SAU Community

Hr31 Rear End In2 Dr30?

tir31

WHY???????

+1

There would be no advantage to putting an HR31 setup into a DR30 apart from the half shafts are thicker thats about it....

Stick with the DR rear end and upgrade half shafts if your worried about breakage!

im fiting 4piston front brakes and have the matching twin piston rears which cant be fitted in replace of the r30's because the handbrake also uses the caliper where as the hr31 has the inner drum handbrake like the r33 which the twin spots r off.

thats my reason

jon.

Im runnin R32 skyline 4 spots on the front of mine with the standard rear calipers and it stops just fine :thumbsup: About to upgrade to a R32 master as well and then it'll be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

yeah sweet, ive got the r33 4piston fronts, twin rears and r33 master cylinder 2go on. ive got 4piston fronts on my ti with standard rears but would realy like the whole setup on the dr30. im picking up a rb25 gearbox on monday for the dr so should be a solid car once all 2getha :D

jon.

Provided your car has the std DR30 rear disc rotors and calipers with the larger pistons I reckon there's little if anything to be gained here . More likely you'll alter rear geometry designed to be in the back of a DR30 .

I'm pretty sure the rails are wider in an R31 and the rear A arm height on the cross member is different .

IMO if you must use the R31 rear brakes/back plates/E brake graft those onto R30 rear arms .

I think this is more trouble than its worth and will create more problems than it solves . DR30 rear brakes work fine and if they aren't broke .....

I always thought hr31 rear ends were adjustable. Not too sure about dr but this could be a reason to swap over if you had a hr31 crossmember and didn't want to stuff around doing the adjustability bits yourself.

Your call but I think there are much easier ways to get those R30 semi trailing arm rear ends as good as they're going to be .

If you muck around with ride heights you'll find a sweet spot where camber and caster are acceptable .

If you want it to handle then you need to fit large enough anti roll bars to minimise body roll and geometry change .

Being a RWD car large rear bars should make the front turn in better depending on how well its set up camber/caster wise .

The sad fact of life is that the greater the arc those arms move in the more the camber/caster is going to change , if you can limit the travel via higher rate bars (increased roll stiffness) the geometry change will be less .

All your going to achieve with expensive adjustable bits is in theory neutral camber and caster at one set point , as soon as the arms rise or fall its changed both anyway .

Semi trailing arm is a legacy of wanting IRS on the cheap , independant yes but geometric excellence no .

In an R30 you are stuck with this and mac struts and drag link steering . When I had my DR30 I hated hearing how and why R32's and later can run rings around R30/31's handling wise . I think the term used to me was quantam leap .

• 2 months later...

figured i'd bump up this thread as my question is related

my project has been a hr31 passage gt which for various reasons can't be completed

i've bought a new mechanical centre, done five stud conversion and upgraded the brakes

i've been offered a dr30 sedan and while i know the entire rear cradle can be dropped in allowing me to use my 5 stud rear end with the upgraded brakes etc

i'm wondering if the hr31 struts will fit as well?

if not i'll need to get the 5 stud done on the front which means more money

any help would be much appreciated

"The major advantage of the hr31 rear end is the extremely large number of diffs you now have to choose from".

What do you have in diffs from an HR31 that doesn't fit in DR/MR/HR30?????

Please tell me oh so learned one???????

Replacement half shafts are easier to source, and the HR31 4.3 is alot better with bigger power.

Also R31 house make a adjustable rear lower arms.

Edited by masTers

I put a hr31 rear end into my dr was a handy way to go to a 4.3 to get her laggy ass moving with a large turbo, that and I had a mechanical aftermarket diff and a pile of spare hr31 axles

I think this is going to fall on deaf ears but anyway .

The rear calipers on R32/33 GTST are nothing famous , the pad area looks to be line ball and the caliper pistons look real small . Skylines tend to be front heavy cars and the more powerful 4WD versions (GTR) even more so . Front heavy cars need to have reasonably sized front brakes and not a lot of rear bias otherwise between front pork and weight transfer they lock the rears swap ends and kill people .

I suspect some want the spoofy looking rear calipers for eye candy which is silly because those in the know won't be impressed anyway , and who's interested in impressing the wood ducks ?

I think someone else mentioned that it would be far less work to graft the R31 backing plates with their internal drum park brake mechanism's to R30/DR30 semi trailing arms - makes more sense if its doable .

I would also speak to Stu Wilkins of SWR because if they can get most combinations of R32/33/34 GTST/GTR bakes into early Z's and 16's legally , R30/31's should be straightforward . They have also found ways of getting R32GTST rear half shafts into Z's (240/260Z's) with R200 diff's and they say these (halfshafts + CV's) are relatively speaking ginormous compared to ANYTHING R30/31 .

Your calls , cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

"Replacement half shafts are easier to source, and the HR31 4.3 is alot better with bigger power".

Let's see now. HR31's came out with a long nose mechanical R200 & so did the HR/DR30 and both are interchangeable, so why do a complete rear end swap and Z31 half shafts are the best of the best and they're relatively easy to get, unless just trying to impress a few wood ducks??????????

"Also R31 house make a adjustable rear lower arms".

Have you enquired into how much this would cost landed in Australia & if you wanted to go racing with this adjustable rear, which class you would be put into? My guess it would put you in SPORTS SEDANS with every known beast available. SWR do adjustable rear trailing arms for about $800.00, but you use them, you become a sports sedan because he uses rose joints in the conversion.

"I put a hr31 rear end into my dr was a handy way to go to a 4.3 to get her laggy ass moving with a large turbo, that and I had a mechanical aftermarket diff and a pile of spare hr31 axles".

As before, just need to change the diff & KAAZ LSD's are easy to get, in any ratio for about $1500.00. MrMayhem, your credibility on this forum is a fair bit south of zero IMHO because some time back, you shot your mouth off about having a front strut brace FOR SALE, yet when 3 of us sent you messages you went underground and didn't return ANY of the messages sent. Personally I think you're full of sh!t.

Cheers, D

You're obviously a mature individual with rational thinking being able to fall back to relevant facts and technical reference.....

My credability with you is very important to me as I respect all internet heros and wish to appear cool on forums .......................with my cool dr tower bar

Now I'll leave you to get back to getting angry over this very important issue of yours

lol well done Ghostrider

MrMayhem would have forgotten more about nissans than you'll ever know, the fact that he's owned and modified more than i care to remember means i listen very carefully when he offers his advice

personally i went the hr31 rear end because as mentioned before, i already have a brand new mechanical lsd to suit the hr31 rear end, as well as the 5 stud conversion and brakes

why the f**k would i go to all the trouble of getting the same done to a dr30 rear end when i can just unbolt the 31 stuff and bolt it into the dr30?