SAU Community

300gt Info

CheWiN

G'day Chums, Does anyone know what other cars have the 3000cc vq engines? For example the 350z and the maxima's have the 3500cc engine but im having trouble finding the 3ltr in any other car? If anyones got one and wants to bag or praise it sing out.

cheers

Ben

slow car in auto form. the 3.5 is more fun. had a 300gt in the workshop a few weeks back.

seems to be the slightly povo version - on the electrical side - no boot release on key, plain cloth seats may have a few dealer fitted options ( mirror fold was on this one.) but in all quite plain.

are you looking at the sedan or coupe?

Looking for a sedan. Ive had my fast cars and i'm not looking to go sideways in this one, so power isnt an issue. So long as its got a good sound system i dont care about all the options im missing out on. The real question i'm looking for is the reliability of the engines? from what ive found out the vq3000dd is pretty ace and has won a few awards....

they don't seem to have as much brushed metal in the cabin on the 300GT from what i have seen. also, most that i have seen are cloth interiors.

there's no reason you can't find one with all the options, its just going to be harder

also, i have not heard of the VQ30DD being in any locally delivered cars, it might have been a japan-only engine maybe?

at the end of the day, it still looks awesome, handles awesome, and is super comfy inside.. if you find one you like then go for it!

Edited by WazR32GTSt

I have a 300GT on paper 197KW which is more than the VS clubsports I used to drool over. Plenty power enough to get you in trouble.

300GT same as the 350 GT and the 250 GT you get the plain Janes, the P or the S packs. Appears mine has pretty much the P pack. Leather, Bose Stereo has the do fangy mirrors, yep has a key boot realease (just don't use that key) woodgrain plastic, TV sat Nav so you can see where in Tokyo Bay you are driving, electric seats.

The 350 get other options eg paddle shift with the tiptronic or CVT or the 6 speed manual. The coupes go up to 18inch wheels with Brembos (the latter ones)

The 250GT in poverty pack form is still a nice car

• 1 month later...

We have just received our 300gt p-collection. the p-collection comes decked out in leather and all the other goodies. Ours also has privacy glass....mmmmm . Its a very nice luxury car. Very quiet, comfortable and spacious. It feels very european.

Power is a tough one. Its a very subjective topic. Personally I consider it average. It doesnt have much pick up till about 2500 rpm after that power delivery is pretty good. Its an engine that enjoys to rev though so If your in a hurry keep the rpm up. We found (in a 300gt we demoed) that the 5 speed auto will not change up automatically when its in manual mode. It just hit the rev limiter in first gear until we manualy changed it. In auto mode it can be tricky to keep the car in its power band. The auto seems to be programed to get into 5th gear ASAP. this is nice for fuel economy. It means you are doing 1100rpm at 60km/hr but when you want to acelerate you have to wait for the box to change down two gears (or more) and wait for the rpm to reach 2500-3000 before it really starts to pull.

The car is also very deceptive. Even though it may not feel like you are acelerating quickly it is up to 60km/hr before you know it. To make maters worse there is something about the design that make 60km/hr feel like you are crawling along and when you get into a 40 zone it feels like you could get out and walk. These traits make the car feel slower than it actually is.

I have driven an australian delivered maxima with the 3.5ltr in it and despite it having lower power output than the 300gt it feels a lot quicker. I imagine it has a better tourque curve. Of course in the Maxima that lovely engine is wasted on FWD and a barf worthy interior.

I guess one bonus of the 300gt over the 3.5 is improved fuel economy. So far it looks to be pretty economical. I'll post some real spec in the next week or so.