SAU Community

Thermo Fans

stagpower

ok guys i couldnt figure out which one was better,thermo's were up a point and then another post bought em back down and so fourth......so i changed the fan with the same type(well r33) and thermostat/bled system etc,maybe thermos down the track though,my next cooling upgrade will just be ali rad.....thanks for all the posts

SHAYNO

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update on this - I installed a new alternator using the helpful alternator guide on these forums, and removed one of the SPAL fans, and replaced it with a lower rated (and less amp drawage) thermo from Repco. My RB25 180Sx is still giving me 80 degrees water temp and the alternator is running at 14.1 at startup and goes to 13.8 with the fans on.

Due to this I now have the SPAL fan I removed for sale if anyone is having cooling problems (check my signature), this fan with a regular/slimline pusher should fix your overheating problems.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

a warning for all:

as part of the fan controller setup i had to run the temp up to around 90 degrees (measured on the ECU coolant sensor), but i noticed the dash temp gauge (which uses a different sensor, single spade wire) had not moved past normal, around 80 degrees. So no matter how hot I ran it, the gauge wouldnt move past normal, little bit dangerous. Took sensor out and confirmed it with a bench test, in boiling water, resistance still showed ~80 degrees. Something that most people wouldnt think of replacing.

Im in Adelaide - dry heat.

Why would I need a thermo fan setup, over a larger Radiator?

radiator busted prexmas, got a (25-33%) larger Koyo item with an APC 1.3bar pressure cap

temps are down by 1 to 2 bars on the dash guage, sits a smidgen above halfway

Ive had the radiator boiling (water pump issue, now replaced, again) after some heated midnight Hills runs

My first Stagea was a non turbo neo engine - got really hot on a hot day with the airconditioner running. Replaced the stock 16mm radiator with a new 25mm for NZ$300 incl labour and no more overheating problems.