SAU Community

Tyres

antsr33

Hi Guys

Had fun this morning . . spun my car 2 times and ended up on a grass walkway = i need new tyres - anyone had experience with maxxis tyres - im looking at 18's with nice rims from bob jane. Also can anyone give me advice on where to get my car checked - mounted a kerb at the end of the second spin. . . bit worried about the steering although it seemed OK going abot 60 on way home

Cheers Everyone

The general consensus is that Maxxis tyres are pretty good. But in the end it still boils down to which model you use. One of the Maxxis tyres rated in the top10 of wheels/motor (cant remember) tyre test if im not mistaken.

And about workshops, depends where you are located.

You spun out once... Did something in your head not click and say "Slow down, take it easy, it's wet, you've already lost it"?

How do people manage to do this in the wet to themselves? I've been on bald tyres (Outside of tyre had tread, but inside was shot... 3deg camber) and in the wet, with oil to the point you could see it, and the only time I had an issue with traction, was accelerating away BRISKLY (If I drove how I should in the wet, there wasn't an issue!)

So, I ask, how were you driving when you spun in the wet?

Hi there

yeh you are right it was wet and i did accelarate quickly because a car was speeding and bearing down at me fast - i didnt think and put my foot down on reflection i should have waited but you dont always make the right decision - it was a stupid thing to do and i have learnt by it - maybe it was a cheap lesson.

i think he meant spun twice as in doing 720 degrees and ending up on the kerb (fair effort btw mate) . i've done similar - well fishtailing atleast and unfortunately for me i didnt get away with an inexpensive prang. its down to inexperience with these cars. i didnt know shit back then. now i do

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant you spun it, drove off, spun again.

Yes, these beasts do take a fair amount of care in the wet. Even in the dry they do as well...

Next time at least you'll remember to be uber careful in the wet.

yeh ive gotta say, dont know what u were doing, but to just spin like that not in an emergency situation or anything, maybe u should take it easier in general. hell ive driven on completely bald tires before in the wet and sure if there was an emergency situation i would have been screwed, but under normal driving i didnt have any real issues, just need to take it easy.

if ur worried about damage get a mech to check it and maybe get the wheel alignment checked.

It sounds like he's got the message guys. He's probably just an upbeat guy.

Try hitting a wet skid pan sometime Ant. It will teach you a lot better control under these sorts of conditions. I think sometimes it's more a matter of getting a better feel for what the car will do as well as feel how much grip you have rather than just a blanket 'slow down' if you know what I mean.

Get to a track or skidpan ASAP and figure out wtf you are doing!

I haven't spun out since I was a P plater driving a manual v8 HZ Premier.. and I'm not shy with my right foot either!!

Sheesh... talk about an intervention! Ant mate... shit happens... that's why cars get repaired. It's a bugger cause it costs money but eh, what can ya do?

About the tyres.. I'm not too sure.

About the kerbing, if it was slow... that's good, however you may have still bent some bits of the suspension so worth checking it out. Worst case, the rear cradles on the skylines bend at the slightest bump...if you didn't hit the back wheels, then this doesn't apply to you, but it you did... you may have bent your rear cradle. In most cases a bent rear cradle is not gonna be a big problem as all it results in is that you might not be able to get both rear wheels to the same camber.

Good luck sorting it all out mate!

Cheers,

Ozan.

Unless you know a good alignment place I would probably take it to a mechanic first and get him to have a look around to see if anything is bent. If he thinks it's OK then get a wheel alignment and ask them to look at the "before" figures because you kerbed it. If they are still roughly within range then they can try and align it, otherwise it's not worth their while you're better off replacing the bent part(s) and then getting it aligned.

Shit happens, and it's not always bad tyres. My newish Dunlops are getting worse in the wet, they spin up really easy and it shits me. Won't be buying Dunlop again that's for sure, they weren't cheapies by any means.