SAU Community

Hydraulic Bonnet Supports

inthisglass

Hey guys,

Now i have noticed on a lot of cars, that instead of having the old metal prop to hold the bonnet up they have hydraulic arms either side of the engine bay that allow you to sit the bennet at any level.

Skylines have them in the boot but still have the metal prop for the bonnet.

i was curious as to why they werent made with the hydraulic system on both as it would make thigs a bit easier when working on your car, as the prop bar often gets in the way.

Has anybody else noticed this and tried making up some hydraulic arms for their bonnet?

i have looked around and havent managed to find anything either diy or aftermarket and would be interested in doing it myself if anybody has any information.

cheers

Karl :(

• 4 weeks later...

There's a few companies here in Japan making them now..Signal, Tein just off the top of my head..give me a few days and I'll post some details and pics if i can work out how to post em!!

• 3 weeks later...

i've just completed an r33 kit. Pics might be avaialble soon. R32 and 34 kits might come.

I'm really busy with work though. Most likely there will be 2-3 for each car, and that's it. No more. Not making any money out of it.

It's just been my quest ever since I got my skyline to get bonnet struts.

I had this done to my previous car. My car was the guinea pig and the guy fabricated the brackets up and everyone else in the group buy was sent a kit with everything they needed + instructions.

Prices were something like: Black Struts: $150, Chrome Struts: $170 - 3 years warranty - we could possibly get a group buy happening if we have enough interest?

l_8269048ab04f5498a76ce907788be143.jpg

Edited by vietorious

i've just completed an r33 kit. Pics might be avaialble soon. R32 and 34 kits might come.

I'm really busy with work though. Most likely there will be 2-3 for each car, and that's it. No more. Not making any money out of it.

Heya,

which struts did you end up using?

I had this done to my previous car. My car was the guinea pig and the guy fabricated the brackets up and everyone else in the group buy was sent a kit with everything they needed + instructions.

Prices were something like: Black Struts: $150, Chrome Struts: $170 - 3 years warranty - we could possibly get a group buy happening if we have enough interest?

l_8269048ab04f5498a76ce907788be143.jpg

whys it only sitting halfway up? struts not strong enough to push it up itself, or is that full height coz the struts arent long enough?

lol it CAN easily go higher and hold postion... it can hold itself in any position quarter way up, half to full etc - looks good for photos. Less then a quarter way just drop it and it locks itself into place.

• 5 weeks later...
There's a few companies here in Japan making them now..Signal, Tein just off the top of my head..give me a few days and I'll post some details and pics if i can work out how to post em!!

Any news from you guys?