SAU Community

Cost Of Owning A Car In Japan

sleeper_et

Thanks for the info all, very useful. Gotta start filling that moneybox up hey.

Out of curiosity those who have done it, what car(s) did you buy, were they modded by the previous owner and how much did you pay? (id you dont mind me asking?)

Edited by sleeper_et

I dont want to think about this. My shaken ran out yesterday... I hate shaken, any body who has seen my car would understand :(

Ouch

Yes but it still costs 140k yen :domokun:

And ouch again. Isnt normal shaken about 200k? So isnt 140k a good price? Either way it still hurts to cough it up. If you dont mind me asking, whats next on the cards, now there is no nova.

Bloke I do it myself for 80 000yen and when cant be bothered,pay the little jap man 10k ..14k is pretty bloody exxy

The test and fees are only half of the cost when you drive a modified car, the other half is getting it back into 'roadworthy' condition to pass the test.

True..I'm up in hokkaido and there seems to be endless amount of work shops that turn a blind eye to mods. Things I thought for sure would need to be changed for shaken have got the reply of mondai nai. Mind you I have to drive a fair way to my bloke but for the stress free and cheap price its worth it. Plus now he has a constant flow of gaijins with their cars now.

Ouch

And ouch again. Isnt normal shaken about 200k? So isnt 140k a good price? Either way it still hurts to cough it up. If you dont mind me asking, whats next on the cards, now there is no nova.

Well its off getting looked at now. The guy I gave it to said a `paper shaken` might be easier after he saw how many bits wouldnt pass LOL. I dont really care as long as when the cops run the plates it comes up ok. Paper shaken may be 120k, have to see what he says first as apparently they are clamping down on dodgey inspections in Osaka lately.

Been pretty busy with exporting although with the AUD taking a massive drop its starting to make everything look pretty shadey as to whether I can pay or not :no:

elrodeo666 - can you do dodgey shaken your self or do you mean present the vehicle your self? if I were to present it I would need A LOT of stock items LOL. Apparently list of stock parts that need to be changed over for me to pass would be.

headlights

front knuckles

shocks

wheels

bonnet

muffler

windscreen washer

and a couple of things pulled out like tie rod spacers and maybe rack boots fitted etc.

none of which I have lying around.

Edited by Streeter

Naah bloke, dont do it myself for modified car..Japanese mates I know with shops are rippers at getting modifications through but as you said being in Osaka compared to good old country Hokkaido, your cops are hell of alot more intense. Honestly its really a joke up here, my work car (legacy Gt) had the noisest exhaust and humngus system on it pluss was so lowered it worked better as a snow plough in winter and never ever had a problem getting through.

Supposedly replacing low beam globes with snow globes is illegal but everyone here has them and when it comes to shaken , well again no probs..I could probably put a slab for the mechanic on the back seat but dont want to start a trend.

In 6 years I've never personally been pulled over the closest was a cop at the lights telling me I didnt have back tail light as it had been smashed out drifting in the snow and he wouldnt stop with the sumimasens. He didnt stop me just pointed it out at the lights and went on his way..

yeah my play car is a little bit too far from stock.

I have no mufflers, just straight pipes with a silencer vice gripped in each tail pipe. car is literally 15mm off the ground and is not really drivable on the road. Should get word tomorrow as to what he thinks he can do. I hope its just a paper shaken as a proper one is probably going to cost more than 140k as there are too many items that are going to have to be swapped out.