SAU Community

Doing The Half Day At Wakefield! Woohooo

sl33py

After what seemed like forever with steering/suspension problems (5 workshops/nearly a year buggering around... turned out to be an intermittent problem with the steering rack), the car finally behaves! So I'm taking it to Wakefield to do the half day race course with Dereck (Fifth Gear) on Thursday. :happy: I guess the upside of the past problems was that in the process, I've pretty much replaced the whole suspension and the car handles like it's on rails: SydneyKid's shocks/springs, more adjustable rods and bushes than I knew existed, adjustable sways...

Anyway, very excited to finally be lined up for some go-fast. My brake pads (EBC Reds) are about half used, will probably need replacing soon after. I read somewhere that 1:20ish or so is respectable time for a complete newby, hope to come close :)

Bit hyper at the moment cos the car's been a POS for the past year, this is like having a new toy all over again :wub: I've read the track prep threads, so think I'm all good to go. Just one thing: I've seen some ppl tape up their headlights, is there any point in this?

My coming week is: Cheap dyno tomorrow morning (since car wasn't ready for the recent dyno day), watch Bathurst on the w/end, then Wakefield :thumbsup:

PS: stock, good condition castor rods for sale! See sig.

Edited by sl33py

Great to hear your back sl33py. To soon (money) for a track day with dereck for myself but I'm hoping to get on one in November.

Motorbikes tend to say 1.20 is respectable, best I've done is 1.16 on the bike. Never been timed in the car, but will be this Saturday.

Taping headlights is so the glass does not shatter and cover the track in the case of a mishap. Never seen it needed and since most Skylines are plastic, mostly useless.

Edited by a20089

I've only had the GTR out there once (so far :laugh:) - stock using standard tyres I managed a 1:15, would love to have another crack with my Federals on.

You will have a great day with Dereck (Fifth Gear) he has a great way of explaining things and getting you to really listen to the feedback from your car

I went up with a few of the boys from here about a year ago now on stock suspension and some ok street tyres (although they melted bloody quick) and 175 - 180rwkw the fastest lap i pulled was a 1.18.76 and a 1.19.00 (unofficial) but i would say general laps were maybe 1:21 - 1:22. Frink was doing 1:13's all bloody day :laugh:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t1...ield&st=160

lol @ luke chasing me down... this was probably one of the times i came off the track :D

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...st&id=62398

Hey dude, if you don't mind going through what happened with your underitems (:P) I'd appreciate it.

I've got an annoying suspension issue too and can't pin down what it is. Makes the car really lame to drive which sucks =(

I went up with a few of the boys from here about a year ago now on stock suspension and some ok street tyres (although they melted bloody quick) and 175 - 180rwkw the fastest lap i pulled was a 1.18.76 and a 1.19.00 (unofficial) but i would say general laps were maybe 1:21 - 1:22. Frink was doing 1:13's all bloody day :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t1...ield&st=160

lol @ luke chasing me down... this was probably one of the times i came off the track :P

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...st&id=62398

Lol I just looked at all the pictures from wakefield yesterday....I would love to do all that with you guys again (although having a car would help ;)...one day soon ill be back)

I can't wait to go up again, best I managed first time out was a 1:12 in Derecks GTR, and 1:18 in Dj On Ice's stock BMW 318is.

The only problem about going up this time is I have to drive my own car, lap times are going to be HIGH 1:30's 1:40's ;)

Good Luck with it, if you cacn break into the teens your doing really good for a newbie :)

Well managed many laps of 1.13 odd with the stock car and Federal 595 SS's. Just wait till I get some instruction from Dereck.

I thought the 595 SS's were a bit hard when cold and they just didn't stand up to the demands of the track under a GTR. I ended up running half on the sidewall and sliding all over the track, ripped a small chunk off the tread as well. I'll have to speak to Frink or someone about a better choice, possibly the RS's.

Well managed many laps of 1.13 odd with the stock car and Federal 595 SS's. Just wait till I get some instruction from Dereck.

I thought the 595 SS's were a bit hard when cold and they just didn't stand up to the demands of the track under a GTR. I ended up running half on the sidewall and sliding all over the track, ripped a small chunk off the tread as well. I'll have to speak to Frink or someone about a better choice, possibly the RS's.

:) my RS's

:) my RS's

I wish you were there and we could exchange sets for a session to see the difference.

New WRX STI's and an evo were pulling 1.12s by the end of the day with semi slicks.

Next wheels/tyres/suspension/RDA rotors and new pads coming soon.

I wish you were there and we could exchange sets for a session to see the difference.

New WRX STI's and an evo were pulling 1.12s by the end of the day with semi slicks.

Next wheels/tyres/suspension/RDA rotors and new pads coming soon.

I really want to get back out to Wakefield (timed) with the RS's now. I did the 1:15 with Falkens which I was told were supposed to be sh!t hot... but after running around there with the RS's on the GTST I knew I didn't have the same grip or confidence with the Falkens as I did with the Federals. Edit: you may remember me saying in an earlier thread that my Falkens squealed like a b!tch all the way around Wakefield, I wasn't happy with them at all.

I think I proven this at the last hillclimb, its only a very short track and this last meet was the first time I used the Federals on the GTR and you can see the time improvement. I could really feel the difference. I didn't get the understeer I often feel on the tight turn at the top of the hill (GTR) this time, I really felt it dig in and come around. My times are pretty close to Derecks around there now (look out Dereck, I've set myself a target LOL)

Dereck split/run 13.87/50.56 12.65/48.57 12.60/48.16 12.91/48.88 12.49/48.62 Federals 01/09/07

Michele split/run 12.83/49.55 12.62/48.51 12.55/48.68 12.52/ 48.74 12.48/48.47 Federals 30/09/07

Michele split/run 12.91/50.05 13.06/50.34 12.95/50.00 12.38/50.32 12.58/49.81 Falkens 01/09/07

Mark (smart @ss) 12.04/47.70 12.23/47.63 12.18/47.68 12.13/47.33 12.20/48.77 Federals 30/09/07

I swear by the RS's because of the visible results I'm getting from using them - much as I would like to say its because of Mick and his frangipanis *ducking for cover*

My only complaint is that all improvements I make to my car, Mark gets the same benefits grrrrrr I want a mod I can put into my car that doesn't work when he's driving it LOL

Well I've got Toyo T1R's, which a couple of knowledgeable sources say will be "OK", but don't give as big a bang for buck as say the Falken 452. The Federal RS's look like they'd be simply awesome on the track, but could be pure ice skates in the wet on normal road, and I have to choose a set of tyres that will do for all :( My biggest weakness is going to be having stock power and the car still weighing a bit over 1400kgs when I take my sub out (I've got a lot of sound deadening). Still, hope my suspension and maybe skill will make the most of what power I DO have. :)

Well I've got Toyo T1R's, which a couple of knowledgeable sources say will be "OK", but don't give as big a bang for buck as say the Falken 452.

I had the T1-R's on my car when i did my wakefield day. I personally think they are a little soft and not to well designed for the circuit use. Don't get me wrong on the street they are probably one of the best ones particually in the wet. but i found they started melting after 3 or 4 really hard laps and a warm day :(

The Federal RS's look like they'd be simply awesome on the track, but could be pure ice skates in the wet on normal road, and I have to choose a set of tyres that will do for all :(

I was cautious at first because I thought the same thing, but Mark really gives it to it in the wet and says they're pretty good. We use the RS's for street and track for the GTST and should change back to wear out the Falkens but keep putting it off. If I didn't have the brand new Falkens sitting there, I wouldnt change back by choice, I'd keep the RS's on.

Melting?! lol I hope not, these are only half a year old

Awesome. The RS's look awesome in that case.

Video works. Yep.. little oops :) But breezing by a Ferrari like that is cool to see haha Don't think he was going all out? Thanks for that video, very good quality

Video works. Yep.. little oops :rant: But breezing by a Ferrari like that is cool to see haha Don't think he was going all out? Thanks for that video, very good quality

I must point out it was during the warm up sessions and trying to be steady for the camera. aka why I let the evo 7 pass. The Ferrari was going fairly hard, it was probably 20+ years old, we must respect our elders :)

1st timed session I was thr 3rd quickest, only beaten by a full race car and some Ferrai with a V12 and slicks. I ended up running mid pack 2nd session before my brakes finally wore out.

I'm about to purchase one of these

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t1....html&st=20

The front torque just would not engage when I wanted it.

And these

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t158914.html

with the EBC red pads most likely

And these

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t177690.html

Just becasue I'm doing the rotors at the same time

Need a spare set of wheels and some semi slicks next.