SAU Community

R32 Legal Ride Height

got my 32 defected the other day by the locals, aparently it was too low but it is running full stock suspension, he done me for a r32 coupe specs which is 360mm all round from the centre of the wheel to the eye brow on the guard, i have since bein told that a r32 sedan sits lower than a coupe so if any one knows what the spec is for a sedan it would be very helpful as i got no way on this earth gettin it to sit that high

This eyebrow bullshit again.

You're in South Australia right? I'd really love to know if this is a legal measurement as it certainly isn't part of the ADR's. Things like ground clearance, head light height, high mount brake light height all must conform to minimum heights off the ground, but center to guard measurements?

Can you fight it and say that your car isnt a coupe its a sedan, and that the sedans sit lower?

Does the car actually sit lower or are the guards lower? When i had my VT wagon i found out that the rear guard was lower than the sedan ones, maybe same kinda thing here?

This is from SA TRansport legislation:

Transport SA has a list of acceptable suspension and eyebrow heights (the measurement from the centre of the

wheel vertically upward to the edge of the mudguard) for most passenger vehicles and can be contacted to

verify if the ride height of a vehicle is within acceptable limits.

but, in the next paragraph:

Raising of the car is not recommended due to the cornering instability that may result.

How fn stupid is that?

Out of interest, do they actually measure the height of the car off the ground? Could you, for example, get some custom guards that sit the wheel arches higher and then have the ride height below 100mm and be legal?

This is from an oldish set, but there is an ADR (ADR 43/02) covering ground clearance:

43.4.4 ‘Ground Clearance’ The ‘Ground Clearance’ of a vehicle, other than an L-Group vehicle [Motorbike / Moped], measured from a horizontal road surface to any point on the underside of the vehicle except the tyres, wheels and wheel hubs shall, under the conditions of ‘Maximum Loaded Test Mass’ loading as specified in the relevant braking Rule, be not less than:

43.4.4.1 for any point in the width of the vehicle which is within one metre fore and aft of any ‘Axle’, 100 mm;

43.4.4.2 for the mid-point between any 2 consecutive ‘Axles’, the dimension in millimetres obtained by multiplying the distance between those 2 ‘Axles’ in metres by 33.33; and

43.4.4.3 ...

hey guys, this is in regards to my 32 (cheers soslo :thumbsup:

yeah got defected for to low, when i had it at work to bled brakes everything is still factory etc, and when soslo took it dow for inspection, they used 2door specs, that wasaslo 91 onwards.. (its a 89 lol)

so yeahi could fight it on a couple things, i dont wanna go buy another set of springs when ive got a set of coilovers on the way...

and yeah, the guy that does inspections down here has NFI what his doing, stock factory BOVs are illegal apparently.... lol

cant defect/stop what they cant catch

well seems that way with all the stolen 32's in SA at the moment

next cop that pulls me over is going to get a big talking too

stuff the outcome

dont blame ya man

on ns.com every 2nd thread in the sa section is about a stolen r3*

still, if anyone has any idea what the stock height is for a 4 door, please let me know, tried calling regency but didn get through

tempted to chuck coilovers in, and see if i cna use them to get through....

***qucick edit, im assuming "eyebrow height" is centre cap of rim to guard???

Edited by driftrx

• 2 years later...