SAU Community

New Turbo For R33

hi guys i have a nissan r33, with stock internals. i am looking to upgrade from a t4 turbo to a newer t3t4 version. it can boost as much as 30psi. what i want to know is how much boost can the ENGINE handle, dont worry about anything else.

i have gotten conflicting advice such as i shouldnt boost past the 8psi stock boost. but of course with the aim of greater horsepower, it isnt always possible.

So what is the REAL maximum boost that the engine can take.

thx

maximum boost can be upto about 21psi, but it varies can be less the valve train or usual valve bounce can happen around that limit, its not the boost you should be worried about, its the engine in most cases that should be looked at first, its hard to determine your goals or possible goal without a real mod list of what has been already done to the engine first.

Cheers

A

As far as im aware you can run 15psi on a stock engine without damage. I myself run an RB25,which is stock as,apart from a blitz pod filter.I run around 13/14 psi constantly.Had no problems at all,she's been that way for almost a year now.But I'm not a mechanic so i could be wrong about the psi range.I'm pretty sure that if you want more psi you'll have to spend more.If you know what i mean.But anything under the 15 range should be sweet.Once you pass that your gonna want more fuel squirting in her. You probably already know that thou! :P

It's not the pounds, it's the power output you are running.

I'll be running up to 18-20psi depending on how the turbo is performing and that'll be around the 250-rwkws

As long as the turbo is up to it, it's ok.

Some people have up to 300rwkws but i wouldn't recommend it.

Robbo ( i think) had 22psi running thru his R33 using the HKS2535 and it ran fine.

He's since upgraded and most likely got less psi with more power as the turbo can push more air.

You should move the whole conversation from psi to "How much rwkws can my stock engine handle"

...or change it to "how much psi can my (specific) turbo handle"

If it's standard turbo, 12psi is prolly a safe limit. 14psi would be ok too if you don't care how long it lasts but that's about it

Ah... I see.

So the power level will tell you if you need to change internals or not. 270rwkw is supposed to safe apparently.

Is it possible to measure the volume/amount of air that enters the engine? so as to essentially say how much the motor is capable of flowing? eg. X motor can flow Z amount of air/per minute?

Ah... I see.

So the power level will tell you if you need to change internals or not. 270rwkw is supposed to safe apparently.

Is it possible to measure the volume/amount of air that enters the engine? so as to essentially say how much the motor is capable of flowing? eg. X motor can flow Z amount of air/per minute?

thanks for all your responses, i will definitely get an engineer and tuner to check the engine first but i will be aiming for about 20psi.

there are a few examples of posts in here that go off the topic. i just wanted to know how much boost the engine could handle. but u always get that when u ask a question about turbo's.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES=FOOD FOR THOUGHT :thumbsup::thumbsup: