SAU Community

How To Remove The Oil Filter On Rb26?

7yphon

Im cleaning out my oil and would like to know how to remove the oil filter from the RB26 looks really hard, anybody got some ideas or tips they can give me?

its dam hard specially if ya have big hands.but i found either spray ya hand with hair spray,let it dry then try twist it off.

other options is a oil filter remover.

Im cleaning out my oil and would like to know how to remove the oil filter from the RB26 looks really hard, anybody got some ideas or tips they can give me?

mate its a bitch i tried it from under neath on a hoist but i could not get in and the top is a little easier i had to get a mate with small forearms to squese in there to get it off if that helps at all ;)

The rb26 oil filter is just like all those other rb components - ok if you have small to medium sized hands. Unlike a holden or ford fangadore - which haev miles of space, these skylines are tight.

Just make sure that car is cold - its impossible if you've just driven it because you'll keep burning yourself. Keep trying. you'll get more courage, and you'll stick your hand further and further in. Eventually, you'll work out a good way of how to get it.

I've got a GTS-4 and it's a hard job to change the oil filter too. I think the only way of getting it out is to reach in and twist it out. I guess you can always get an oil relocator kit. That's after you get this filter out ;)

changed mine today.. i removed it from underneath using a hoist and fitted the new one from the top.

just make sure you put some oil around the seal before you fit the new one

I don't think the GTS-4 and GTR boys/girls can change the filter from below because of the front axle and diff? I don't know, I've just changed it from the top and it doesn't look like you can change it from below. ;)

When I changed my oil this is the wrench that I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Universa...9752&sr=8-2

The jaws rotate as you turn the ratchet, which tightened down on the filter and squeezes it tightly.

I had to put it on by hand, then get a ratchet down there, I just cracked it to get it loosened then I removed by hand.

Be careful though, because there is both a hose that is kinda in the way and a wire for a sensor down there.

Don't get them caught in the jaws which might tear/pop them.

THAT WOULD SUCK!

Its still a P.T.A. to get to, but its a lot better then trying to dislocate both your arm to reach and your head to see what you need to see to be able to work on it.

Oh and few cold ones do not hurt matters either.

Edited by i4dat

LOL big screw driver and a hammer, drive the screw driver through the oil filter and then you have enough leverage to at least unseat it. Then you can twist it with your hands.

Messy though!!

LOL big screw driver and a hammer, drive the screw driver through the oil filter and then you have enough leverage to at least unseat it. Then you can twist it with your hands.

Messy though!!

That's pretty dangerous. I remember punching a screw driver through my filter and it created really sharp edges on both sides of the filter. Once you put a screw driver through the filter, you need to keep using the screw driver to take the filter off.

Just my experience.

Yer but you have the added bonus that once you have punch a hole through it you just have to change it LOL.

After i broke the seal the filter spanner worked a charm. Then removed Hicas no problem now