SAU Community

P Plate Laws For Engine Modification?

I've been driving on my P's in NSW for the 2.5 years now. Every car I've had (including a turbo one for a very brief period of time) has had engine modifications. I've had a Onevia, a Silvia, and my current car is a E30 BMW.

I've never even had the bonnet popped, and believe me, the Onevia was incredibly ghetto for a period of time.

Just do it.

Good NA mods can't be seen with the naked eye.

Compression ratio

3L

Cams

Port and polish etc. etc.

Do it at yoru own risk though..

But I must say.. never had the bonnet popped either.

I've been driving on my P's in NSW for the 2.5 years now. Every car I've had (including a turbo one for a very brief period of time) has had engine modifications. I've had a Onevia, a Silvia, and my current car is a E30 BMW.

I've never even had the bonnet popped, and believe me, the Onevia was incredibly ghetto for a period of time.

Just do it.

lolol i thought it was you pete..

ive only been pulled over once at a RBT in the skyline..

my sil i was pulled over a few times and defected once.. it had wide guards, driftteks, it was lowered and loud..

from one nonturbo p plater to another i say...do the mods. ive had my sil (a very loud one at that) and have been pulled over about 5 times so far and the only thing they checked was tyres- never opend my bonnet. but all i have is a full exhaust and blitz pod filter which is not enclosed. if i had the money i would go for it. relocate the new ecu and keep the stock one there with the wiring leading to nowhere. the only main issue i would be worried about is cams.

g'luck

if u get a direct replacement ecu, it will sit in the same spot so no need to relocate it etc.. most of the times if they look into the cabin, they look on the pillars for gauges etc..

What difference does the fact that it's imported make?

cops target imports more then other modded cars.. unless theyre rediciously over done.. 20" chromies, flash paint job, decked, full hectic sound system etc in something like a lance

Edited by dori32

i dont know about any other state but i know in NSW anything that requires and engineers certificate is illegal for P platers, which is kinda stupid as any modification to a car needs to be engineered, even putting in an alarm, cops dont seem 2 anal about it which is good

anyways with my lumpy cam i just drive like the car is having issues when a cop is behind me a min or so later they usually piss off

in short do suttle or hiden things and always play dumb like u know nuthing about cars and its how it was when u bought it

• 2 weeks later...

i got done last night by the cops for my wheels and exhaust...anyone got a stock exhaust they wanna sell for a r34 2door i need it like asap and in the sydney area

• 2 weeks later...

what about just changing the piping and colours of the bay to give it a showcar feel. as well as changing suspension and stuff anything like that illegal?

This is where the line gets blurred. The government bans all performance modifications.

Now what does this mean?.. buggered if anyone knows. Lightened wheels can help performance.. but so do bigger brakes..

Bear in mind.. your averge joe cop is not know the diffrence between his you know what hole and his ear hole when it comes to "performance parts" and what that entales..

honestley.. mod away and hope for the best..

• 1 year later...

Ey man i got Red P's have a n/a r34 gt, and have been randomly pulled over bout 8 times in 6 months. i was pulled over this morning on the way to work and was asked to open the hood.

i thought f**k lol. I have a chrome-painted pod filter that is mounted low but not wat i'd call hidden,

everything else is stock, no exhaust or bodywork even. i have both p plate clearly visible, good tyres and just an overall clean/quiet car. and the cop looked at the engine for about 10secs and let me go.

i seriously dont think many of them know (or are taught) wat to look for, as the focus is on alcho and actuall bad drving. If u don't hoon around alot and u have a clean and quiet car with no damage or silly things like decals and a million look at me, self-altered interior mods, and u treat the cops with respect and such... they probaly figure its a safe car and will let u go. they have better things to do. just dont be silly bout it.

heathy,