SAU Community

Doing Up A Stock R33 Gtst

sumguy

Hi all, I have a 1997 r33 GTST, I have had it for a year now its all stock. I have only put in a turbo timer, installed a indash dvd player, front splits + back and amp. Wondering what things i should change/mod to do? I was thinking about buying rims + wheels, its currently got the stock 16" Nissan RIMS but not sure what type/size or the cost of good rims would be??

A friend has suggested an exhaust.

Anyone else have any suggestions? OR should I just keep it as is, stock??

Edited by sumguy

If you want performace i would go

Pod filter

Exhaust turbo back

Intercooler

Fuel pump

Spltfire coil packs if needed (if oem ones play up may be able to tape or glue them for awhile)

Bleed valve

Injectors & AFM (Air Flow Metre) If these are needed with the power your chasing

Turbo

Computer

Clutch damm clutches i made the mistake of getin one earlier in the process and then got more power then my clutch was rated at :(

Looks wise

Tinted windows

Rims

Bodykit to suit the width of your rims

Then lower it i say this so you know how much height your kit will need to clear the ground / speed bumps i also had to lower my exhaust to fit the kit

Thats a good start i reakon how far do you wana go with the car? Just a warning once you start modding most people cant stop it gets very addictive and you end up spending alot more money then you initially intend haha.

Forgot to mention good size alot of people go with rims on 33's are 235 wide on front and 255 wide on rear but you also wana get a rim that has the rite offset (how far a rim sits in or out from the gaurd) i cant help ya much their but a tyre/rim place should put you on the rite track

The first thing I did was fit an exhaust...

Then I lowered it

Tinted the Windows

Bought wheels

Finished rest of exhaust (cat + dump)

Then FMIC boost controller + Power FC

Brake upgrade

Then Engine RB30 convesrsion haha.

By the sounds of things you dont want to modify the car for performance since you've already spent money on things like a DVD player and amp. So my suggestion would probably be to start with lowering and wheels... 8.5" front with a +30 offset and 9.5" rear with a +35 offset would be nice and agressive. Anything lower than that would be pretty hard to fit under stock GTST guards...

Edited by MintR33

I bought a stockish s1 33. It only had a aftermarket head unit, cat back exhaust and crappy rear speakers which werent mounted.

In order I've done:

- apexi pod

- 6x9's in the rear shelf

- drift bov

- cheapy boost guage

- the $22 boost controller (works a bloody charm!!)

- silicon hoses

- tyres! I've replaced all tyres and I only bought it a month ago.

Next things Im considering (in no particular order):

- FMIC

- dump and front pipe

- hi-flow cat

- body kit

- 18" wheels

Unfortunately I need to stick to cheap mods so the bottom 2 will have to wait. I'd appreciate any suggestions as well, without hi-jacking :P

Dont bother with an intercooler until you plan on running more boost... It won't do anything except slightly increase turbo lag. I wouldnt even bother with a pod filter either.

Edited by MintR33

If you want performace i would go

Pod filter

Exhaust turbo back

Intercooler

Fuel pump

Spltfire coil packs if needed (if oem ones play up may be able to tape or glue them for awhile)

Bleed valve

Injectors & AFM (Air Flow Metre) If these are needed with the power your chasing

Turbo

Computer

Clutch damm clutches i made the mistake of getin one earlier in the process and then got more power then my clutch was rated at

This is really good advice iLec, i was looking for something like this that shows a sensible order of power mods.

what are the brands i should look at for exhausts? How much will they cost including installation?? Any pics around I can see it? I want mods/changes to the car especially for looks rather than power.

Ad you guys mentioned intercooler, this car has already got a stock intercooler, I'd rather not spend anymore money if its already got one fitted.

Just got my car serviced few days ago, also replaced fuel filter and air filter so those don't need replacing

Edited by sumguy

Dont bother with an intercooler until you plan on running more boost... It won't do anything except slightly increase turbo lag. I wouldnt even bother with a pod filter either.

I put intercooler cuz its good to get those "support mods" before you go all out with another turbo, power fc yada yada yada when my intercooler was installed i noticed lower temps specially on hot days and there was very minimal lag and that was with a hybrid intercooler. That just my experiece though.

I put intercooler cuz its good to get those "support mods" before you go all out with another turbo, power fc yada yada yada when my intercooler was installed i noticed lower temps specially on hot days and there was very minimal lag and that was with a hybrid intercooler. That just my experiece though.

+1

my R34 already had a hks pod,

I did exhaust, then intercooler first. If anything the turbo boosted harder due to the exhaust and the i/c kept temps low and overall drivability was better.

Then I did Boost controller and Power FC and nismo fuel pump.

As this is in the cosmetic section,

The first thing I'd do looks wise is a good set of 18" rims with decent tyre and offset.

Then a bodykit to flow with the overall look of the car

what are the brands i should look at for exhausts? How much will they cost including installation?? Any pics around I can see it? I want mods/changes to the car especially for looks rather than power.

Ad you guys mentioned intercooler, this car has already got a stock intercooler, I'd rather not spend anymore money if its already got one fitted.

Just got my car serviced few days ago, also replaced fuel filter and air filter so those don't need replacing

hey mate, where u located?

i have a 3" cat back exhuast with cannon and 5" tip im wanting to sell....used for 2 days.....full stainless steel....polished and all....looks schmick! awesome note aswell.....im selling for less than half of what they retail for new....

if ur interested....let me know...either pm me or something....can organise something....if ur kinda local..or not too far from me....let me know!

Good day mate^^, I'm pretty much a car dummy ~_~.. Let me describe my beloved car a bit. I have a R33 Gts-t series 2, what has been modified was Pod filter (I was using Apexi filter and had it changed to 3A racing pod filter when I read the magazine that 3A racing pod filter was rated 1st in flow and 2nd in filtration among the top 10 brands), Kakkimoto Cat back exhaust (which look pretty old and not sure if I need to change for a new one), R34 rims.

What happen is whenever I push down the gas when I shift to 1st gear, the car sort of lagging for a few seconds as in you feel the car does not really move, I'm not sure if I can describe this as "turbo lag" or would you mind to describe "turbo lag" a fair bit? Does all turbocharged car has the same problem? My friend recommended me to get a boost controller but I don't really know if I really need one.

By reading some of the thread posted by other mates, I don't know what are the correct order if I need to do some modification on my car. I know ECU, fuel pump, FMIC, exhaust system are equally important but which one should come first with minimal budget. Apparently I can't fork out a few grand now have them all changed but I hope to do bit by bit. Umm, let's say now I have a FMIC installed on my car and will it make any difference on the power on the stock turbo?

All suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated!!

When i got mine, first thing was change brake pads, fit exhaust rims and FMIC, then turned up the boost a little, then drove it like that for 3 years, 200kw and it was a good fun car and didnt cost heaps to do

please explain how you made 200kw with an exhaust and fmic? how much is a "little" boost?