SAU Community

32 Gtr Shudder / Resistance When Cornering

Had a search around but couldn't find anything similar.

r32 gtr - recently had all fluids replaced in rear diff, gearbox and transfer case. When I picked it up I noticed it was making a low, almost exhaust sounding noise when cornering at low speeds.

Now at very low speeds on full lock, the car shudders almost to a halt and really resists. It does it somewhat at regular speeds as well - you can hear it. The less steering angle, the less resistance - and it does not give any problems in a straight line.

Feels to me like somewhere between gearbox and rear diff - but too hard to tell.

I jumped under and checked drive shaft bolts etc but could not see anything obvious.

Any ideas?

Edited by paulR32gtr

Hi,

What type of oil did you use in the rear diff? Was it for a LSD diff?

I has a simular problem when I switched to Redline lightweight shock-proof on my R32 GTR. LSD would sort of lock up. Very noticeable when conering slowly. Car would also shudder on take off.

Changed back to normal Diff LSD oil with the correct SAE rating, all fine after a few hundred kays.

I know some people use Redline shock-proof in their diffs but I will never use it again except in the gearbox. My experience anyway.

Good luck

Had a search around but couldn't find anything similar.

r32 gtr - recently had all fluids replaced in rear diff, gearbox and transfer case. When I picked it up I noticed it was making a low, almost exhaust sounding noise when cornering at low speeds.

Now at very low speeds on full lock, the car shudders almost to a halt and really resists. It does it somewhat at regular speeds as well - you can hear it. The less steering angle, the less resistance - and it does not give any problems in a straight line.

Feels to me like somewhere between gearbox and rear diff - but too hard to tell.

I jumped under and checked drive shaft bolts etc but could not see anything obvious.

Any ideas?

Yeah that's kinda what it is like - locks up all the time. Same kind of noise you get when high speed cornering and the diff is doing its thing.

Racepace did the work so I assume they know what it going on seeing they would stare at these diff's all day every day. I took it out there with a fair bit of Redline lightweight shockproof for the gearbox - maybe they put it in the r.diff as well.

I had redline 80w140 hp gear oil in there before which seemed to work well - no such probs.

Might change it over and see how it goes.

Thanks.

i've heard this is normal for a GTR - the 1.5 way rear diff is grumpy at low speed cornering.

Seems to have a lot to do with the kind of oil in there.

Lightweight shockproof, for me at least, locks the diff completely when at full steering lock. The poor little inside rear wheel is trying to turn at the same speed as the outside - pretty much stopping the car from moving.

I never had the problem with Redline 80W140 gear oil so im going to switch it back today and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...