SAU Community

Cold Air intake...

Guest Boxhead

Guest Boxhead

ok Guys just thought i would post somethings on what pete smith and i did to my motor vehicle.. thats right we put a cold air intake on it...

basically made it from PVC piping.. when teh car is started you can actually feel the intake sucking in the air..this is with a stock airbox, with a no name air filter...

as you can see in this pic a hole has been cut in teh bottom of the airbox and with 90mm has been joined and flows down through the metal. which was cut to fit.

Guest Boxhead

this pic if of just inside below where airbox sits, and shows the piping used, i put it in then found some black spray paint, so just quickly went over it.. not looking for a professional finish, also the rope is there for same reason, temp fix till i fins something better...

Guest Boxhead

and this is from the front, the intake next to the fog light.. since this pic, i have flared the end of the pipe, its done just with a lighter heating it.. so it flezes very nice, and then just use anything to hold it for a minute or 2 and bingo.. i will make it fit better when i get the front bar off to fit the mesh, to protect from anything getting in there.... i will have another pic soon when the mesh is on

u used PVC piping?

ive heard that this is bad for the car, because after a while when it gets too hot some of the fumes go into the engine

im not 100% certain but i think thats why most people use some sort of metal instead of plastic.

Guest Boxhead

but the piping cant get that hot, coz its not touching any of teh engine really when you think about it.. ohwell..

Has any1 done this to an R33???

It's harder on the 33 b/c the air goes from top of filter to bottom instead of bottom to top! It would be a real prick to get a pipe on that unless you redesign the lid of the airbox!

any1???

Zahos

my bro-inlaw is getting his brother to make me a stainless steal one that goes from where it needs to be connected on the engine, right down to the bottom of my front bar (i have a 400r replica bar so near the bottom is a meshed spot where air is just taken in nicely)

its a lot better if its near the front bar because its pretty useless if its a ram intake and sucks all the air in from within the engine bay as the air will be hot. a cold air intake should be set close to the front so it sucks in cold air

Guest | hype^ |

i was thinking about doin this but there aint no way i am gonna trust myself to cut a whole in any metal part of my car or any non metalic part for that matter :P

so im just gonna keep the standard air intake and build a air box around it..

ZAHOS!!!

Dude, someone has done one on a R33 and he documented everything he did, word for word, step by step and with pics and posted it.

I can't find the thread.

I'll keep looking but you should do a search as well.

It was a really good document.

| hype ^ | I'm following this path with my R33 at the moment but am using a GTR intake instead of the stock one , it flows about 2 to 3 times as much air. I've diced the standard air box all together and am using a pod filter and fitting the intake into the top of the new cold air box which is basicly a partition to close it off from the engine bay and a lid which the intake fits into. You get quite a lot of air in around the headlight too and a ram tube down to the front bar is not needed..... at least not until you get up around 600 700Kwts. I'll post a couple of pics in this thread tomorrow of the cardboard one i'm using at the moment. Also I'm using an EMS computer so have diced the air flow meter as well.

Tropo: thanks for that, but still not what I'm looking for. That is a cold air box for a pod filter, I wanted to make a cold air feed for the standard air box.

Meggala: I had a look on your site, but couldn't find anything... Anyhow, its a easier for the R32, b/c the air passes from bottom to top, so you could easily cut a hole in the bottom section to put another pipe in. The R33 is top to bottom, and there isn't much room on the airbox lid to slap another pipe in...

Thanks anyway guys :)

GTST: Did you manage to find the link, or was it the same as the link that troppo posted?

Zahos