SAU Community

How-to clean your AFM

rmahawaii

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. disconnect your AFM from the pipe that leads to the turbo

2. unbolt the airbox (if its still there) so that the piece conneted to the AFM is loose

the afm and half the airbox should come out together

3. get some break caliper cleaner/ electrical contact cleaner from supercheap auto

4. hold the AFM upright and spray in small bursts into the AFM onto the element which you should be able to see. don't use too much - keep it for next time

5. let it dry (should not be long) and reverse the order you did to take it out to get it back in

your AFM is clean! now all you have to do is reset the ECU and your right as rain!

the afm is right b4 the air box or pod filter if thats what u have. Its a hard plastic tube with an electraical socket connected to a temperature sensor and it wont really need cleaning unless you have got a dirty filter or no filter. Why do you want to clean it though ?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1. disconnect your AFM from the pipe that leads to the turbo

2. unbolt the airbox (if its still there) so that the piece conneted to the AFM is loose

the afm and half the airbox should come out together

3. get some break caliper cleaner/ electrical contact cleaner from supercheap auto

4. hold the AFM upright and spray in small bursts into the AFM onto the element which you should be able to see. don't use too much - keep it for next time

5. let it dry (should not be long) and reverse the order you did to take it out to get it back in

your AFM is clean! now all you have to do is reset the ECU and your right as rain!

hey guys,

yea this is really good but some pics would be smashin'!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, pics would be good.

So if i take out my AFM, spray carby cleaner inside it (where the little

tonsil sticks out in the tube of the AFM), wait a while for it to dry then

put it back together, it should run better???

I already cleaned the AAC, so I'm working my way through the list.

Can someone PLEASE clarify once-and-for-all which is the best cleaning agent for the inside of an AFM?

- Electric Contact Cleaner

- Brake Cleaner

- Carby Cleaner.

I'm looking to do it TONIGHT, and want to know what to buy.

Thanks,

Adrian.

Well, I'm being told that carby cleaner will leave a residue, and that will attract dirt to it and clog up the afm sensor again. Whereas the brake cleaner evaporates and doesn't leave any residue.

Either way, I'll use ONE of them, and if it fixes my stalling problem, I'll at least know that's the cause of the problem.

Thanks,

Adrian.

I'm going with an electric contact cleaner from Jaycar (as mentioned earlier in this thread). Will let you all know how it goes in my other post under 'general maintenance'.)

...let the insanity begin...

Mate contact cleaner is fine. I've used that one from Jaycar plenty of times with no side effects. Just spray from a distance of about 15cm, in the direction that air flows through the AFM (ie not against it) and you'll be fine.

Just as well you told me that, cos I wanna go spray it from both sides!

What if i spray it from the wrong side first, then from the right side?

Or should I just not bother, and only do the front side?

Should I stand it up when I spray it, or hold it horizontally?

Thanks all.