SAU Community

Cf Bonnet.. Fixing Holes

justin911

hey ppls

ive got a CF bonnet with stupid bonnet pins and i wana take them off but obviously there will be 2 holes. Would it be pretty easy for a place to fix up the 2 holes and then respray it all again ? and assuming they knew what they were doing would i be able to tell it was ever fixed up ? i dunno how CF works..

also how much do you guys rekon a job like that is worth ?? and anyone in melb wana do it for me ??

thanks

1) even East bear supply pins and highly recommend you fit them to ensure that the bonnet is fixed and safe from breakages from vibration.

2) any patching of the carbon will show up as the would be no way to match the Weave pattern to hide it, unless you were painting it to match the car and removing the carbon look.

3) patch the holes then get a new sheet of twill set onto the top of the existing bonnet should work onto the gel coat as it sticks to the other side but would be expensive

4) replace the pins with the aerocatch (sp?) the flush mounted pin system - legal i believe

5) wait for someone else to have a better suggestion - think its Noy that works at a carbon place in QLD - name escapes me now

Custom Carbon in queensland is no more

Noy might be able to advise on the hows an whys though

but I think craved is about spot on

has anyone seen the "aerocatch" pins in the flesh they look quite good on the net

sure some of the top secret cars use em to the supra maybe?

aerocatch latches look shit, too big and ugly IMO

thats why i sold mine

great bit of gear but shit looks

you selling yours Anthony was the first palce i saw them...

safety rarely looks good unfortunately

as long as the pins are adjusted low enough there wont be an issue

i use normal pins and have never had an issue with vibration or anything

ive heard heaps of people who use the stock latch complain about the bonnet wanting to fly off

normal pins and a secondary emergency restraint (bit of steel rope with clips or D shackles on either end) will keep everything nice and safe

thanks for all the info :w00t: it sounds like its not worth trying to take em off.

the car is white and has one of them black plastic lips, im thinking maybe ill leave the pins on and paint them either white or black or something. there blue atm.

pins come in different colours, plain silver for me.

the aerocatch ones will need a *big* hole in your bonnet but they look nice and safe and friendly - you won't put a pedestrians eye out with one of them

but normal pins are much easier to open the aerocatch ones are a bit fiddly