SAU Community

So i got EPA'd today

Ronin 09

wat bout adjustable silencers? they legal?

silencers have to be welded in. you can buy adjustable ones which can be controlled from inside the cabin and the valve opens and closes hence less/ more noise but you can still get caught and you will still have to change it.

i personally think silencers welded into an exhaust pipe look gay and defeat the purpose of having an aftermarket exhaust in the first place.

ronin09 dont weld one into your exhaust pipe!

maybe look at getting something welded into the exhaust eg another muffler or maybe about 20 resinators ;) maybe we could swap exhausts :D no no swap rear mufflers :) then you wouldnt get any hassels! :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, as akeenan is saying.. any form of "artifical restrictor" is illegal. The test place was telling me all about that. Bullshit but true.

I believe the "restrictor" rule is to precisely stop what we are suggesting, and that is have it silent one minute, noisy the next. Imagine how much trouble you could get up to with that..

oh now i am worried.. haha

i take it off during the weekend and blast around like a hoon and put it back on for nice drives to work during the week....

anyhow, depends on what exhaust, mine goes quite after 3000rpm

Guest RedLineGTR

maybe some cops dont bother with car with a silencer while they are driving and looking for cars to nab..

I have the bolt in silencer, but it lives in the cavity next to the jack. The thing with having the silencer in all the time is you're less likely to attract attention whilst just cruising along; and thus less likely to get sent a notice.

Akeenan, i am SO not welding nothin in my exhaust!!! I have however heard a good trick if you want to quieten up an exhaust for either EPA test or EPA @ Macloud -

Get a piece of 3mm aluminium (offcuts from Capral are perfect, all of about 2 bucks), cut it to the exact size of the flange that joins the cat to the rear section of your exhaust. Drill the holes accordingly, and drill about 3 - 4 1cm diameter holes in the plate, then simply bolt in between the cat and the cat back section. When done, remove. Simple. No welding or cutting, no need to buy an additional muffler... But alas, V-bands mean i can't do this ;)

Oh yeah, i have a complete STOCK exhaust if anyone ever needs it - i am so not putting it on for the noise test though, we'll have to "sort something else out" :wave:

Guest INASNT

hehe welcome to the club ronin.

just chuck your stock exhaust on and take it for the test at the epa station, that way when the epa pases u even if a cop reports u they have to provide evidence not just say they estimate it to loud or some other BS before the epa will call u back.

they have to provide evidence not just say they estimate it to loud

believe you me haha.. you dont have to estimate you know straight away that these systems will be above way above the 90db. these make inarks girlfriends exhaust noise look pathetic. and her car is loud :)

• 1 month later...

I have a friend who just received an EPA notice as well,

He has a GTS-T Mspec (great car). We have both tried to find an exhaust place who will make a silencer, but so far they all say its too hard !! I was thinking of getting one for my car too, save me chasing one in the future.

Does anybody know an exhaust place that has made one or is at least willing to try ??

Klokan: Is it a noise EPA or full EPA at McLeod?

Canadian GTR: slack asses who don't know their stuff.. get them to either replace the resonator or put a silencer in.. daaler exhausts - 500 Station Street, Box Hill should be able to help you (this has been discussed in recent threads to death)

got my first one today....

it is only a noise one and as i only have a HKS cat back i am hoping it will be under...

i am thinking of going to daalder in dandenong....

if any ideas or suggestions please drop a line...

daaler exhausts - 500 Station Street, Box Hill

has anyone tryed there resonator that they claim it will be under 90db

i just got my exhuast system and it is a bit loud in low revs

as i cruise its really not that loud just mainly hums

but when i boot it the exhuast gets very loud

im thinking of going down to daddler exhuast's ( Box Hill ) to buy the resonator and fitting it in myself