SAU Community

Canards!

West

Yeah,

I've been watching BMI for a while now and noticed that most of the hardcore time attack monsters and the Super GT cars in Japan has this thing call CANARDS attached to the side of the front bumper.

I could sort of figured out what they are for but the question is do they REALLY work? If they do why our V8 super cars wouldn't have them on?

post-1327-1199061918_thumb.jpg

*apparently* at highway speeds the front is slightly more stable, but it would depend on the car i guess.

V8 supercars arent exactly the most aerodynamic things to begin with lol.

Edited by s2k12

what are canards designed for? are they for downforce or to direct the airflow around the car more efficiently? if they are for downforce, they would probably work better at high speed (racetrack). also the front bar would have to be more rigid so the downforce didn't just flex it.

my 2 cents.

what are canards designed for? are they for downforce or to direct the airflow around the car more efficiently? if they are for downforce, they would probably work better at high speed (racetrack). also the front bar would have to be more rigid so the downforce didn't just flex it.

my 2 cents.

From Webster Dictionary.

Main Entry: ca·nard

Pronunciation: \kə-ˈnärd also -ˈnär\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, literally, duck; in sense 1, from Middle French vendre des canards à moitié to cheat, literally, to half-sell ducks

Date: 1851

1 a: a false or unfounded report or story; especially : a fabricated report b: a groundless rumor or belief

2: an airplane with horizontal stabilizing and control surfaces in front of supporting surfaces; also : a small airfoil in front of the wing of an aircraft that increases the aircraft's stability

Take your pick. :P

Cheers GW :(

i think its more about directing air than downforce. they just dont have enough area to generate meaningful downforce

LMAO ^^

Edited by VB-

The V8 supercars don't have them because the rules limit the amount of changes they can make from the factory profile of the car (I know, I know, don't shoot the messenger)

What they do have to compensate though, is a very extended lip on the lower leading edge of the front bar that is "supposed" to do the same thing (ie - increase stability on the front end) How much value is in this, when you consider that they don't run the massive tyres and obese amounts of front camber that the BMI and WTCC run, is anyones guess.

supertaxis run 19x11s (or 12s, cant remember) all round... cant really say thats not large...

Ah, no......

They are only allowed to run a 17" rim maximum, with a 305 (10") control tyre.

Not a huge amount of rubber to put 650-700 horses to the ground through 2 tyres....

v8 supercars tech rules (for the non believers)

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/content/attac...ction_c_update/

west

Yeah,

I was bored, watching BMI then i was just wondering if CANARDS really do works? Well all the super GT cars in Japan has them, so are some of the time attack monster overthere ..................so it has to work, even a bit right?

What if V8 supercars has them on? Why wouldn't they?

not trying to be a bastard but is english your first language? sorry for asking . . :blink:

canards used to be fitted to v8 supercars in the early '90s... people might remember them on the seton and johnson falcons. the level of contact in that category might have seen them moved away from if the rules didn't.

they can work if designed and set up to work, i doubt most fitted to road cars have any measurable effect... all most would be good for is extra drag.

From Webster Dictionary.

Main Entry: ca·nard

Pronunciation: \kə-ˈnärd also -ˈnär\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, literally, duck; in sense 1, from Middle French vendre des canards à moitié to cheat, literally, to half-sell ducks

Date: 1851

1 a: a false or unfounded report or story; especially : a fabricated report b: a groundless rumor or belief

2: an airplane with horizontal stabilizing and control surfaces in front of supporting surfaces; also : a small airfoil in front of the wing of an aircraft that increases the aircraft's stability

Take your pick. :D

Cheers GW :(

ha I'll stick with the duck one.

ok so whats the diffrence with the ones on the time atack cars (canardon the frontbumber 1/2 way up)

and the one on JET 200 (off ignition dvd) that has them parallel with the front bumber on the bottom

Its for looks. I doubt you would notice it. High speeds?? 911 Turbo, Veyron, F1 Mclaren...I don't see canards on those.

Diffusers at the rear and flat underbody on the hand will do something for aerodynamics.

Canards are just one of those things that one workshop did (I think it was MCR?) and now everyone has to have it.

Back in the 70's people used to raise the bonnet up at the back maybe a couple of cms because someone thought it would be a good idea for heat extraction. It actually did the opposite because of the low pressure zone around the windscreen sucked air into the engine bay and kept the engine nicely insulated with its own heat. They finally realised and changed the design slightly e.g A9X Torana, rear facing sealed hood scoop = oldschool CAI.

/end rant

ok so whats the diffrence with the ones on the time atack cars (canardon the frontbumber 1/2 way up)

and the one on JET 200 (off ignition dvd) that has them parallel with the front bumber on the bottom

no doubt both cars spent plenty of time in the wind tunnel testing alternative designs