SAU Community

Thinking Of Getting A Jeep Wrangler

Hey all. I'm thinking about getting a Jeep Wrangler (the one that looks like the old WWII jeeps). Does anyone know much about these?

Basically I'm looking to do a little bit of 4WDing and want to go over speed bumps without having to slow down. :P

Can anyone list down some positive and negatives of getting one? Or better still, has anyone had one or know of anyone that has one?

jeepfg9.jpg

Things I do like: The old retro look and open top

Things I'm not sure about: The inside looks really cheap. I'm not a fan of soft tops (wind noise, get clouded window and can tear) and the hard top that you can get looks odd. Fuel economy because it's a 4.0 L V6 petrol, no turbo diesel option. Easy to steal things out of (slash soft top, open bonnet etc)

Any other suggestions for a 4WD that is under $20k?

Edited by HotPlates

I have been into 4wd competion's for 10 years and have seen most makes and models having there go. Unfortunatly as far as Jeeps, well they cost a lot to modify (but yes so do most) but they also break real easy. A friend of mine is finding this out right now. He wants to run 33" tyres ARB bullbar and front and rear lockers. ARB said to do this correctly it will cost him about $15k. I have one of the most modified Suzuki's in Oz that is still street legal and will say yeah I spent a lot to get it to this level, but no were near as much as other brands and have won most events I've entered (one event I'm still the only registered car to of completed). As for being easy to roll I guess they all are able to roll but I never have and as you see in my pic it gets good angles.

i dont like how you can open the bonnet from the outside..look on the side of the bonnet and there is like a plastick clip on both sides..they open the bonnet. If anyone wanted to they could open your bonnet and be a prick and do stuff to it.

oh also i did work experience at adrian brian ford and they also do jeeps and what not and none of the mechanics there said they liked them

Edited by vinnie34gtt

as an empolyee of Jeep i can say DON'T BUY ONE unless you like frequent trips to a workshop and enjoy paying large sums for parts. They are fun to drive off road but i would never buy one

Edited by Whiplash

Got an XJ Cherokee 95 model good reliable and these days available dirt cheap

ZJ grand cherokees with V8's are only bout 20ish these days too

Get your parts from 4wdHardware or the like on the net an they are not even too bad to modify

Old tech not all that fuel efficient but DAMN good for what they are

Longer wheelbase of a XJ is an advantage too

hmm that's and idea. expensive though.

i picked up an old 85 single cab hilux. $2500 has a 3.8 commodore motor in it and has been mod plated. couple little things before a roadworthy like new tires and new front swivel hubs and then it ready.

if your just looking for something to thrash then look around. no point gettin and imaculate and expensive 4wd just to get scratches all over it. and trust me. it will happen

My mate was looking at buying last year. We test drove one and found that its not really that comfortable and its quite loud in the cabin. The pros are that you can practically take all doors off and just hose the interior down. A unique feature i found was that the wind shield can flip down onto the bonnet.

one of my mates got one and he didnt even really look into them which was kinda silly. anyway ive been it it quite alot and the things ive found out are: they go through alot of fuel, very loud you can hear alot of wind noise ( he has the hard top) and yes its loud when the top is on you have to speak very loud. hitting bumps and speed humps actually hurt. he is for ever cleaning his windscreen because of bugs always hitting it. you can buy lockable clips to put on the bonnet my mate bought some.i think the only good things about them is that you can drive them off road. oh yeah also the indicators are on the opposite side. im not hear to just say i hate them im just stating everything i felt while in it and what my mate said about it while driving it. i hope this helps, if you have anmore questions about them and how they drive just ask i might be ablt to help you since ive been in my mates quite a bit, only because he dosn't drink lol.

one of my mates got one and he didnt even really look into them which was kinda silly. anyway ive been it it quite alot and the things ive found out are: they go through alot of fuel, very loud you can hear alot of wind noise ( he has the hard top) and yes its loud when the top is on you have to speak very loud. hitting bumps and speed humps actually hurt. he is for ever cleaning his windscreen because of bugs always hitting it. you can buy lockable clips to put on the bonnet my mate bought some.i think the only good things about them is that you can drive them off road. oh yeah also the indicators are on the opposite side. im not hear to just say i hate them im just stating everything i felt while in it and what my mate said about it while driving it. i hope this helps, if you have anmore questions about them and how they drive just ask i might be ablt to help you since ive been in my mates quite a bit, only because he dosn't drink lol.

How does the fuel economy compare to your Skyline?

I wish Toyota came out with an equivalent and addressed all the pit falls of the Jeep. I guess I love the look of the Jeep the most out of all the 4WD. It's hard to resist when you see pictures like this. It looks like heaps of fun! :)

154061005z2007jeepwrangrk3.jpg

I'm guessing the whole cabin would fill up with water though? Or are the doors water tight?

i admit it they do look like fun. my skyline is better on fuel but mine is non turbo so im not sure what a turbo one is like. in my opinion they are a great car made for off roading so as long is its going to be used off road as well it would be good pick, unlike my mate who has never used it off road.

If you actually plan to cross creeks like that go the jeep they really are fun

Mines been all over some pretty remote places up here in the NT

Read up on ausjeepoffroad.com some pretty cluey types on there

as for comments above about hard suspension??????

they are short wheelbase so can feel a bit crashy

in my cherokee I dont even bother to slow for speedhumps unless the backs full of stuff

fuel economy really isnt that flash though

gtr got 500ish a tank Jeep only 400ish

but the old 4.0 jeep motor is pretty damn bulletproof

an they will generally go where toyotas wont

Edited by noone