SAU Community

Looking For A Quiet Exhaust? Review: Kakimoto Regu 06&r

sewid

As some of the NSW people know I recently got myself another GTR, an R33 this time. It came with an over the top 5zigen exhaust the previous owner fitted which turned out to be a straight through job with no cat at all. Needless to say this was LOUD, illegally so and a defect magnet.

I decided this needed to go before I attracted the wrong kind of attention from the defect squad so headed on down to Just Jap in my lunch hour to see what they had. I heard from the guys that this Kakimoto Regu 06&R is supposed to be a very quiet exhaust while still being large in diameter and not restrictive so I went for it. I also fitted a Catco Stainless hi-flow 3" cat at the same time to keep myself legal as far as emissions go.

When looking for an exhaust it is sometimes hard to know how one will differ from the others as they're all very similar in looks which is why I decided to make this thread to offer an opinion on this exhaust which someone might find useful if they need something less noisy.

kakiregu06r.jpg

Thats the exhaust, what you see is what you get. It is extremely good looking in the flesh, made in Japan, perfect welds and quality stainless with a titanium look tip. Gaskets are supplied as well as the required bolts. The sections are held together by 4 bolts as opposed to the 2 normally used in catback exhausts.

The exhaust fits up nicely using all the factory hanger locations and sits exactly where it should in the middle of the opening in the rear bar. This helps a lot when you consider a lot of cheap exhausts can hang low or hang off fewer number of hangers which shortens the rubber hangers lifespan. My 5zigen exhaust for example was on only 2 hangers.

Overall impressions when I first started it was amazing. It's the same as a stock exhaust when idling as far as noise goes with a nice growl as revs build. dB wise i bet this wouldn't even come close to the 90 dB limit so another plus. This kind of exhaust is exactly what you want if you have to drive your car long distances and hate the drone.

As for restriction, well I felt the car perform no differently with the Catco 3" cat + Kakimoto combination than it did with the No cat + 5zigen straight through. This is most likely because my front pipes are standard and both exhausts are adequate for this setup.

As far as comparisons go, it is about the same as the Trust Power Extreme II exhaust idling while maintaining a quieter engine note as revs build. The benefits over the Trust are that it appears to be made of higher grade stainless giving it a more solid look and feel.

Anyways, please feel free to offer any of your experiences with this exhaust. If you're wanting to buy a quiet exhaust then I recommend checking out the Aussie Kakimoto dealer Just Jap or the thread in the trader section with pricing.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I have the HKS Silent Hi-Power, it is not silent. Hate to think what the non-silent model sounds like. Has a nice rumble and sounds amazing at high revs but would be around the 100-110dB mark for sure

Hi mate, nice review

If people are looking for another quiet option but with twin outlets I'd suggest the Fujitsubo I have on my car:

ex011.jpg

Where did you get this exhaust from? I'm looking for a quieter exhaust that also gives me more ground clearance, looks like this one might.

What model Fujitsubo is it?

Well i am looking for a quiet exhaust that still flows and this one is appealing but at 90db it'd almost all be engine noise (and i can't stand the engine noise) so i was thinking of going (already have 3" system) with one of those adjustable DB ones that use a butterfly to recirculate the exhaust gasses through another chamber and you can adjust how loud u want it in cabin by adjusting the butterfly

Has anyone ever used one of these? I want something that will be 100-110db whilst open but run at around 85-90 when closed

(sooo sick of changing from hks super dragger muffler to stock one every time i get defected)

Well i am looking for a quiet exhaust that still flows and this one is appealing but at 90db it'd almost all be engine noise (and i can't stand the engine noise) so i was thinking of going (already have 3" system) with one of those adjustable DB ones that use a butterfly to recirculate the exhaust gasses through another chamber and you can adjust how loud u want it in cabin by adjusting the butterfly

Has anyone ever used one of these? I want something that will be 100-110db whilst open but run at around 85-90 when closed

(sooo sick of changing from hks super dragger muffler to stock one every time i get defected)

Gday, my exhaust is a 3 inch RSR exhaust with split dump decat and 2 mufflers. It is really quite and flows good enough for 305hp atw with the rb20det

sounds like ur talking about a x force varex muffler they seem like a good idea....... u can switch sound via a remote......

Ah yeh thats the one, couldn't remember what they were called, was just curious to find out if they make a 3" (as in 3"+ through the muffler) application to fit 32 gtr's or if anyone has used one of these before

I'm aiming for around 350awkw and need something that flows

Ah yeh thats the one, couldn't remember what they were called, was just curious to find out if they make a 3" (as in 3"+ through the muffler) application to fit 32 gtr's or if anyone has used one of these before

I'm aiming for around 350awkw and need something that flows

The Kakimoto should flow plenty for that sort of power.

Yeh, kakimoto seems like a good option but at only 90db it will be too quiet (i like rb burble)

Just had a look on Xforces site and it doesn't seem like they make those mufflers with the adjustable butterfly set up for 32 gtr's =(

Turbo-Back System(R32 GTR)

Including:

1)Twin Split Dumpipe;

2)3.5" Hi-flow Mettalic Cat;

3)3.5" middle section with oval resonater;

4)3.5" rear section with angle-out cannon muffler.

exhaust sound clip.

I'm guessing the "exhaust sound clip" is one of those pieces of metal with a 1.5" hole drilled in it that you place over the front of the exhaust zz!

I'll make my own thread to try find an adjustable volume muffler so i don't steal yours hehe

I rode in Sewid's GTR yesterday and I think that the Kakimoto is the best compromise between overall noise and power. On idle and cruise the 06&R is very sedate, which is great for long drives and traffic use, but under open throttle the system has a very very nice sharp bark to it.

Oh, yeh i just noticed that, i went into options for r32 gtr and they only sell full systems but there mufflers can be adapted, i wasn't sure if they sell them without a full system

they have a vid on there site of a rex getting 81-85 db then opening the butterfly and getting 95-98 so yeh i'll be getting 1 of these, wanted a full system though, guess im gonna have to buy a system and then get the muffler taken off and a new 1 fitted

sry hijacks!

GTAAAH....please note that those variable butterfly valves are illegal according to the EPA and the chances are that you will be picked up on it here in melbourne as they are well aware of them.

Basically the only way they are legal is if the car is fitted with it from the factory....ie ferrari, lambo's etc etc

Oh wait really? i noticed on the site they said for off-road/track use only but that's a disclaimer so i didn't think it'd matter

That sucks, i didn't think they were that common that the cops would know about, guess it won't be long before they are looking up the throat of the exhaust zz, also guess if i ever had to take it in for an EPA i would have to take it off

I guess i'll either just leave my hks super dragger on and change to the standard one every time i get EPA'd or take a shot and go for the xforce as i know cops around my area won't pick it at all