ecu options, possibly give one of the guys i know at microtech a call and look at wiring one up as a piggy back type system.. id really like to raise the rev limiter a little as i think the z's get a higher rev limit from factory.

those 500odd dollar ebay cams have caught my attention though i am very scepticale sp* , would like to see some long term results first..

I've heard bad things about it.

Peter Pilkington (used to be the race mechanic for his son Nathan, who campaigned the first 350Z in GT-P, as well as running a workshop and importing business) had a 350Z customer who went that route. Every bolt-on done, and he had a set of those eBay cams installed (which were an exact copy of the JWT Step 1 cams). They fitted in perfectly, but the dropped a fair amount of midrange and gained 2-3rwkW peak. Net effect, the car was slower.

I've got a fair amount of bolt-ons to my VQ35DE (2003 model 350Z). Full exhaust, high flowed intake manifold collectors, intake plenum spacer, Unichip, redline reset to 7200RPM. The stock cams make good power all the way to 7000RPM, at which point the stock intake collectors become a restriction anyway.

You can get around this by using the collectors off a 221kW "REVUP" engine, which flow well to 8000RPM, but then you lose a whole bunch of midrange (as evidenced by the 10Nm lost on the stock engine).

At 7200RPM, your gudgeon pins will stretch and so to run consistently more RPM requires a new bottom end rebuild. I've heard you can get away with just replacing the pins, but with the work involved you may as well go forgies (and a stroker kit).

You might see some gains with a good cam grind and stock everything else, but I honestly can't see the point of camming the engine unless you're building the engine up.

Edited by scathing

Once ive fitted the extractors im going to start looking at ecu options, possibly give one of the guys i know at microtech a call and look at wiring one up as a piggy back type system.. id really like to raise the rev limiter a little as i think the z's get a higher rev limit from factory.

Manual non-REVUP VQ35DEs in the Z and V have a 6600RPM redline. The auto Z33s have a 7000RPM redline. To my knowledge there's no difference, internally, between the manual and auto engines.

The two ways you can bolster your redline is to either get the factory ECU reflashed (I had mine done by Joshua at Pro Concept, who used to do race mechanics for Mike Fitzgerald's GT-P 350Z) or by getting an aftermarket ECU that can cut out the OEM one.

The Unichip, therefore, cannot do it as it is a pure interceptor. The TurboXS UTEC can. I am a big fan of the latter ECU (even though I have the former), as you can plug a computer in to it and run your own outputs to screen or tune it yourself, as well as pre-load multiple maps. It has the option of intercepting (like the Unichip) or acting as a full cutout so nothing gets sent to the factory ECU (giving you more tuning options as well as a customisable redline).

There are a range of other ECUs (HKS FCon Pro, GReddy EManage, Haltech is piloting their ECU at the moment, off the top of my head, MoTeC) but I'm not as familiar with them.

Edited by scathing

they try crap like intake manifold spacers etc but most are lucky to see 1-2rwkw extra with those

The manifold spacer is actually a good mod. Its not about peak power, its about response and revvability.

The design of the VQ35DE plenum is pretty lousy. For whatever reason, the front of the plenum slopes down. With the non-REVUP engine's longer lower collectors, it means your front two cylinders get starved for air in the high RPM.

I'm not sure what its like with the V35, but on the Z33 with just a catback I found myself short shifting the engine at around 5500-5700RPM because it feels like it just runs out of puff (perhaps a true dual exhaust would help, I've heard those things flow better in the top end at the expense of midrange torque), even though it kept making power on the dyno. It was only worth revving it out to redline down the straight of a track, and even then it felt like it was labouring in that last 1000RPM.

With the spacer added, I found the usable rev band went up to 6000RPM+. Still not quite 6600RPM, but it certainly didn't feel like it was choking as early. And there was no down-side. I lost nothing down low, it doesn't make the car any noisier, and if someone pops the bonnet its practically invisible.

For a couple of hundred dollars, its a good mod for improving the feel of the engine.

do you have dyno proof of the spacer actually making a difference?

Technically no.

I have a dyno graph lying around somewhere before the spacer install when I had my Unichip fitted (about 182rwkW), but at that time my Unichip wasn't tuned optimally. I have another graph after the spacer install and Unichip retune (189rwkW), so the differences in the graphs aren't all necessarily due to the spacer. Both runs are on the same dyno, with the same operator.

Like I said, its not a power mod, its a response mod. Any gains you see on the dyno are incidental. Its the extra revviness of the engine and the knowledge that you're not running 2 cylinders richer than the others that makes it worthwhile (and, at $250, its not a massive outlay). I'd put the part in the same class as a lightweight flywheel, pulleys or short shifter rather than something like extractors, cats or exhaust.

Edited by scathing

fair enough mate, each to their own

what other mods are people planning?

i have just ordered the rearview mirror from the G35 in the states. its got integrated "homelink" and automatic dimming

i don't think it was offered in japan from what i've read and seen..

i'm also wondering why they didn't offer heated seats with the black leather/suede combo?

fair enough mate, each to their own

what other mods are people planning?

i have just ordered the rearview mirror from the G35 in the states. its got integrated "homelink" and automatic dimming

i don't think it was offered in japan from what i've read and seen..

i'm also wondering why they didn't offer heated seats with the black leather/suede combo?

Maybe suede doesn't get as cold as leather?

Some good info there scathing cheers mate.

Quick query my front seats are suede and the backs are suede and leather, and the door trims and center console are leather? anyone elses the same? or are my front seats out of a different car?

At the moment I am getting around 170KW at the rear wheels with a couple of mods, I was thinking about getting a IMPUL HIGH POWER CONTROL UNIT which is available for For Coupe VQ35DE or Sedan VQ30DD, VQ25DD but not GT8, as mine is a manual sedan I can use a lot of the PCV35 bits.

They say it gives you a "Max power increase, upgrading engine response and fuel consumption, torque up medium speed range, cut off speed limiter and spread rev limit, changing timing of ignition, fuel injection adjustment".

I just like to try something different from what everyone in OZ is doing and why re-invent the wheel if the Japanese are making it.

This is the mod I want to do next: Motordyne 1/2" Iso Thermal Spacer. Now just have to find a place to get it... hehe

I've just ordered mine from a member on 350z tech, who's in the states, but he organised a group buy and is shipping to Aus. $180 USD shipped.

It's his own fabrication. I think called Toykilla or something.

I've also installed a HKS Premium Suction kit, which is a straight intake pipe and new airfilter. Looks good, sounds great, but not sure if it makes any more power. Bum dyno, says it feels better but who knows.

And Tein 350z H-tech springs. Excellent springs if you want to lower it a bit, but still retain all the comfort.

At the moment I am getting around 170KW at the rear wheels with a couple of mods, I was thinking about getting a IMPUL HIGH POWER CONTROL UNIT which is available for For Coupe VQ35DE or Sedan VQ30DD, VQ25DD but not GT8, as mine is a manual sedan I can use a lot of the PCV35 bits.

They say it gives you a "Max power increase, upgrading engine response and fuel consumption, torque up medium speed range, cut off speed limiter and spread rev limit, changing timing of ignition, fuel injection adjustment".

I just like to try something different from what everyone in OZ is doing and why re-invent the wheel if the Japanese are making it.

Hey Nigel,

what's the deal with things like the IMPUL rom, do they need to be tuned once on the car?

I was looking at the AMUSE rom for the CPV35 about a month and a half ago, but got a bit scared with the fact that there would be noone here in Aus to tune the thing, if needed.

Amuse, have built some tear a$$ vq35's which is why I was looking into it.

Cheers

Bobby

It is a bolt in job or exchange with the OEM unit, I have Japan Parts listing different bits for the V35 that I think Aussie buyiers are looking for that are not already listed, a couple of links below of what I am looking at stocking and a couple of the Impul cars.

Like a Ralliart computer for the EVO, frees it up and changes the tuning a little.

ECU_skeleton_300.jpg

General CPV35 bits.

Infiniti Badges V35

Infiniti Badges CVP35

V35_535CS_800.jpg

V35_535S_800.jpg

M35_535W_800.jpg

I was thinking about getting a IMPUL HIGH POWER CONTROL UNIT

But isn't it soing to be tuned for Japanese high octane fuel?

Is it like the Mines ROMs that can't be retuned afterwards?