SAU Community

V35 Modifications

Hey Mr PULP - yep but it looks better in the flesh as the pic doesnt have the KS Burnout Carbon kit on it :)

I saw you the other day in Osb Park actually

I think Im convinced on the HKS kit!

JK

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well those US headers are on, no fitting or LHD issues at all, took around 6 hours, performance wise i cant tell u as i havent started on the rest of the exhaust system, its going to be twin 2 1/2" with an x pipe and high flow cats and no resonators... i know its large but its there now so when i can afford to go the aspirated route i dont have to change the exhaust again.. I also just ordered a JWT pulley kit and pop charger, the oem 350z intake pipe is just a pipe without the resonators so im just going to knock one up while im doing the exhaust... let you all know how is goes.

Hey Mr PULP - yep but it looks better in the flesh as the pic doesnt have the KS Burnout Carbon kit on it :P

I saw you the other day in Osb Park actually

I think Im convinced on the HKS kit!

JK

Hey yeah I saw you too :D

Have you got any pics with the new kit yet? wouldnt mind seeing.

Hehe, toying with some ideas and now doing some research, Im very much liking the idea of a VK56 sitting in the engine bay... Selling the current engine and gearbox package i could just about break even on cost to do it... If anyone of you have read my thread on my 33 (see link in sig) im not one for being told things cannot be done... If i was to do it it i would probably be aiming for around november december start...

Edited by NA_R33

Well, the headers are on, along with a full mandrel 2 1/2'' system complete with highflow cats and x pipe, threw a 350z carbon intake pipe on and my old k n n panel until the JWT popcharger and underdrive crank pulley arrive.

The car feels heaps stronger right throughout the rev range, its in bad need of some resonators though as it as a very raspy twin cam resonance about it... But it most definately goes considerably quicker.. will try get it back out the drags sometime soon too see just how much better it goes..

NOTE: The ebay "Dry Carbon Intake" does not fit... its about 4-5inches too long.. i had to cut it down and even then it still isnt the best fit... Im going to email the seller to see if i can come to some sort of resolution but im not holding my breath... see pics below...

post-3649-1187009901_thumb.jpg

post-3649-1187009925_thumb.jpg

post-3649-1187009947_thumb.jpg

post-3649-1187009984_thumb.jpg

Edited by NA_R33

• 4 months later...

This thread has been dormant for some time, but it has some good info and just needs everyone to bring it up to date with their mods and thoughts. The SoSK project R33GTST is just about to have its forged engine installed, which pretty much completes the build. A red V35 Coupe manual with Track Pack is going to take a few months to find, so plenty of time for some research.

This is pretty much the look we are chasing, as seen at SEMA;

gallery_1903_2168_470333.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_708585.jpg

The suspension will be my usual combination of Bilsteins (PS9's in this case), Selbys Swaybars (of course) and whatever alignment products I can source, especially something to give it some more caster, Skylines always need more caster.

The power up kit I currently favour is this one;

gallery_1903_2168_264090.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_462642.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_953619.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_254014.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_729148.jpg

I am thinking the GTRS's as the 3.5 litre will have no problem spooling them up. Plus I can run low boost and still make some power, around 300 rwkw would be nice. The ECU is the current open question, at SEMA HKS were suggesting the FCon, but I am not happy being in the hands of one tuner only. So what have you guys found?

Merry Xmas

Gary

I am thinking the GTRS's as the 3.5 litre will have no problem spooling them up. Plus I can run low boost and still make some power, around 300 rwkw would be nice.

The APS TT's turbines are Garrett GT2835R's, if I remember correctly, and those things are making usable boost by around 2800RPM. It might give you an idea if you know what those turbos are like in comparison to the GT-RS'.

Also, 300rwkW is right on the limit of the stock bottom end. I'd assume that you'd go for a rebuild, though.

The ECU is the current open question, at SEMA HKS were suggesting the FCon, but I am not happy being in the hands of one tuner only. So what have you guys found?

One of the most popular ECU's at the moment is the TurboXS UTEC (i'm looking at replacing my Unichip for one eventually). It supports multiple maps that you can change via a switch, can act as an interceptor for the OEM ECU or cut it out completely (not sure how important the former is if you're not planning on street driving the car). The programming software is available so you can run a laptop yourself and do your own tuning (or output the diagnostic displays if you have a car PC).

GReddy is releasing an F-Manage in the near future, which has good control of the CVTC for both intake and exhaust (I don't know how many ECUs can adjust the cam timing module) but its not out yet, and I'm not sure how suitable it is. Only the 221kW VQ35DE's have exhaust-side CVTC, and I don't think any V35s came with them.

A friend of mine is running a Haltech at the moment, with assistance from Autotech in Granville (the approved APS installer in NSW) on his APS TT 350Z. Not cheap, and its barely hit the market so there's very little experience with them for the VQ35DE.

I am curious as to why you're choosing the V35 over the Z33 when it comes to buying a FM platform car to modify. The Z33 is lighter and stiffer, and with a stockish looking bodykit it has better cooling due to the larger front grill.

Last question first, I want a Skyline, a red one, I like low volume imports, there too many 350Zs' for my purposes, a V35 is a Touring Car whereas a 350Z is a Sports Car, a V35 is cheaper and I think it looks better with the longer wheelbase, plus I occasionally need rear seats. Yes, it will most definitely be street driven, daily in fact. Plus it will see the track occasionaly as most (but not all) of my cars do.

I have looked at the Turbo XS and I like the functionality to piggy back it with the standard ECU so that the electronics function normally and the cold start and run are factory tuning. The cost is a bit on the high side, but it seems one of the better solutions.

Will probably stick with the standard engine with maybe some cams, until we kill it. That then opens up this huge bag of USA stuff that I looked at at SEMA. Plenty of engineering fun to be had for years to come.

Merry Xmas

Gary

If its being regularly street driven, a V35 is a lot more convenient than the Z33. Sometimes not having rear seats is a pain in the arse, as is a stupid strut brace that doesn't let you carry luggage. I thought you were building an off-street car, which is why I was asking.

Being able to piggyback the UTEC so you can retain the OEM ECU niceties (like cold start, timing adjustment depending on fuel quality, open loop and closed loop driving, etc) while also being able to run it in a full ECU replacement for track use is a big reason why I want to drop my Unichip, while not splashing out for a Haltech.

If you find cams for an NA application with a near-stock redline, I'd be quite interested to see what you get. Most of the upgraded cams I've seen for the VQ35DE have ended up gaining sweet FA in the top end, but losing a noticable chunk of midrange, unless the engine's been built to rev.

If its being regularly street driven, a V35 is a lot more convenient than the Z33. Sometimes not having rear seats is a pain in the arse, as is a stupid strut brace that doesn't let you carry luggage. I thought you were building an off-street car, which is why I was asking.

Being able to piggyback the UTEC so you can retain the OEM ECU niceties (like cold start, timing adjustment depending on fuel quality, open loop and closed loop driving, etc) while also being able to run it in a full ECU replacement for track use is a big reason why I want to drop my Unichip, while not splashing out for a Haltech.

If you find cams for an NA application with a near-stock redline, I'd be quite interested to see what you get. Most of the upgraded cams I've seen for the VQ35DE have ended up gaining sweet FA in the top end, but losing a noticable chunk of midrange, unless the engine's been built to rev.

Cams in an N/A application are somewhat of a different proposition to cams in a turbo application. You use boost to fill in any midrange holes in the torque curve caused by the longer duration. The extra lift is a real benefit as it lets the air flow hence reduces the amount of boost required for the same power out put. More importantly in an N/A engine being boosted, the increased overlap is beneficial as it reduces the effective compression ratio. Plus I can run more ignition timing for better response, than would otherwise be the case.

Simply put, I don't care about an N/A hole in the mid range, it just won't be there when we apply some boost.

Cheers

Gary