SAU Community

Yet Another Problem

R33GOD

Yeah, but its like what came first.

The Chicken or the Egg. :)

In this case, the middle-area of damage to the wheel would suggest it came first, and the rest of the failure came as a resulting factor... being the middle doesnt "damage itself". Its almost impossible id imagine

I think this is a rubbish opinion, and you are seeing things, no offence.

There is absolutely no damage that hasnt been caused by parts of the comp wheel as it has disintergrated. Hell i wouldnt be surprised if the wheel itself was made from low quality materials contributing to the ease in which it came apart and then the damage it caused.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case, the middle-area of damage to the wheel would suggest it came first, and the rest of the failure came as a resulting factor... being the middle doesnt "damage itself". Its almost impossible id imagine

The core or middle as referred will crumble once oil seal has gone small washer/ring washer 2-3mm thick then bearing or bearings will crack and the core crumbles, shaft snaps, wheels go good buy and the retaining nuts fly off, leaving the housings shredded unuseable. Ill find my phone leed and post pics tomorrow

You cant rule out something coming causing problems but anything small enough to get in wouldnt cause a problem 99% of the time its balancing. Freak problems happen but still comes down to affecting balancing.

The only way you will know is if you take off the exhaust housings/compressor housings 6 x 10/12mm bolts and have a look.

Looking at the outside wheels doesnt tell you much we are all just guessing and you still cant be for certain lol thats about all i really know

Edited by INFRNT

because highflows get hotter as they spin faster so ive been told there not designed to run highboost but you shouldve still made more power, heaps of factors oil supply to bearings, quality of oil, oil temp,fuel quality/octane levels, fuel supply, air temp , afm ratings, temp on day between tunes at 14/16psi if done on same day could go did you watch it on the dyno i dont believe in tuning cars on dyno how may 7sec drag cars get dyno tuned NONE? Who Tuned Your Car? Lol

Edited by INFRNT

My mate owns racers Choice in seven hills he has drag cars/Drag Bikes/ Shit everything lol Lucky bastard not one of his cars ever gets dyno'd were goin off question here lol

Cheez i think you meant seeze lol

You still need a turbo

I have just read through this thread with interest. My Slide highflow done the exact same thing 6 months ago. Exactly the same situation, turbo was pretty new, had done approx 1500kms, had a proper, full power fc dynotune with z32, injectors, fmic, full exhaust, cams everything on 16psi and about 300kms later, one night it just let go. Boosted up then pop, no boost and grinding noises. I babied it home and pulled everyting apart and the pics are below. Nothing had been pulled apart prior so if there was something in there it would have been sucked through already. And it had a full filter setup so absolutely nothing could of or did go through it.

Yet when I tried to get it fixed under warranty, the owner Sheldon (because Aaron was uncontactable for prolonged periods) who builds the turbos said something must have gone through it or it overboosted. My car has the power fc boost control kit and was only running 1.1 bar and did not overboost nor did anything go through it. After being promised it would be repaired asap and within days it took weeks and they would not return my calls. After I finally drove down to see them face to face again I ended up paying for the new compressor wheel because they would not give me my turbo back until this happened. I was not happy. I have read many happy stories of people with these highflows but I personally will not be buying one again.

Here are the pics. That is just my story. Cheers

post-1114-1194870681_thumb.jpg

Edited by operationsideways

you're all blaming the idea of "something has gone through it"

where the hell is it then? The engine is ok, so why didn't it go through the engine and kill it too.

So forget the idea of something going throught.

They are probably stress breaks - the blade that hits the side of the housing gets force all the way back to the center of the wheel busting it in various places. And any bits that would have broken off would have bounced around and entered the compressor in any spot not just get "sucked in". The momentum would have been more than the vacuum and bounced around for a split second.

There is no way something big enough could have gotten through an air filter and done that. The air filter would be busted, the engine would be dead, etc.

i got this funy thought that they wont honour the warranty for some weird reason. cause i spoke to them today and he didnt seem genuinley intersted when i said someone has had a look at it and mentioned its under watrranty. they looked at it unopened ofcourse

Edited by R33GOD

I am no expert like the rest of you obviously,

but to me it would seem that the comp wheel has hit the housing and managed to break off one of the fins,

which having nowhere to go initially would have been bouncing around on the front of the wheel for a microsec or so under suction

on spindown and caused the slight damage on the high points of the comp wheel fins that remained!

I would be interested to know exactly where that offending piece of broken fin is now?

The problem is further back in the CHRA.

so much ppl having problems with slide high flow turbos,

read so many negative feedback about them so i guess its a good thing theyve stopped making them or else more issues will arise.

do the turbos come with warranty from slide?

Hey guys

The turbo's all came with a manufacturer warranty which is still based with the shop on the Gold Coast where we would help make and sell them from.

We have had around 7 highflows fail out of 1376 made.

Warranty is based with Murnane Motors in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast.

There is no longer an involvement by Sliding Performance with highflows due to the simple fact that the man hours requried to turn over that many turbo's even with a 3 week delay was atrocious and all involved decided that family and in one case health was more important.

The engineer would look at this turbo/pull it down and find what the cause of its demise was and will let you know.

:P Jase

Is it possible to see a damaged turbo with the compressor housing removed ? Only problem is that the manufacturer may void any warranty if it is .

From the pics so far the compressors look like 8/16 blade T04B wheels and they use fairly thick section blades . I mention this because if the wheel had a big rub and lost parts of its blades they could smash around in the snout of the housing bouncing off the leading edges of the blades .

If you look at some 8/16 blade T04B wheels the vanes are pretty close together and the exducer tip hight not high like later GT series compressors . What this means is that the escape route for bits of shrapnell is not an easy one so the high speed trips around the inside of the housing could last a bit longer and do more damage .

Many different things can cause a compressor to hit its housing , that GT3082R that R33 Racer sent me looks like it had an oil starvation issue long enough for the turbine end bearing to sieze up and friction weld its collar to the turbine shaft . I reckon the sudden violent decelleration made the shaft whip enough out of alignment to send the compressor blades into their housing . When I pulled it down the shaft was bent like a bannana .

Very high shaft speeds and end thrust loadings are not kind to bush bearings and thrust collars/plates . Super duty use is more likely to be long term reliable with annular contact ball bearings .

I have no idea why those turbos failed but the answer possibly lies with either their bearing system or the shaft loadings at high revs/boost (the turbo that is) .

So as not to be O/T I'm starting new thread for those with experience of Garretts real GT3071R on RB25DET's .

Cheers A .

ok the turbo is now off the car. ive taken pics of the rear wheel. as you can see its still in tact. i turned the shaft and both wheels still turn. still pretty smooth but wobbly. and dont look like nothin went through it...

post-35320-1194945382_thumb.jpg

post-35320-1194945529_thumb.jpg

Well I had better add my story then....

Yesterday at the track my Slide turbo did exactly the same thing. Wouldnt have even done 5,000kms. The car was recently tuned and we had 2 boost guages hooked up, no signs of overboosting. Exiting a corner in 3rd gear then BANG! no positive pressure. Upon inspection the comp wheel blades have actually bent outwards towards the front of the car. Nothing could have gone through the turbo and there is absolutely no end float.

Going to take some pics and send them off with a please explain and see what happens!!

:glare: