SAU Community

Import Question

giant

hi

could someone please steer me in the the right direction for paper work and what ever else is required for importing a race only car, i have purchased a car in japan and need to import it , it will not be being road registered ever(circuit only car.

thanks russell

you will need to prove your car is eligible for the racing you intend to do, and that you have the appropriate cams licensing for a start

car is being built for time attack in japan and the u.s.a

and these events are not cams sanctioned as far as i know?

cheers russell

so what do you mean?? you want to import it to australia, to build it here, to then use it back in Japan and the USA?

so what do you mean?? you want to import it to australia, to build it here, to then use it back in Japan and the USA?

yeah thats correct!

thanks for your help guys

cheers russell

even in that case, you will still need to apply for a race/rally approval through DOTARS.

I hope you like paying $$ to shipping companies!!

the link razor$harp gave you above should have all the info you need to be able to do it...

in SOME instances, you may get away with only having level 2 cams licence, but level 3 is what is normally requested.

let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Beau

edit: another consideration.... you are meant to provide with your application proof that you have competed in events here before, along with evidence of events you plan to enter over say the following 12 month period.... so if you are planning to only use it in Japan, and USA, DOTARS may not like that.

Edited by insanity

I'm sure Russ has the competition experience required, you need to provide its plans for future competition as well. And the person who applies for approval will need a PC or NC license - but you can sell it to someone else once it is here.

Pretty sure you will need an import approval each time it is imported back again - sounds like a lot of trouble to me.

Cheaper to build 3 shells to the same specs and leave them there at 2-3k per import (RORO) and even more in a container