SAU Community

Thermo Fans

stagpower

hey guyz and girls just wondering if anyone has put thermos on there stag,looked in forums but the thread had not much info,just wondering what size you used and what you plug where the original fan mounts,(use original bolts) or is it holding pulley on? thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are studs on the water pump, the fan pulley sits on them and normally the fan on top of that. just leave the fan off and put the nuts on the fan pulley.

not sure re thermos on the stagea, presumably the same as an r33 gtst.

Why do you want to go thermos?

Just make sure it does its job because from memory I think I read on here there is a reason why skylines have a crank-driven fan. Its not like nissan dont know how to do thermo fans, there are earlier nissans with thermo fans.

Pretty sure they will work, but I think you need to be careful with the thermostat setup to make sure it comes on earlier than with some other cars...

Its worth noting that even with the fan going non-stop, the stageas and skylines dont run cold...

Disclaimer - I'm only going from memory of some stuff i read on other threads on here about thermo fans...so dont take this as gospel :)

Edited by pixel8r

....... take this as gospel :)

rob1.jpg

Oh, wait.........

:thumbsup:

Srsly, I was considering this very closely, as you have to remember that the stagea was never designed for an australian summer. I think the best way to look into this would be to wander through a (preferably nissan based) wrecking yard and see what is about. Maybe something like the twin fan setup from a maxima would suit? Anything that takes a load of the crankshaft can only be a good thing IMO.

thanks for replies,yeah i want to go thermo as my fan has packed up and one less thing for the engine to turn is a good thing i spose,also anythin to try and cool her down a little more,half temp running temp....(hope its not just mine) i am probably going with twin 10'' or 12'',going to have it set up to come on just under half temp and have separate switch for when i feel like it,let you know how i go yeah??

just yours mate, mine has been the same as any other skyline I've had - perfect temps even on hot days with aircon and towing 2t trailer.

I'd fix the fan, replace the radiator and thermostat if I were you - you might be heading for more trouble not less if you go thermos. In particular they don't work too well without the fan shroud back on, which restricts you to one big thermo not the more common 2 little ones, unless you can make or fit another shroud.

Radiator is dirt cheap about 220 from UAS or Just Jap for a biggie.

going to go with a ford el-au twin thermo modified to suit(shroud i mean),with a ali (drift spec) rad and maybe no thermostat at all,dont need em in ozzy conditions,.....any thoughts...

yeah, but you ignored me last time too :P You should always run a thermostat, all it does is make sure your engine's minimum temp is managed. You don't want it running around on the cold start maps (rich) longer than it needs to, and motor should be run warm not cold anyway.

G`DAY LAD`S,some of you need to READ,& TAKE INFO IN :happy: SORRY FOR BEING BLUNT BUT REALY.as with regard to 18in fan you will need some big alternator to keep that running,you will need to upgrade any way with thermo`s so don`t forget that at least 85amp as we all have clutch fan.sorry to say that the 16in fan are rubbish you will need more air flow than it will supply so don`t waste your $$$ .IF YOU WILL LISTEN NISSAN MAXIMA :) ,Have twin thermo set up same size rad as most nissan`s just different tank`s so that should help you all out,you will need to make some mod with air con pipe`s etc,one other to look at is the ford mondao top fan set up that will do a great job i had a set on my vc dunniedoor in traffic run 20 sec & off so i do rate them,not a cheap option but you will be happy with them,smaller than el set up & pushes more air.thermostat is a must hi flow would be best but a must you would be STUPID to not have one in :cheers: . YOU MUST UP GRADE ALTERNATOR AT LEAST 85 AMP`S. cheer`s chuckie.

I noticed shopping around the 16inch fans blades seem too thin, overall build seems weak, normally also rated 15-30amps.

I hoping to find 18inch as it will most likely move the same amount or more air without needing to spin as fast as a 16inch,

it should fit within the fan shroud nicely and move air efficiently. Hoping better build quality too.

Have one on the front of the radiator also and set them up in push/pull fashion.

Might start searching around truck wreckers.

Alternator not too big an issue for most im guessing as part of normal upgrade, with all the existing electrics + your own stereo/amp, headlights at night + thermo fans i'd be thinking closer 100-120amp alternator to be safe and still charge the

battery.

On a side note, has anyone put a 7-10inch fan on the standard intercooler in the front left gard?

Make a difference? Anyone think it would make a difference?

WELL LET`S SAY That a 18in fan WILL NOT(WILL NOT) PULL ANYWHERE NEAR THE AIR THAT TWIN`S WILL.you will find that twin`s will shift alot more than you think,i had 16in on my DD & it struggled to keep it cool.Do you understand that big is not allway`s the best.With the 15 to 30 amp running it will take some 40amp`s on start up.I have a 120 amp alternator on my DD,The cost will shock most people $350 may be more for 120 amp alternator,That if you can find one the same other wise it a special job,Then you have to make sure that it is that rating,But i did say at least 85amp no smaller.IF you go to wrecker`s & look at most thermo setup`s they run small fan`s not BIG.I think you that you will find that most truck`s run clutch fan`s,I dont think i have ever seen 18in eletric fan on truck`s,I WILL POST SOME PHOTO`S UP WHEN I DO MY THERMO SETUP.TRY WATER SPRAY ON INTERCOOLER,I think that you will need temp sender`s +thermo switches with that setup so is that cost wise worth that ????????GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH DUDE.CHEER`S chuckie

davies craig claim the following...

12" fans use a MAX of 10.0A @ 12v, and produce 350L/sec @ 40Pa

16" fans use a MAX of 19.0A @ 12v, and produce 850L/sec @ 40Pa

therefore twin 12" can use 1.0A more, but produce 150L/sec LESS....

i had twin 12" on my skyline (it seemed more sensible to spread out the air flow over the radiator) along with some amps, and never had a problem with the alternator.

my legnum also has twin thermo's and amps, and a 90A alternator with no problems.

. thermos are a good thing if you go to an auto electric wholesaler r industrial supplies store you will find that there is a hole diffrent arange of thermo fans that supply every situation. i picked out to 12' britax thermo's for my stag they are pushing 3000cfm together. my auto electrician said that these will be fine for air flow and longagevity and it won't put any extra strain on the alternator. (will have to find out how much amps they pull i forgoten). the reason nissan whould'nt of put thermos on new is they cost more, take longer to install hence them losing money and they probly decided the rb25/26DET whouldn't really notice the power loss, the reason the maxima got thermo's is the engine sits the wrong way. if you want to put thermo's on they are a good thing they are relible and they do give you more power as it has less drain on the motor.

. thermostat go buy a new one DO NOT take it out with out replacing it you can get diffrent tempreture rating ones for when it open's. as our climate changes so much chose the one for your area. though being australia don't buy the snow one it will be rated at approx 92Deg C which will make your car run warmer than most, if you bought a car set up for snow driving this will likely to be the one that you have. go get a standard one 84Deg C . or if you live in north queensland N.T or north W.A buy the hot weather one 78Deg C

hope this helps people out and makes you reaserch things before buying. :)

I don't get it. Nissan ran termos on the maxima because they had to (engine in wrong way). They ran belt fan on the stagea because it was their choice - they could have put thermos on if they wanted to. Obviously some of you guys know more than Nissan's engineers.

Secondly - how are electric fans more reliable? They have wiring going in and electric motors (2 common causes of failure) and you won't get any warning if they fail. belt fan on the other hand the only point of failure is the belt itself, which costs about $5 to replace in regular maintenance.

I don't get it. Nissan ran termos on the maxima because they had to (engine in wrong way). They ran belt fan on the stagea because it was their choice - they could have put thermos on if they wanted to. Obviously some of you guys know more than Nissan's engineers.

Secondly - how are electric fans more reliable? They have wiring going in and electric motors (2 common causes of failure) and you won't get any warning if they fail. belt fan on the other hand the only point of failure is the belt itself, which costs about $5 to replace in regular maintenance.

whilst i mostly agree with you here, I think people underestimate car electrics a lot. If electronics was so unreliable, your car would break down every other week. Just about everything you touch when driving a car is linked to some electronic component somewhere these days, and yet most of these will outlast the car. Obviously a belt-driven fan is less likely to fail (in theory), but that doesn't mean thermos are any less reliable. Plenty of cars have them. Just a matter of making sure you do the homework and choose the correct setup. :)

Im in Adelaide - dry heat.

Why would I need a thermo fan setup, over a larger Radiator?

radiator busted prexmas, got a (25-33%) larger Koyo item with an APC 1.3bar pressure cap

temps are down by 1 to 2 bars on the dash guage, sits a smidgen above halfway

Ive had the radiator boiling (water pump issue, now replaced, again) after some heated midnight Hills runs