SAU Community

Help With 32 Gtr Broke Down Today

Mark0

My partner was driving out 32 GTR today when it started spluttering on her she drove a further 10 k's and the car was spluttering on and off, it eventually just cut out completely and would not start.

When I got there the car was kicking over perfectly but not even sounding like it was going to start.

We checked all the fuses, the car has power, powerfc comes on and looks normal, all intercooler hoses are still on.

We went and got some more fuel and put it in the car, the car then started ran for 20 meters sounded a bit strange on idle i slightly reved it the car it splutted and then immediatly dropped the 0rpm and stalled again, i then pushed it off the road again :|

It would not start, we eventually towed it home.

Checked the Fuel pump fuse and all other fuses, taped the fuel filter still no go.

The only strange thing that I seen was the Cat light (i think thats what it is) flicked on and off really fast a few times I have never seen that before.

The car has heaps of fuel (battery is now flat after trying to start it a lot)

Does anyone have any idea's ??

I am checking the fuel pump tommorrow (any ideas on an easy way to do this)

I think its the fuel pump has craped it self as I cant hear it prime when i first turn the key on, thats my guess, but does not explain the cat light coming on, I called gavin wood he suggested stuffed afm or popped intercooler hose. NOT HAPPY JAN

The R34 GTT is looking good :|

Edited by Mark0

Probably afm(s) dying coz it happened to me, same symptoms.

Only difference being i could still start the car every time, it just wouldn't idle for longer then 30sec

Could possibly be fuel pump too like you said, that might be a reason you saw the cat light flashing. Coz the fuel pump was dying making the motor run lean and making the exhaust gasses hotter

Ok so the Cat light is the sensor in the exhaust, i seen it when it was on the hoist a while back, but I have no cat :thumbsup: but yer either of those 2 might be the issue, anyway to diagnose afm ?

Edited by Mark0

Ok so the Cat light is the sensor in the exhaust, i seen it when it was on the hoist a while back, but I have no cat :cool: but yer either of those 2 might be the issue, anyway to diagnose afm ?

I would offer advice, but i see your another one of those people running no cat.

You can do an ecu diagnostic for the afm, but that won't necessarily show that the afm is dead coz it might be intermittently working. Do a search for 'ecu diagnostic'

Stick your head in the boot and get someone to switch the car on reds and see if you can hear the pump buzz. Otherwise take it out and put some power to it and see if it works

This happened to me once before where the cat light would turn on & the car would crank but not start... It was my ecu. I chucked on a spare ecu & the car started up & the cat light disappeared. Do you still have your factory ecu still on you, chuck it back on & start your car. Hope that helps...

I would offer advice, but i see your another one of those people running no cat.

I bought the car like this and have not had the $500 to put one in yet (which I am doing), dont be to quick to judge people :cool:

The Car started first go this morning so I am a bit stumped, it did rain very heavily for 3-4 mins while my parter was driving home yesterday, but she said she didnt hit any big puddles and the rain was gone quick, but I am guessing some rain must have gotten in somewhere and shorted the fuel pupm wiring-fues or something, when i turned the car on before starting it this morning I got the priming noise from the pump, and the pump is about 2 years old and is a Nismo Unit. Thanks all for you help, hope it does not reoccure not sure how to get this diagnosed or checked.

The only strange thing that I seen was the Cat light (i think thats what it is) flicked on and off really fast a few times I have never seen that before.

Just for the record. My car did that once when I was at the track (at idle in the pit lane) and tried to stall. The only that I can think of that could have affected it, is topping up the tank with V-power racing after using Mobil / Caltex 98 octane fuel forever. It was strictly a one-off thing in my case and did not do it any other times that day or in the future.

dont even think abuot going backwards into a R34 GTT... only a crazy person would do something so stupid

stick with a the real deal, and forget about the fancy shit heaps. sounds like it might be fuel. get a cat

graph afm voltage on pfc hc

He's on the money,

Look at the voltage signals of the two AFMs, you'll see one is much lower than the other, typical R32gtr problems. R34 or 33 gtr afm go straight in. As a matter of fact i've got a 33gtr afm forsale too, same problem to my old 32, bought a pair and only used one.

Thanks all i will check out the Voltage today I already have 33 gtst AFM on it aswell.

I love my car but I have my partner aswell lol and her breaking down on the way did not leave a good impressions lol

fuel pump wiring...probly the grounding wire. you must have bumped it when fiddling in the boot. check to see where the pumps earthed to. Exact same thing happened to me where the pump wasnt priming. went to start next morning after i had grounded the wire properly and it was fine. Definately a pump issue tho. no way it would be pfc or afm's.