SAU Community

new 141kw corolla sportivo ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Honda Civic Type-R or integra type-r is much better than celica or corolla. pity civic type-r is not available here.

I have seen a jap video tape (not sure if it is best motoring). Celica, civic and integra were on the race, civic and integra passed the celica up hill just like that!!! in the end integra came first and civic came second. I must say civic is such a fast car...

I still believe for the price you can't go past the corolla ,i drove one last week and found it fun little car. But will never compare to the rush a skyline gives you( but i love that 8200rpm cut out in the corolla)

well 8200 cos its a four cyliner remember! my dads M3 revs that high as well, but hehe that doesnt compare lol. ne ways mate overall a skyline is much better in my eyes, a coralla is simply a corolla and thats what it will always be even if they chucked a V12 in one and made it a 400 kmh super car

I looked at this car too. Thought it was excellent value. I was actually gunna sell my S15 for it cos I was going through a silly stage. Lucky I changed my mind, I will keep my S15. ( For a while anyway)

I still bought the sportivo but it will be our second car for my gf to drive to work and do the shopping. I will let u all know how it goes when I get my hands on it and wring it's neck. Should be ready tomorrow on the 10/7. And it's red btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I always believe what I read in magazines and papers, but a recent review in the Sydney Morning Herald panned it severly.

The review reminded me of the Corolla SX 100 kw I used to own. Great engine but the rest of the car was a piece of shit. Steered and handled like a overpowered shoping trolley and had pathetic brakes. Pity the Civic Type R is not sold here as apparrently that is the car to have if you want a FWD hatch. ;)

I am not been harsh at all. The SX was failry crappy in its day and quite bad now. Just drive one and see. A mate had a Integra of similar vintage (and much highre kms) and it was much better dymanically on the road. And that generation LS Integra wasn't the best thing around even then.

And the new Sportivo is more of the same - read the reviews. Journalists can be right some of the time.

Hmmm, interesting... But i really dont like the way corolla looks, their ugly, well not my type... They really dont have any agresive looks on it, just looks like an any ordinary corolla to me!

But i wouldnt mind a Focus ST170, i seen few of them on road and damn they are nice, and look like a pure WRC car! and i think they got something like a 140kw n/a from a Zetec . not bad at all for n/a ha? Europe is releasing a 230kw Focus 4WD 2.0 turbo 6 speed manuel version using a Cosworth engine, after seeing the success of the RS Focus over their. Apparently when the RS Focus Turbo came out, they were sold in few days all of em, and only 500 came out. They are ok though, their FWD 2.0 Turbo and do mid/high 14's!

car is not all about preformance!! Corolla is a family car, now with a better engine, that's it. Have driven 1 of them (new corolla), very nice car, good handling and ride quaility, i like it. I will take it over a N/A skyline at any day.

each to there own, but not much feels as responsive handling wise to a skyline, i have driven a lot of performance cars from aussy HSV's to crazy imports and higher end Euro's like the M3 and have not found one that feels better on the road then the skyline. Ive driven a 32 a few 33's and one 34 and i reckon the 32 is eaasily the best but the 33 is not far of it and i would not by another car till i get old and my but starts to get sore from a stiff ride and i need something a little softer but for now nothing feels better then a skyline.

i recently was taking for a ride in a corollo of the current generation, but not the sportivo 141kw version.

to my suprise, he had a good amount of grip, especially having 4 guys in the car as well.

Driving in my own car along side him, there would be much of a contest in straight line, as soon as u were in the fun zone, last 3000rpm of your tacho, you would pull away easy.

Originally posted by hakosuka

and there is no way a NA Zetec gets 140 kw......

why not?

is it because you think ford make crap engines?

is it because you dislike the way the car looks?

making a N/A car produce big power figures isnt hard, making it have a decent spread of torque across the rev range IS hard.

Look at honda Vtec engines, they make very good power for NA cars, but the reason why their engines are good isnt because they produce high numbers, its because they can still produce resaonable torque across the rev range AND also have healthy peak power figures.

Yes :)

Ford do make crap engines - as well as crap cars - generally unrefined, it is tradition and history shows it, althought the XR6 turbo donk is very good - still it took them 10 year to build something of a similar spec to a RB26DETT. Admittedly they are getting better now.

Ford will never be known as an engine builder like Honda or Nissan is - their cars are made for the great unwashed. :shake: