SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

I should consider myself lucky, then, as my gym has about 10 ABC bars and 3-4 IronEdge Economy bars. The IronEdge are newer bars and the bearings seem to be more freespinning, but I still prefer the ABCs. Neither has ever seen a bend, though to be fair, I haven't seen anyone deadlift more than around 250 at my gym. Half of our gym is dedicated to free weights, the other half is Nautilus and crossfit.

Not bad for a Genesis! I think it helps that it was an existing gym before Genesis bought it out. But to be fair, our latest gym manager is an ex sprinter / lifter and we've had some good strength training upgrades since. We now have a chalk bowl, which was his response to people leaving blocks of chalk everywhere, instead of just banning chalk or warning the members using it. We also have almost monthly lifting comps.

Cheap Chinese bars bend with 200kg. I was given 5-6 of them for free, all gone.

Our squat bars are good for 600kg, 35mm diameter, made in Finland, $1000

Our Eleiko bars are the best in the world, have 3 of them, $2000 each

Our deadlift bars can handle anything anyone can deadlift, the biggest dead of all was done on a Texas bar, we have 4 at $1000 each

Best local bar is ABC, hands down, cost $600, we have a dozen of them.

In the 6 years we have been open we have not bent a bar I bought, only the $180 Chinese bars I was given, hence why they are now at 2 local football clubs

Very few commercial gyms will even buy ABC bars, just Chinese ones

Your mate should go to Musclepit or PTC Leesh, they encourage 1RM's

I suggested PTC; a bit of a drive (2hrs) for him every night unfortunately... :(

Your gym sounds pretty good Birds

I reckon it is. Minor things annoy me but rarely will a gym be perfect for what you want and by the sounds of it I have things better than most.

For the first time lastnight, I had someone approach me about my deadlift form. He's a membership consultant there and he approached me saying "I...I gotta say something man", shaking his head a bit. I said "What?". He says "You're going to end up injuring yourself, your back is arching when you deadlift." I was doing 170kg for reps, so I explained to him that when you're pushing close to your max effort, form will never be perfect. He says "So you don't think form is important?". I reply "No, don't put words in my mouth; form is very important, but if your form is absolutely 100% when lifting with maximum exertion, it likely is not your max effort. I've never had an injury from deadlifts and I could show you an 82kg lifter who can pull 290kg without injury and his form won't be "perfect". I appreciate your concern, but I disagree with your logic". He said "Alright, I'll leave it be, but..." and laughed to himself.

Next minute he's doing some cable exercise and I hear him complaining to his training partner about his back hurting..,wtf? Should have told him to lift the 170kg I doubt he could have even done one of them lol

I've been using beta-alanine/taurine/creatine daily for a few weeks now prior to training. Is this safe to use daily, or should I stop taking it for a month then go back on it? I've tried looking it up and bodybuilding.com said 'a 4-9 week on/off cycle should allow you to consistently reap the performance benefits of beta-alanine' but I don't really understand what that means. I take it for 4 to 9 weeks then I go off it for 4 to 9 weeks?

I did some strongman training with a mate who does that / powerlifting on the weekend - the whole tyre flipping, keg pressing, stone moving sled pulling type routine. it was good fun apart from showing up a lack of conditioning on my part!

Also managed to do a PB of 170x2 deadlifts during the same session! It helped a lot being shown how to position my feet properly and keeping my arms closer in to my body.

as if not have hyphy mud as a pre trainer!

I reckon it is. Minor things annoy me but rarely will a gym be perfect for what you want and by the sounds of it I have things better than most.

For the first time lastnight, I had someone approach me about my deadlift form. He's a membership consultant there and he approached me saying "I...I gotta say something man", shaking his head a bit. I said "What?". He says "You're going to end up injuring yourself, your back is arching when you deadlift." I was doing 170kg for reps, so I explained to him that when you're pushing close to your max effort, form will never be perfect. He says "So you don't think form is important?". I reply "No, don't put words in my mouth; form is very important, but if your form is absolutely 100% when lifting with maximum exertion, it likely is not your max effort. I've never had an injury from deadlifts and I could show you an 82kg lifter who can pull 290kg without injury and his form won't be "perfect". I appreciate your concern, but I disagree with your logic". He said "Alright, I'll leave it be, but..." and laughed to himself.

Next minute he's doing some cable exercise and I hear him complaining to his training partner about his back hurting..,wtf? Should have told him to lift the 170kg I doubt he could have even done one of them lol

I'm assuming if you're doing 170 for reps then it's not really close to your max effort. Maybe that was his point?

Either way, people need to learn to stfu and pull their heads in.

I don't want to get in the way of you 2 love birds but i just take it after a workout. Seems to help with fatigued

We're not lovebirds.

I was told to take it 30 minutes before training.

My question which apparently I need to rephrase is: do I need to cycle off the supplements at all or are they safe to consume every time I train? (3x a week)

My understanding is beta alanine and taurine would be fine to use at that frequency indefinitely. REAL stimulants such as caffeine/DMAE/DMAA/clen/ephedrine etc etc do need to be cycled, due to your body building a tolerance to them as well as the fact they aren't really doing your body all that much good.

This is broscience mind you.

Same deal.

My justification is that all 3 of these things are already present in the human body (not to mention you'd be getting them from just eating normal food). Creatine would be even more fine for you to use, since you're not getting any in through red meat etc as the rest of us would be.

Same deal.

My justification is that all 3 of these things are already present in the human body (not to mention you'd be getting them from just eating normal food). Creatine would be even more fine for you to use, since you're not getting any in through red meat etc as the rest of us would be.

This is the reason I'm taking creatine, same as beta-alanine:

Vegetarians do not derive beta alanine from their diet. Muscle carnosine concentrations are significantly lower in vegetarians than in muscles of people who consume meat.

I have done research into these supplements and there is a reason why I am taking them. I'm just struggling to find information about cycling on and off these supplements; however due to your comments Troy I will continue to use them 3 times a week.