SAU Community

Headers Thread

GTS4WD

Hay guys!..

Well santa dropped off my coby extractors that we just got from the group buy!.. :)

I was thinking we could start a thread on how and what we did to install.. and to compair the increase in responce etc.

So feel free guys!.. cos Im off to buy some heat wrap..

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi mate

The worst case scenario is you snap a stud off... no make sure you use some penetrating oil or WD40 or something to help those nuts come easily (from the head job :))

Other than that its pretty easy. Use some hi temp gasket goo to ensure a perfect seal

i just got mine today i bought them off my bros thing gtr.2nv, gts4wd keep us updated on ur heat wrap i think thats the way im goin to go i heard the hpc is to expensive

Edited by peakin34

i just got mine today i bought them off my bros thing gtr.2nv, gts4wd keep us updated on ur heat wrap i think thats the way im goin to go i heard the hpc is to expensive

Well yeah.. thats why I went the ghetto heat wrap approach.. ;)

nice one cris!!

hp coating is exxy. getting mine done cost me almost as much as the headers themselves.

i would suggest some form of heat insulation, as you will not be able to use the standard heat shield.

merry christmas guys and girls

you need a new exhaust gasket seal.. (30)

undo the bolts.. you might need to modify the washers or get new ones from the existing..

bolt the sucker on, and your done? not very hard at all

Mine arent heat wrapped or nothing and they made the car response alot more then stock.

lol.. I know.. I just thought id start a thread where poeple can compair their new headers everyone will be getting from our recent group buy..

Things like.. torque.. powerband.. sound.. etc. etc. Ill be posting pics tomorow sometime when I install mine

Just a refrence thread too for the future..

Hmmm maybe make a video/audio/picture thread?

Organise it by make and model and add tags to whom which car belongs to etc.

And get Eug to sticky it haha, so then we can have less people posting.. 'What does yours sound like?' 'Show me a video of yours' yada yada

got me heat wrap today, my mate told me u have to replace the bolts from the old extractors, anyone know if u have to or not?

No.. yiu dont have to.. but generally on older cars they tend to seize and be quite damaged from the heat from the exhaust..

i think you should be right with a 34 though..

I will post pics of heat wrapped headers tonight/tomorow

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/thermo-tec-ex...x-50-foot-p1328

$70 for a 1inch by 50foot roll of black exhaust wrap

seems to be a good price from what ive seen

NO NO NO!.. 1 inch is FAR too narrow!..

I baught the one inch.. took it home.. looked at the headers and the width of the wrap.. then jumped straight back into the car and swapped it for a 2 inch..

I just wanna save you time and money.. :)

pipe clamps

wrap it at the top a bit, then clamp it tight, then continue to wrap it down the pipe - often a strategic twist means you can come back up another pipe and only have to cut once

i think it also helps to have the wrap a bit damp

on another note i'll be doing this to a set of extractors i managed to get for my excel!!! w00t :(

$120 for old, but unused, anodized mild steel 4-1 extractors....

pipe clamps

wrap it at the top a bit, then clamp it tight, then continue to wrap it down the pipe -

Wrap it around itself so it secures itself down.. so you take the end.. wrap it around the pipe.. then wrap over the same peice so it secures it self down.. just make sure its nice and tight

so its a straight forward task, the tighter you wrap it the better it will stay on.

cant wait for mine!

oh and have you got the flange welded yet? or did you wrap them first then get it welded later?

extractors for the exel, nice!

not sure if its just me but wouldnt the money be better spent if it was going towards a nice shiney skyline of your own?

or perhaps this exel has something up its sleave for the future that will blow our minds :(

extractors for the exel, nice!

not sure if its just me but wouldnt the money be better spent if it was going towards a nice shiney skyline of your own?

or perhaps this exel has something up its sleave for the future that will blow our minds :(

couldnt resist a deal like that....

excel hopefully departs this yr sometime for a 'line

nice one ash! bout time!!!! can't wait to see you in a skyline - what will you be getting might i ask?

the thermal wrapping is markedly cheaper than HPC!! upload some pictures for the rest of us guys.

cheers

eug